AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Post your iOS device home screen

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Post your iOS device home screen
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2011-10-22, 21:36

This thread made me want to update the background on my home screen, which has been the default water droplets since restoring to iOS 5. Now it's a cool desert highway.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2011-10-22, 22:23

Wallpaper: http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/1985/jilljd.jpg
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2011-11-17, 15:34

Finally fixed my server, all my apple nova piccies and other nonsense should be back now
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2011-11-17, 15:58

Here is my home screen.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-11-29, 10:52

I've updated mine a bit.

Untitled by kieran_m_kelly, on Flickr

Changed the background to Scates' orange wallpaper to match my orange bumper and added Stemped to my homescreen. I really like this little app already. If you like something, you stamp it. Anything. It's really simple and very well designed.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
¡Damned!

2011-12-08, 09:10

I haven't updated my background in ages, but finally found something that put a bug up my bum to do so:

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2012-12-19, 14:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
I've updated mine a bit.

Untitled by kieran_m_kelly, on Flickr

Changed the background to Scates' orange wallpaper to match my orange bumper and added Stemped to my homescreen. I really like this little app already. If you like something, you stamp it. Anything. It's really simple and very well designed.
Updated my iPhone a little bit.

iPhone 4S home screen by kieran_m_kelly, on Flickr

Also have my iPad mini to share.

iPad mini home screen by kieran_m_kelly, on Flickr

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2013-02-07, 14:13

I jailbroke my phone and iPad yesterday. I've not done anything interesting visually on my iPad yet, but here's what my phone looks like now.

Home Screen, with a photo of my son:

Lock Screen, with the random photo that came with the theme:

The unlock slider and camera grabber are both invisible, but they work perfectly anyway. When I have time, I'll write up everything I used, but for now, you can get the theme from this reddit thread.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-12-02, 14:29

The new app Homescreen reminded me of this thread.

Figured it was time for an updated screenshot in here.

iPhone 6 home screen.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-12-02, 15:18

Here's mine. Been this way for a long time...with the brighter, simpler icons that came with iOS 7 last year, I didn't want a colored background clashing. So I've been sporting this neutral gray/slate wallpaper...everything pops nicely.

PS - Our home rows are the same! Since day one I've kept my communication/Internet apps down there like that, so they're always accessible.

Also, I think I'm the only person who keeps the stock Apple stuff on the main page. I just always have, for seven-plus years now. Just feels right to me...I've tried doing other things, but it drives me nuts. After seven years, you get used to a certain way. All third-party stuff (or any non-stock Apple apps) go on the second page...I only have 12 of those currently, with most in a folder (Apple, Entertainment, Games and Reference), so the only spaces I'm using are for six icons. I think I might have one of the most barebones, third-party-free iPhones out there.

Apple folder: AirPort Utility, Apple Store, Find iPhone
Entertainment: Fandango, TV Guide, YouTube
Games: Boggle, Scrabble
Reference: AroundMe, Mactracker

Second row, sitting out by themselves: myAT&T app (check my usage, billing, etc.) and Weather Channel
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-12-02, 15:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
PS - Our home rows are the same! Since day one I've kept my communication/Internet apps down there like that, so they're always accessible.
I think I saw you post a screenshot way back when and shamelessly copied it from you. it just makes sense for me.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-12-02, 16:06

Yeah, I just always liked the idea of those four things being there on the bottom, always available.

It's weird...looking at the Safari icon, it hits me just how goofy and out-of-place it looks. I never noticed before. Why is it white around its perimeter like that? I guess they want to emphasize the round, compass motif? But if you think about a real compass, its face is often white (like a watch). I'd reverse those...I'd make the outer icon edge blue with a white compass face.

But they didn't ask me.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-12-03, 22:14

I keep mine pretty clean on the front page:

I only have two pages of apps. The second page keeps them in folder with the exception of my most used.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-12-04, 07:38

Surprised to see you use the default Podcasts app. Have you tried any of the others?

I switched over to Overcast when it came out and it's really nice.

Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2014-12-04, 08:30

Here’s mine:

I can’t recommend the GpsInfo or EasyLogger apps, but I’m still using them. Most of my third-party apps seem to be on the second or third page.

The yellow/orange Wallpaper contrasts nicely with my black iPhone 5.

Like turtle, I don’t have the Phone app in my Dock. I don’t make calls as often as I use the four things I do have in my Dock, and to receive calls I don’t need to hunt around for the app anyway.

Currently (for the last three months or so) I’ve kept my apps in alphabetical order. Not sure if I like that or not – when I add an app beginning with ‘A’, all the apps after it get moved, which means hunting for them. But at least I know roughly where to hunt for them, since they’re alphabetically arranged. It doesn’t help that my moronic bank (the red and black icon) has called its app “The app” (in French).

As you can see, I’ve switched off the battery percentage indicator. I was paying undue attention to it.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.

Last edited by Dorian Gray : 2014-12-04 at 08:42.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-12-04, 17:22

Quote:
Surprised to see you use the default Podcasts app. Have you tried any of the others?

I switched over to Overcast when it came out and it's really nice.
I haven't tried any other apps. I only listen to the Podcasts in my truck so this "works". I guessI could try Overcast though since I do listen to podcasts at least twice most days.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-12-05, 08:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I haven't tried any other apps. I only listen to the Podcasts in my truck so this "works". I guessI could try Overcast though since I do listen to podcasts at least twice most days.
Have they added the ability to sync OTA to Podcasts.app? Just thinking about how much that missing from the app made me want to switch.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-12-05, 10:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
Here’s mine:

The yellow/orange Wallpaper contrasts nicely with my black iPhone 5.
I like that background. I've made my own for so long, I don't think I've even looked to see what's available, stock, in iOS 7 and 8...I might be surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
Currently (for the last three months or so) I’ve kept my apps in alphabetical order. Not sure if I like that or not – when I add an app beginning with ‘A’, all the apps after it get moved, which means hunting for them. But at least I know roughly where to hunt for them, since they’re alphabetically arranged.
I dabbled with that arrangement as well, several years ago. I could never quite get comfortable with it (which is weird, because I'm a bit of a neatness/order freak, and tend to love things being in alphabetical or numerical order anywhere else! I do have them ordered alphabetically within their specific groupings/clusters below.

My apps are grouped together my purpose/function (as much as possible...some of these recent editions make it tougher than before, and I'm often tweaking/finessing it), and that's the way I've done it for 3-4 years now (maybe longer).

Row 1: Dual, two-app clusters re: photography and travel/navigation
Row 2: All my media...purchased, downloaded, etc. Anything I play, listen to or watch
Row 3: The various stores (or places I get much of the above from)...paired the two blatant "store" ones together, and then the two reading/publication-oriented ones as well
Row 4: Health and Passbook seem similar in purpose/function (a gathering place for similar info/function), Stocks and Weather original iOS widgets (I've always had them side-by-side)
Row 5: FaceTime (at bottom, near all the other communication apps), all my PDA-oriented stuff in a folder, the new Tips and I've always kept Settings in the lower right corner of my homepage

Home dock: phone, texting, email and Internet (if there was room for five icons, FaceTime would go here too). I sometimes think about putting FaceTime down here in place of Safari, then my entire bottom dock is all communication-oriented apps. But the idea of three green icons and one blue one bothers me.

Most of the above, I've had it this way on my iPhone since 2010 (or earlier), so it's all automatic and no-brainer now (I've always put the camera and photo apps together in the upper left corner, always had the compass and maps apps in the upper right, etc.). I don't even really have to look. But Health and Tips have entered the mix recently, so it's kinda thrown off my mojo. I still tweak my fourth and fifth row, trying to find a better, sensible arrangement.

I'm already thinking ahead to next year and how I'll have it all on my iPhone 6s. (mostly like the above, except I'll have an extra row available so I'll probably bring my non-stock Apple apps folder over from my second page and maybe break a few things out from the PDA folder (or maybe iOS 9 will introduce another stock app or two?

That's just kinda sad, I realize.

It still amazes me, after all the talk more than a year ago for iOS 7 about unifying, etc. just still, even in iOS 8, what a disparate mishmash of styles and approaches are still present in the iOS icons. Gradients going different ways, some apps use clean white symbols/glyphs, while others use smaller, more cluttered images (I despise the Newsstand icon, but not nearly as much as I do Game Center, Photos and Passbook).

It truly looks like about 3-5 different groups within Apple worked on the icons, never sharing their progress or ideas among one another, and that they only see the work of the others when it's all revealed at WWDC.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2014-12-05 at 10:22.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-12-05, 10:18

There's been talk that Beats will be made a stock app, so that could always work into your mix.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-12-05, 10:23

Would it be music? A new store? I didn't know Beats had a software component. I just thought they were popular headphones.

Hey, I wish I had a Ping app!

Man, talk about something crashing and burning. Wait, I take that back...to "crash" would imply that something actually got off the ground and flew for a bit. It just...burned. Someone threw some matches and gasoline on it while it sat on the tarmac.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-12-05, 10:42

Beats Music

Very interesting actually. I tried it for a while on a trial basis, but I just don't want to spend $10 on yet another monthly service.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2014-12-05, 13:23

Quote:
Have they added the ability to sync OTA to Podcasts.app? Just thinking about how much that missing from the app made me want to switch.
You can download/sync OTA if you want to (it's turned off by default to save your data allowance) but you can't stream yet. Apparently that's nigh on the list for the next version.

EDIT: Nevermind, thought you were talking about Overcast.

Yes, Podcasts.app does now sync OTA.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-12-05, 14:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
You can download/sync OTA if you want to (it's turned off by default to save your data allowance) but you can't stream yet. Apparently that's nigh on the list for the next version.

EDIT: Nevermind, thought you were talking about Overcast.

Yes, Podcasts.app does now sync OTA.
Glad they finally added that to Podcasts.app.

Streaming for Overcast isn't that big of an issue for me and I'm still on the unlimited plan so I download it all.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-12-06, 10:53

Quote:
Sorry to not get back with you not this, I got pretty sick a few days ago and am finally out of bed. Yes it does sync OTA. I have cellular disabled even though I don't need it, but it updates there too if you want.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-03-06, 18:13

Years later and I’m still using the same home screen on my phone. I’ve changes phones and carriers a number of times... I just love rough seas.

Edit: Hmmm... I should shrink that some.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2020-03-07, 10:28

Whoa. Haven't used Imgur isn a long time. No idea how to resize that one.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-03-07, 11:48

Glad that wasn't an elbow butt!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-03, 15:01

I'm really torn now. iOS 14 no longer allows a blank page on your home screen. Now I have to figure out what I want front and center. . I am at least glad I can "hide" offloaded apps by moving them to the App Library on my phone. This keeps their data in Health App, as an example, as opposed to deleting the app and the data with it. Years of FitBit data gone after Google bought them.

Looking back over this thread though I realize how much I miss really textured icons. I'm glad to see the "super flat" is fading and we are more in the middle of the two types at least.

Edit: As much as a like my home screen just my wall paper, maybe I need to rethink what handful of apps I really use and let everything else go to the App Library. Those categories line up with my folders I've created anyway... I don't like change unless I initiated it dang it!

Last edited by turtle : 2020-09-03 at 15:20.