Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

What's the biggest risk you've taken?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What's the biggest risk you've taken?
Phoenix
formerly "trav"

2007-05-15, 19:19

Just recently i've taken a few risks in terms of my job and a few other things, and i was wondering what were the biggest risks others have taken as well.

To give you a bit more detail, i was recently in a job earning really good money, but i wans't really enjoying it much at all anymore. I decided it was time to up and leave the job, and now i have started to work for myself. I also decided i needed a move, so I'm moving to a bigger city. It was a massive decision, because the job was really well paying, and was in the industry i want to be in. Friends and family took a long time to understand (and some still don't) how i could want to leave something that paid so well, but to understand it, i think you would need to spend a while at the job. It became so repetitive, and the people that worked there were horrible.

I hope i've made the right decision, but i think i have because i am so much happier now. I am earning a little less now but that should change once i get settled in the new place.

I was hoping you could all tell me the biggest changes or risks you've taken and wether or not they worked out. I thought it might be interesting for one thing, but it also might help me see i've made the right choice.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-05-15, 19:45

I hear ya.

I quit a very well paying job and went back for my PhD. Eight years of basically no income later, I graduated.

Considering that, on top of that, no one on my committee thought that was I was attempting was even possible... well... yeah, it was a bit of a risk.

On top of that, I had my entire family telling me for most of those 8 years that I was an idiot, which really helped a lot. Truly. :P
Wrao
Yarp

2007-05-15, 19:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
I hear ya.

I quit a very well paying job and went back for my PhD. Eight years of basically no income later, I graduated.

Considering that, on top of that, no one on my committee thought that was I was attempting was even possible... well... yeah, it was a bit of a risk.

On top of that, I had my entire family telling me for most of those 8 years that I was an idiot, which really helped a lot. Truly. :P
and now you DRIVE the bus.

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-05-15, 20:29

Quote:
Verrry helpful... Was that because of their faith or just simply being anti-intelluctual?

Phoenix, you have the right idea; pursuit of happiness is the only thing that makes sense doing. I just don't get how people squander their life either working their ass off and nothing else or wandering around aimlessly chanting "I'd like to do this, but..."

I personally will have to make decision in next few months as I love my job, it seems to be seen whether I will continue to grow professionally, and whether I want to stay in school, as though I *LOVE* to learn new stuff, I'm just not feeling passionate for what I'm studying anymore compared to what I'm currently doing in my job right now. So basically, do I want to keep doing what I'm doing what I like with the same company, or stick to my studies for eventual good paying job that I'm not 100% positively sure if I like it, or some kind of combination? I will know more as things develop in my company that will influence my decision.

Whatever it may be, I intend to whatever will make me happy.

Tangentially, did anyone watch Pursuit of Happyness with Will Smith? I thought that was a great piece of work.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-05-15, 20:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
Verrry helpful... Was that because of their faith or just simply being anti-intelluctual?
I'm the black sheep of the family - the only one not either in a blue collar job ("You don't need a college education!") or in a business role ("You just need an MBA!").

The entire concept of going back to school just to study something for the love of it is absolutely foreign to them. I finally had to fend them off by saying "I'll make a lot more money later." "Oh, well why didn't you just say so?"

I guess moving across country (WA to NC) to attend grad school the first time around, was kind of risky - I'd never lived outside of WA before, had never been to NC, hadn't visited the school...

Phoenix, follow what you love. That's pretty much it.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2007-05-15, 20:35

I've taken 3 so far.

1. Leaving a very good job as a Respiratory Therapist in my hometown to move 1300 miles to be a RT at Mass. General in Boston. The job was a complete bust (what a frigging terrible hospital), but it did lead to one of the best jobs that I have ever had (at a different hospital).

2. Leaving my Respiratory Therapy job and going back to school. Worked out well. I then went right into my other best job ever.

3. Getting married. This is without a doubt the riskiest thing I ever did.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-05-15, 20:36

Kickaha- Gotcha.

Still gotta be aggravating.

Nonetheless, you ran the marathon, and I tip my hat off to you.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-05-15, 20:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
and now you DRIVE the bus.
Straight ta hell, baby!
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-05-15, 20:47

I bought a PC. Biggest mistake ever.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-05-15, 20:51

Quote:
Straight ta hell, baby!
What's the fare?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-05-15, 21:05

Quote:
Kickaha- Gotcha.

Still gotta be aggravating.

Nonetheless, you ran the marathon, and I tip my hat off to you.
Danke. Glad it's over.

Quote:
What's the fare?
<boomingvoice>Your immorrrrrrtal soouuuuullllllll</boomingvoice>

Or a buck twenty five, whichever ya got.

Last edited by Kickaha : 2007-05-15 at 21:05. Reason: Posts merged
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-05-15, 21:09

Wow, I didn't know souls deflated that badly!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-05-15, 22:28

Quote:
Straight ta hell, baby!

Never mind me, I still don't understand.

To the OP:
I quit my well paying job too. I got tired of what I did and told them I wouldn't service the contract anymore after that current one was set to expire. I'm so glad I did too. I made the choice to go to college for the first time at the ripe age of 32. I'm glad I did too. I'm a stay at home dad with my stay at home wife and my stay at home kids. Problem is we don't "stay at home".

However, I get to be a family man and enjoy learning a skill I want, Photography. I started working with the college paper and just today have been promoted to Photo Editor! (This means I actually get paid now. )

Banana is right though, you have to pursue happiness. Sometimes it means taking steps of faith and even stepping back financially. I can tell you, last August I had no idea how good I had it until last September! Now I'm doing fine having had a few months to adjust. It sucks not being able to go out and buy the new MB, or a Mini for fun though. I wouldn't trade my time with my family for that money now though. Those things just aren't worth it. Life's to short to be a slave to something you don't enjoy or have any interest in.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-05-15, 22:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post

Never mind me, I still don't understand.
It's pretty simple, really. I don't believe in the classical Christian concept of Hell any more than I do the Greek Hades, or Carroll's Wonderland. They're all equally fictitious, in my opinion, so they have the same weight of reality in my speech. That's all.

"Going to hell in a handbasket" as a colloquialism for chaos somehow got transmuted in popular culture to "On the bus to hell". Driving the bus would be the head chaos position. That'd be me, tongue firmly in cheek.

It's rather like the use of the term 'Mecca' in Western culture. To a devout Muslim, it's somewhere between blasphemy and just-not-right. To anyone not Muslim, it's just a word to mean 'the absolute center point'. I'm sure they don't get it either.

---------

Very cool getting to stay home with the family. I've been trying to imagine what I'll do when/if kids enter the picture, and oy.

Last edited by Kickaha : 2007-05-15 at 22:50.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-05-15, 22:53

I went snorkeling in one of the giant hot springs at Yellowstone. I wore a special dry-suit with thermal regulating micro-fibers, continuously monitored by a specially modified iPod.

...into the light of a dark black night.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2007-05-15, 23:00

Quote:
It's pretty simple, really. I don't believe in the classical Christian concept of Hell any more than I do the Greek Hades, or Carroll's Wonderland.
Wait a minute now, you told me the rides were great in Carol's wonderland.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-05-15, 23:02

oh snap!
Partial
Stallion

2007-05-15, 23:03

Quote:

Phoenix, you have the right idea; pursuit of happiness is the only thing that makes sense doing. I just don't get how people squander their life either working their ass off and nothing else or wandering around aimlessly chanting "I'd like to do this, but..."

I personally will have to make decision in next few months as I love my job, it seems to be seen whether I will continue to grow professionally, and whether I want to stay in school, as though I *LOVE* to learn new stuff, I'm just not feeling passionate for what I'm studying anymore compared to what I'm currently doing in my job right now. So basically, do I want to keep doing what I'm doing what I like with the same company, or stick to my studies for eventual good paying job that I'm not 100% positively sure if I like it, or some kind of combination? I will know more as things develop in my company that will influence my decision.

Whatever it may be, I intend to whatever will make me happy.

Tangentially, did anyone watch Pursuit of Happyness with Will Smith? I thought that was a great piece of work.
Get a degree and display a good work ethic. You an go into any field (within reason) and do quite well for yourself. Hard workers who are intelligent are rare and can be trained to do anything. Degree is pretty irrelevant after your first job. You're destined to accomplish big things my friend.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-05-15, 23:07

swam across a crocodile and shark infested river...

that was probably my largest risk taking maneuver and i did it without much consideration...

what this means is that i don't actually assess the risk of acts i take. i don't think you can live well that way.

Last edited by billybobsky : 2007-05-16 at 00:45. Reason: changed with to without
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-05-15, 23:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensdanny38 View Post
Get a degree and display a good work ethic. You an go into any field (within reason) and do quite well for yourself. Hard workers who are intelligent are rare and can be trained to do anything. Degree is pretty irrelevant after your first job. You're destined to accomplish big things my friend.
Actually, I already have a degree. I'm in for a second.

I do agree with you that degree is basically irrelevant after you have made some successes in your professional development, and that's exactly where I am now. As I said, I will know more about what I want to do in few months from now.

Thanks for your words of encouragement.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2007-05-16, 19:21

I exceeded the friend zone.

So far it's proven to be a very good idea.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2007-05-16, 19:28

Breaking up with someone who needed me and whom I needed at the moment after seven years of living "happily ever after".

I'm still not sure if it was the right decision (neither do I really bother). She's pregnant now, 4 years after Jules, and seems to be very happy. I'm still the same guy: 25 years old forever

A black hole is where god divided by zero.
http://settuno.com/
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-05-16, 19:31

And you don't look a day over 35.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2007-05-16, 19:50

I would never lie about my age: older man are oftenly percieved as more interesting