Special Event 10Sep2020?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Special Event 10Sep2020?
Page 4 of 4 Previous 1 2 3 [4]  Thread Tools
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2020-09-14, 23:13

We still use our 2 daily.

I don't know why, but I just don't trust the Smart TVs with being able to see everything I watch.

I know they're expensive for what they are, but they're super simple to use, usually have very good apps (the ones we need), and are solid devices.

I'll upgrade when/if they're updated, but the 4K one I bought in 2018 is still working just fine.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-09-15, 03:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
No need for smart TVs
Well, unfortunately for Apple's hardware sales, that will go away. Basically any TV you'd buy today is "smart".

So either their plan is to just make the Apple TV hardware a legacy product and slowly phase it out over time, or they want to emphasize some unique edges — like being able to play Apple Arcade games, say. For a living room game console, it's not at all pricey.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2020-09-15, 07:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
We still use our 2 daily.

I don't know why, but I just don't trust the Smart TVs with being able to see everything I watch.

I know they're expensive for what they are, but they're super simple to use, usually have very good apps (the ones we need), and are solid devices.

I'll upgrade when/if they're updated, but the 4K one I bought in 2018 is still working just fine.
My smart TV hasn’t been connected to my network and it never will be. Been waiting to upgrade to an Apple TV 4K model until the next one is released.

Wish they’d do something about the remote though. The only thing it gets used for in my house is to touch the glass top to activate screensaver descriptions. Otherwise, I’m using my $750 phone to control my $169 video player.

Edit: the thing that shall not be mentioned has also occurred.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-15, 08:49

Like bassplayingMacFiend, my "smart" TVs aren't connected to any network. They might be designed as smart TVs, but they are dumb when not allowed to network.

For me it isn't about available menus, apps, or content provided to me at all. For me it is all about the tracking and privacy I give away when I allow my TV to phone home ever.

In other news, I just read this:
Quote:
Apple Watch SE: Mark Gurman and Evan Blass have both seemingly confirmed that the new cheaper Apple Watch will be called the Apple Watch SE
:barf:

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-09-15, 09:19

I just use an old Mac Mini on my TV (not smart), because there are way more options, and not stuck with Apple content. I know I’m the odd ball on this, but I also use it for watching physical media, so the external SuperDrive is nice to have. Play Blu-rays though an Xbox. Apple TV doesn’t appeal at all.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-15, 11:56

I'm ready to watch. Taking my lunch late and getting to first hour "uninterrupted".
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2020-09-15, 12:13

I'm watching because the bosses want me to cover this in case we can find work use cases for any new HW or SW. New threads for each product incoming for me as usual! assuming no customer calls.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-15, 12:31

"Here's Frank" - speaks for 30 seconds

"Here's Flippy" - speaks for 30 seconds

"Here's Paulywog" - speaks for 30 seconds

Sheesh. How many people do they need?

Uh, oh. I think there's an unchecked box down there.

"Here's poopy-anne" - speaks for 30 seconds.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-15, 12:33

I have to admit, all the jabbering sucks. I know they are marketing and selling their products to us as consumers, but so much.... talk. Filler to me.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2020-09-15, 12:34

Um, did Apple just murder Peloton?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-15, 12:41

Seriously, how many people do they have? And who the hell is Ted?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-09-15, 17:05

This event is… very mixed. Several sections are bad. Some are OK to pretty good. None are truly outstanding.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-15, 17:20

I did like the Craig Federighi teases. Thought those were well done.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-15, 17:59

Yeah, those were nice throw ins.
chucker

2020-09-15, 18:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I did like the Craig Federighi teases. Thought those were well done.
Yes. Those (I caught two) were cute.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2020-09-16, 02:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
It's an online event. Just avoid social media and watch it when you get a chance.

Excellent. Now that you've put that in writing, it probably means the Diabetes Monitoring solution is ready.
Yawn. Apple One Premium!
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2020-09-16, 02:56

Quote:
Uh.... no.
chucker

2020-09-16, 03:21

Quote:
Fitness+ does still require an Apple Watch. If Peloton plays this smart, they'll do things like partner up with Fitbit.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-09-16, 07:38

How accurate do we think the rumor mill was this year?

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-16, 11:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
How accurate do we think the rumor mill was this year?

Things the rumor mills claimed that have yet to exist:

Smaller HomePod
ARM MacBook 12"
ARM MacBook Air 13"
ARM MacBook Pro 14"
ARM iMac
Apple Tag things
New iMac Pro
New AirPods (SE?)
iPad Pro 5
iPhone 12

So far, not very accurate at all. But the year still has 3.5 months left in it, and the mills did guess a few things right.

The iPhone 12 is the only obvious thing on that list, and we all know that is coming soon. We don't need the rumor mills for that.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2020-09-18, 02:16

Disagree, so far it’s been extremely accurate
chucker

2020-09-18, 03:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Things the rumor mills claimed that have yet to exist:

Smaller HomePod
ARM MacBook 12"
ARM MacBook Air 13"
ARM MacBook Pro 14"
ARM iMac
Apple Tag things
New iMac Pro
New AirPods (SE?)
iPad Pro 5
iPhone 12

So far, not very accurate at all. But the year still has 3.5 months left in it, and the mills did guess a few things right.

The iPhone 12 is the only obvious thing on that list, and we all know that is coming soon. We don't need the rumor mills for that.
A lot of those seem more "well, they might do that!" than rumors with actual substance.

Smaller HomePod: yeah, maybe? I mean, if you went by early-2000s' Apple standards, it's quite a successful product ($2 billion-ish a year). It's just, compared to the massive stuff like the iPhone, it's very small. A $179 variant would certainly increase volume, and might help upsell some to the $299 one. I really wish they'd change some of the limitations, though. Give it a proper power cord and some kind of wired input.

ARM MacBook 12"
ARM MacBook Air 13"
ARM MacBook Pro 14"
ARM iMac: we'll almost certainly see one of these, since Cook promised as much. The pattern compared to the 2006 Intel transition would be to have an iMac and a 16-inch MacBook Pro, followed by a Mac mini. I dunno about that this time. I think they'll leave one Intel MacBook Air model around offer ARM-based 12-inch and 13-inch MacBooks Air, looking like a mix of the 2015 MacBook and the 2018 Air. A bit thicker than the MacBook, to accommodate the keyboard. (The butterfly's reputation is presumably burnt.)

Apple Tag things: well, we have seen various leaks in software. It might still be that they've quietly canceled this effort, though. Maybe them offering new APIs for Tile and others to hook into in iOS 12 is an indicator of that, or maybe they did that to fend off antitrust suits, or maybe they were planning to all along.

New iMac Pro: it's increasingly looking like the iMac Pro was a one-off. If they wanted to do another Intel-based one, the new CPUs for that came late last year, and new ones aren't coming this year. ARM-based? Maybe. That'd be quite weird to start with, though, other than as an FU to Intel.

New AirPods (SE?): I think it's not that unlikely that the AirPods Studio get introduced at the inevitable iPhone event in October. (Same for AirTags?)

iPad Pro 5: I never understood why people were expecting another iPad Pro. Yes, the early-2020 one was clearly a very minor upgrade, but if they were planning to ship another in fall, why bother with that upgrade at all?

iPhone 12: almost certainly intro'd in October. I hope the rumors that the iPhone 4-like design is making a return are true. I never quite liked the switch in the iPhone 6, which I would argue the edges are still derivative off even in the iPhone 11.

TL;DR: I do expect at least one ARM Mac before 2021. I also expect iPhone 12. AirPods and AirTags seem plausible.

Will they do one more event, or two? My guess is one, which focuses on iPhone 12, then does minor segments on AirPods and AirTags, and finally, as the One More Thing™, shows the first ARM Mac.

They already showed, briefly, the A14. They can reiterate some of those talking points for the iPhone 12, and then build upon them for the Mac (A14M.1 or whatever), with "look at how much this scales!". But that one will likely be a mid-range Mac, so next year, as the higher-end ones trickle in, it'll scale even more.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-09-18, 10:53

Oh, I expect all of those things to happen—eventually. But they have not up to this point. Considering the rumor mills have claimed many of them for each of the past several successive events proves that the rumor mills are not accurate. They are guessing more than anything; that they occasionally guess right does not make them "accurate".

Don't get me wrong; sometimes the "insiders" give up accurate information and things are put into place. For instance, at the very last minute the rumor mills had the right products for release at this most recent event. Also keep in mind that only a week prior, they were predicting a 14" MacBook pro. A few weeks before that, iPones. Only in the closing minutes did things get jumbled around enough that it became "accurate".

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-09-18 at 11:43.
chucker

2020-09-18, 12:50

I think it depends on the product line. We’ve seen rumors of an iPhone 4-like iPhone 12 for months, and I expect those to be accurate. For the Watch and Mac, there seems to be far less info. For software, almost nothing, because there’s no supply chain.