AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Post your Home Theater setup pics

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Post your Home Theater setup pics
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2006-09-17, 23:16

Im looking at buying a new receiver and center channel. This is the receiver I was looking at. I dont need anything fancy, just something more updated from what I got with a little more power. I would love any other recommendations. As far as the receiver goes, Im not looking to spend more than about $250. I would like it to be one that Best Buy stocks too because they are sending me a $130 gift card that I am going to use towards it.

As for the center channel. I dont really have any idea what brand is good to go with. I dont wanna spend more than about $200 for a center channel but I can be flexable if its worth so. Any kind of recommendation would be great. I was looking at this one.

On a seprate note, I have 2 questions. 1. If i unhook my subwoofer from my surround system, will the bass come out of my front 2 speakers instead because I have 2 rather large pioneer towers that have nice subs in them and sound great but they dont get any of the bass. 2. Is getting monster speaker wire worth the price????

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey

Last edited by Yontsey : 2006-09-17 at 23:27.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-09-18, 00:15

Um...I have...a 20" Magnavox...but it has component input!

That's my dream TV right now. 23-inch, widescreen, 720p, HDMI...and it looks nice, to boot. If I can convince my dad to pay for half of it as a graduation present, I'll spring for it.

As for a home theater system...I'll worry about that down the road. Like, never.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-09-18, 18:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Im looking at buying a new receiver and center channel. This is the receiver I was looking at. I dont need anything fancy, just something more updated from what I got with a little more power. I would love any other recommendations. As far as the receiver goes, Im not looking to spend more than about $250. I would like it to be one that Best Buy stocks too because they are sending me a $130 gift card that I am going to use towards it.

As for the center channel. I dont really have any idea what brand is good to go with. I dont wanna spend more than about $200 for a center channel but I can be flexable if its worth so. Any kind of recommendation would be great. I was looking at this one.

On a seprate note, I have 2 questions. 1. If i unhook my subwoofer from my surround system, will the bass come out of my front 2 speakers instead because I have 2 rather large pioneer towers that have nice subs in them and sound great but they dont get any of the bass. 2. Is getting monster speaker wire worth the price????
Center channel: Get one that matches your fronts. Preferably, get another one of your fronts to use as a center. The midrange-tweeter-midrange arrangement that so many manufacturers use is hard to get right, and few have to date. Even the Paradigm center I'm using needs some help, but it's hard to get only one non-center speaker from Paradigm.

Monster Cable: Don't waste your money. Check out BlueJeansCable.com and Monoprice.com for cables.

Subwoofer: Not necessarily. You have to go into your receiver's settings and turn off the subwoofer, otherwise you'll actually *lose* more low-end because of the crossover (it redirects low frequencies from the speakers to the sub). Unless your receiver has some sort of auto-detect, but that would probably require rerunning the auto-calibration. I don't even think my Yamaha RX-V2600 does that. (On a side note, auto-calibration doesn't work well. Spend the $20 on an SPL meter at Radioshack and do it right)
Foj
Veteran Member

2007-01-12, 19:05

Not exactly high end, but hey, it works for me.
Partial
Stallion

2007-01-14, 18:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
We're building a home theater soon. We just bought a new house with a game room that will work well as a home theater.

None of this is finalized yet, but:

Receiver: Denon AVR-3806
Projector: Optoma H79 (I hope the Ruby (Sony VPL VW100) comes down in price enough by August to get it)
DVD Player: Not sure yet, maybe the Denon DVM-1815
Screen: Maybe a Stewart, probably a Dalite
Subwoofer: Either SVS, HSU or Velodyne
Speakers: I've only done internet research so far. Once I start listening I'll get a better idea, but I plan on looking at the Paradigm Monitor series, Energy Connoisseur, Axiom Audio, Ascend Acoustics and Bowers & Wilkens.

We're going to paint the room a dark color, maybe taupe, and use blackout curtains on the windows. The screen will be on the long wall (18x15ft). The room is already wired for surround sound. It has a closet that's perfect for an equipment rack and snack bar.

When you open the closet door, it has a a closet on either side. One will be an equipment rack, and we're going to put a mini-fridge and microwave on the other side.

I'm thinking about building some acoustic panels, but I haven't even been in the room yet, so who knows what the acoustics are like.

Ryan, did you get this up and running yet? If so, lets see some pics!!
intlplby
Veteran Member

2007-01-14, 18:22

i put this in the computer setup but it can go here too

atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2007-01-14, 20:52

Not your typical home theater setup; here's some specs...
  • contrast ratio orders of magnitude higher than LCD panels and projectors
  • power consumption a fraction of other home theater setups
  • tactile controls do not need looking at for adjustment
  • grabs television content out of thin air, free of charge... I've never paid a cable bill
  • built-in uninterruptible power supply in case of blackout (provided by 9 D cells)
  • not likely to get stolen in case of break-in
Seems like a winner to me.

You ask me for a hamburger.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2007-01-14, 20:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by intlplby View Post
i put this in the computer setup but it can go here too
Hey there intlplby, what's that thing next to the left tube amp?

Ryan
Veteran Member

2007-01-14, 21:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensdanny38 View Post
Ryan, did you get this up and running yet? If so, lets see some pics!!
Look up a few posts up.

Next month we'll be adding a Lumagen HDQ video processor and Prismasonic H1200 lens, to turn it into a constant height setup. At that point, we're also going to replace the DVD player with something modded for SDI.

My parents decided they didn't trust me with picking out the equipment, which is why we didn't get much of the equipment I was going to get. The projector and speakers were my choice (not that I had one when it came to speakers, it was either Paradigm or M&K). They hired a local installer instead. It was hard enough just convincing the guy to order a 2.35:1 screen, much less to get a Mitsubishi projector.

Edit: The screen is 46x110", BTW.
Edna Crabtree

2007-01-14, 21:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans View Post

• grabs television content out of thin air, free of charge... I've never paid a cable bill
  • built-in uninterruptible power supply in case of blackout (provided by 9 D cells)

AtomicBB:

Yep, that's a winner. Matter of fact, the only "loser," is the poor dude on the screen. Well, there's always the Pro Bowl, Phyllis!
Edna Crabtree

2007-01-14, 21:54

*maybe*

Mitsubishi WD-52631 DLP
Yamaha RX-V1600 Receiver
LG LDA-511 DVD Player
DirectTV HD Satellite Receiver, TIVO
Klipsch RB-51s
Pair Sonance Symphony S622TR
Klipsch RC-52 Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch RW-10D Sub
Wii
Xbox 1.0
Totally boss snack tray
NFL Sunday Ticket

Last edited by Edna Crabtree : 2007-01-14 at 22:07.
CitizenTony

2007-01-14, 23:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenTony View Post

The plan (once I move into my house) is to flush mount the speakers and TV into a false wall so that nothing sticks out. For movies I plan to get a projector and have the screen come down in front of the TV. But that's all into the future.
So plans don't always play out. I've moved into my new house, but just hung the screen back on the wall and the speakers still sit on the cabinet. Oh well. I like it and it works. I still want the projector, but that's for the future.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-01-15, 01:57

My system that I'm ready to start building in my attic:

Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 235
Speakers: Onix Rocket X-LS (4) and X-CS (1)
Infinite Baffle Subwoofer:
>>Amp: BEHRINGER A500 Reference Power Amp 2 x 230W
>>Drivers: Mach 5 Audio MJ-18 (2)

This is right around $1K from the right places, and I'm seeing if my parents will upgrade our TV so I can get a hold of our 27" CRT (480p)

I already own a nice 5 disk Yamaha CD changer, and some other AV stuff.

Right now I'm running a Logitech z-5500 system, which sounds incredible for $210, but is nothing compared to the depth and power of an IB subwoofer and real speakers!
intlplby
Veteran Member

2007-01-15, 03:35

it's a hookah for tobacco. i like orange or apple flavored....

very under appreciated in the US... everyone here thinks hookahs are just for pot.... the anti-arabic sentiment doesn't help with getting any legitimate hookah bars opened up in the US.... however raleigh, NC got their first on on Hillsborough street this past year.... if you've never tried one i recommend it.....
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-01-15, 03:43

hooka bars are tight
Partial
Stallion

2007-01-15, 12:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
hooka bars are tight

if you like cancer, I suppose.

Anyway, lets not threadjack this!!
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-01-15, 13:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensdanny38 View Post
if you like cancer, I suppose.

Anyway, lets not threadjack this!!

Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-01-15, 22:53

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2007-10-10, 22:12

Bumpage brought to you by POWERTHIRST

So, I've decided to spend some of my hard earned second job dollars and start upgrading my home theater. My current one is only about 5 years old, but I went the bang for the buck route while still in undergrad. So I decided to build piece by piece this time.

Purchased so far:
- Harman/Kardon AVR 645 ($460)
- Harman/Kardon DVD-37 upscaling (720p, 1080i) DVD player ($70)

In the pipeline:
- Panasonic 42" plasma (TH-42PX77U)
- Infinity Beta 50 speakers (FL, FR)
- Infinity Beta C360 (center)

A work in progress and probably one future eviction notice due to noise complaints, but who the heck cares.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
Fullthrottledesigns

2008-01-14, 13:58

Here is my home theatre set up, I finished it up after finishing up the remodel of my basement.

Video Equipment Specs:
Vizio 47" LCD 1080p HDTV
Pioneer HDMI Receiver
Sony HDMI upconverting DVD Player

Surround Sound Specs:
Infinity Interlude Series
Front: IL 60 - Rear - IL10 - Center: IL 25 - Sub: IL100

Heres a before to give you an idea!!
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2008-01-14, 14:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Um...I have...a 20" Magnavox...but it has component input!

That's my dream TV right now. 23-inch, widescreen, 720p, HDMI...and it looks nice, to boot. If I can convince my dad to pay for half of it as a graduation present, I'll spring for it.

As for a home theater system...I'll worry about that down the road. Like, never.

ha, that samsung is the one my daughter has for her dorm...must be a good one for the kids

g
autodata
hustlin

2008-01-14, 14:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans View Post

Awesome. Want.