User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Car Talk
Page 63 of 68 First Previous 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67  Next Last Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-02-13, 15:40

Oh, I'm not in the market to actually get one right now. I would have ordered one this year if I wasn't a week late for the ordering window. Glad I was late in hindsight. I have other things to do with my resources than pay for a new vehicle right now.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-03-08, 07:00

The new Toyota Tacoma is coming. Spy shots and renderings fueled a recent round of new articles.

I still want the latest cabin technology improvements, but a video by a mechanic has given me caution.

The first three manufacture years of the current Tacoma were problematic, but have been anddressed and those systems are now "mature".

We often talk about not buying first generation technology here.

All things considered, I'm now hamstrung over what to do.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-03-08, 10:35

I feel like most times those things never get hammered out until you're getting to the end of the update lifecycle and then by that time, you're right back in the same boat.

Wife ordered a 2023 Land Rover 110 Defender X. Matte Black on Black rims. Pretty sick ride tbh. She won't get it until like July but as of right now, she's leasing 2 vehicles and wants to dump them both and buy one. The Range Rovers just went through a complete remodel and there was a 2+ year wait on them. At the dealership we went to, there was a 90 person wait alone. Crazy.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-03-08, 11:27

Buy a Cybertruck.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-03-08, 11:49

Our family is trending towards needing some sort of three row people mover in the next few years. The kids are getting bigger and the in-laws are getting older. I can see having to put 6-8 people and a dog in a car at least a few times a year…

I’ve been waiting to see if a new plus size Highlander tics the right boxes.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2023-03-08, 15:57

That new slightly bigger, we are talking about inches here, Grand Highlander just looks like a cash grab. Might as well just get a Lexus at that price point.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-03-22, 18:31

What kind of person would drive a Subaru?

Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-03-23, 05:27

Puts up hand... Subaru? My lesbian friends weren't that impressed. So much for that stereotype, though I have been wearing Birkenstocks the past few years..

I looked at early info on the New Honda Pilot and Grand Highlander: they now look about the same for passenger haulage. Mid-row seat and overall seat config/storage look slightly better on the Honda. Highlander comes with a couple of hybrid options, Pilot doesn't (yet).

It won't be this year at any rate. I think I'll wait for year 2/3 on these new platforms. Things can get a little pricey, but if you don't care about the name plate, the interiors and overall build do not look less than Japan's near luxury brands (Lexus/Acura), and sometimes it's better not to have too much flash...

Last edited by Matsu : 2023-03-23 at 06:39.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-03-23, 07:30

I know I’ll get laughed at, but Mini-Vans are still a thing. The Sienna is a solid platform and it’s been around for a few years now.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-03-23, 08:15

My wife has a Suburu but we both hate how it drives. Luckily it’s a lease and it’s up this summer. Already has her new car on order.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-03-23, 08:21

I know someone who buys nothing but Siennas for the past 25 years. Just got into his third, a fourth gen model incidentally. They seem pretty durable. He uses them as the family hauler for the first 6-7 years, and then demotes them to work truck duties (he's a general contractor). The gen 2 model is his current work truck.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-03-23, 08:34

I love Siennas. I'm on my second. The first lasted me 17 years before it was finally not worth repairing all that needed to happen. The version we have now is such a leap forward in time. I'm still getting annoyed with some of the breaking assist and such that interrupt my way of driving, but Mrs T loves them.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-03-23, 09:19

hmmm... for me AWD and hybrid might tick all the right boxes. We're not off-roading, but we get enough nasty weather that it's nearly a requirement for a four season car. I will have to look more closely...

drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-03-23, 12:57

I'm considering a Subaru and did want to find out if lesbianism was still associated with them

My 2003 Accord is a bit like a truck these days, so going to an off-road capable car might be okay.

Is the drive that bad? Compared to what? What is the driving experience your wife wants?

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-03-23, 13:18

This is her third Suburu I believe and she said it’s nothing like the last two. Her dad hated his new one too. Got rid of his. I hate the steering on it and the auto start stop is so herky jerky. I’m pretty sure she hasn’t driven hers in about 3 months.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-03-23, 13:41

Oyvey. Just when a lot of boxes start to get checked, I hear stuff like this. Can't you turn off those auto start/stop things.

I need to read this:
https://www.premiersubaru.com/subaru-auto-start-stop-feature.htm

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-03-23, 14:11

I don’t believe you can on hers. Her truck and my truck you can.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2023-03-23, 14:32

We have a 2015 Forester XT Turbo and adore it. Our sons have a 2009 Legacy (he is less than happy with it, it was kind of a spur of the moment 'oh shit I need a car' purchase), and a 2006 Forester (he loves it, but it needs work).

We wanted AWD for the worst winter driving crap you've ever experienced... intermittent. Not cold and constant enough to warrant studs, but changes-daily on steep terrain. Throw in a few runs over the Cascades in mid-winter, and the AWD is solid to have under you.

Best car I've ever owned? No. Worst car? Far from it.

Does my wife love it? Yep. The only thing she'd do differently is get a work truck, so that's next on the list.

As for any associations, naw, she drives a Subaru, wants a truck, wears flannel, and is the one that brought the power tools to the marriage. Obviously, those stereotypes are silly.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2023-03-23, 15:49

I haven't had time for AppleNova lately, but I just noticed Kick was making his once-per-decade appearance and I wanted to say hi!

drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-03-23, 16:33

Yontsey try this video. It looks like you CAN turn it off, but must do so every time you crank the vehicle. What a big poop!

https://youtu.be/G3rXUCvnpE4

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-03-23, 17:18

You can usually get devices that hook into the OBDII port that permanently disable auto start stop if you really don’t like it.

Best part of hybrid life is that auto start stop doesn’t matter.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-03-23, 18:12

I had a Chevy Malibu loaner a few years ago and LOATHED how it cranked up at every light. Drove me CRAZY. I understand that it may save on fuel waste.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-03-23, 18:26

Here's the Start Stop Eliminator.

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/p...top-eliminator

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2023-03-23, 19:34

Do Subarus and Chevys just have a really bad implementation of autostop/start? I haven't owned any cars with this feature, but a friend owned a VW Golf R that had it, and whenever I was riding with them as a passenger (this was a few years ago, pre-COVID), it seemed smooth, seamless, and pretty quiet. I don't recall them having any complaints about it either.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-03-23, 20:05

That's a great question. I don't have enough experience. Also: do they actually damage the engine in the long run, as everyone who hates it seems to imply.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-03-23, 22:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
That's a great question. I don't have enough experience. Also: do they actually damage the engine in the long run, as everyone who hates it seems to imply.

Depends on the vehicle, some early ones had starter issues. Most modern vehicles with auto start stop have an oversized starter to help reduce the chance of failure. There is no particular reason why it would case excessive engine ware that I can think of, it wouldn't be any different that a delivery driver that turns off the engine and starts the truck again after making the drop a few hundred times a day, or hybrids which start and stop the engine all the time as the system needs.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-03-24, 05:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Do Subarus and Chevys just have a really bad implementation of autostop/start? I haven't owned any cars with this feature, but a friend owned a VW Golf R that had it, and whenever I was riding with them as a passenger (this was a few years ago, pre-COVID), it seemed smooth, seamless, and pretty quiet. I don't recall them having any complaints about it either.
I have a GMC Sierra that has auto start/stop and it works great. This is my first truck with it though and it's a 2023. My wife also has a Ram 1500 2021 and its auto start/stop works flawlessly. That truck is a joy to drive. She's getting ride of that and getting a Land Rover Defender in June/July.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2023-03-24, 07:36

Land Rover. Oh dear, talk about mechanical nightmares, good luck.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2023-03-24, 07:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Land Rover. Oh dear, talk about mechanical nightmares, good luck.
That's her cross to bear. I've heard the same.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-03-24, 08:16

I think they're better than they used to be. Probably very nice over a typical lease. Sadly, some luxury brands have become a popular carjacking target in these parts. The Toronto area has become a bit notorious: we have more car-jackings than Chicago at last count.