AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

Free SPAZ weekend

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Free SPAZ weekend
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2013-06-28, 08:56

If you've never played it, go check it out on Steam. 150MB download, like EV Nova on crack.

Two developers made the whole thing, and I think it's on sale for $2 right now if you wanted to buy it. Out of every game in my Steam library, I've put the most hours into SPAZ over the years.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-06-28, 11:15

That's "Space Pirates and Zombies", fwiw.

Also, EV Nova on crack? And available for Mac? I think I'm sold.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2013-06-28, 11:58

there's a native linux/mac/PC version for those interested.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-06-28, 20:52

Did Somebody Say "space Pirates"????

HELLO???!!!!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-06-30, 12:59

Bought it.

And yes, Drew, space pirates.

...and zombies and bounty hunters

I played it for a few yours yesterday and Friday night. It's fun and very pretty, but the mouse-driven steering controls are hard to get into my brain after having played EV and other asteroids-style games with WASD for so long.

It does feel a bit simple when compared to Escape Velocity: Nova (which I haven't played in years) or even the earlier EV games. Maybe this will change later in the game (I don't get the feeling it will), but starting out, there are only two main factions to deal with: the government and civilians. Reputation is also simplified in that it doesn't extend beyond a single star system; you can be hated by civilians in one star system and adored by them in the next system over. I guess that makes the game easier, but it makes the continuity in the game inconsistent. Recurring characters or missions that remember you span across systems, but your general reputation doesn't? Seems weird.

Also, the writing is pretty bad. It's not deliberately bad; it's amateurish bad. It feels like it was written by an angsty high schooler in creative writing class. I find myself rushing through the occasional conversations between characters. Fortunately, there's not a lot of time spent reading these exchanges.

Still, for a measly $2 on sale? Go for it. Even for the normal $10 price, if you enjoy top-down space shooters, definitely consider it.

I don't think I'll be trying to complete SPAZ like I did the Escape Velocity games. (I tried to complete several if not all of the EV: Nova story lines.) It'll be a fun way to blast away a few hours here and there, though.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2013-06-30, 15:14

It does seem under-developed. Missions are limited in complexity. There's no way to not be a marauding sociopath hellbent on profits from mining.