Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Redstone Eccentricities

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Redstone Eccentricities
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-06-25, 21:38

Figure out something neat or something bad about redstone circuits? Post it here, suckers!

I'll start. I've been observing Bruce's mob trap and have come to an interesting conclusion. While I am not sure how the redstone wiring itself is affected by teleporting, what I do know is that the sorting hoppers are the cause of all the ruckus Bruce noticed. Typically, when you load a hopper for sorting, you place the item you want sorted to the far left, and some random crap in the 4 bins to the right (all of the same flavor, say, sugar or brains). As stuff falls into the system, the comparators choose the item to the left and pass it on to the collection bucket, whatever that happens to be. This only works if the hopper's filter is arranged as noted: Item to be saved in the left bin, with same/equal items in the right 4 bins. If this arrangement is not followed, then the hopper will pass along whatever items are in it's 4 inventory bins. So, if the hopper has one of five different items in each inventory bin, then those five items get passed through the comparator and nothing else does. If there is one item in the left bin, and same/equal items in the right 4 bins, then only that item in the left bin gets passed along. It's simple and works very well!

Until you teleport out or quit the game. At that point, the four same/equal bins fall off their rockers and drop through the system. Those four inventory items are then replaced with random crap that happens to be floating around in the system. So, it is not the redstone itself that is Troublamatic™, but the sorting hopper that is immediately upstream of the comparator. Oddly, I usually only see 1-3 sorting hoppers that are affected, where the mob trap contains a few dozen of them. While only a few hoppers are typically affected, they are sometimes always the same, and sometimes always not.

Grey and I discovered that this bug is not only present in mega-complex sorting systems like the trap, but also in super-simple ones like the flower farms. I haven't investigated the farms, yet, but they were getting stuck in a water circuit that dumped water but never got to the next step, which seemed to be entirely related to the redstone circuits themselves getting stuck.

Two different systems, two different problems. Perhaps Grey has done more investigation since he built them?

Anyway, it seems that any redstone circuitry is affected by teleporting/game-leaving, but the only systems I have seen so far that get hung up are those with some sort of filter.

What it gets right down to is this: Complex redstone systems in areas where there is a lot of teleporting are susceptible to Redstone Bugs. This means that any systems that exist in areas of high traffic (say, uh, Spawn) are susceptible to unintentional—but easily repairable (if not annoying)—damage, provided you know where to look. The more complex the system, the harder the trouble is to find—unless you built it.

Interestingly, Brad and I were discussing this in-game earlier tonight and he made mention of something Jeb tweeted regarding known performance issues relating to redstone and multi-player maps. Perhaps he can shed more light on that.

I've started working with redstone and still don't entirely understand it, but I'm eager to learn more. So, if you have something to contribute that might be helpful, do tell! And remember: Some of us read more better in pitchers!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)