AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: the new applenova SMP 1.2 world general discussion

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: the new applenova SMP 1.2 world general discussion
Page 6 of 8 First Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  Next Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-04-04, 20:23

BTW, I updated the server to 1.2.5. Looks like this update does not require a client update. So, if you want to hang onto 1.2.4 so you can keep running OptiFine, that should work A-OK.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2012-04-04, 22:13

Did I miss an OptiFine update? Damn.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-04, 22:21

I never did OptiFine this time either. I went ahead an updated my client to 1.2.5 tonight.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2012-04-05, 13:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
Maybe a flip. Put the Cactuar statue where the bar is and put the bar where the statue is. It'll likely project a little into the bay, but is likely better than spanning the river.
This wouldn't be bad.
Foj
Veteran Member

2012-04-05, 18:42

I was able to do some obsidian farming in a lava pool near my house.

Was able to make an enchantment table and am now trying to think of a spot to put up a portal! woohoo!

A knife and a fork, a bottle and a cork, that's the way to spell New York.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-04-05, 19:56

Make sure not to put it too close to your regular "hang out" area, unless you like the skin-crawling other-worldly Cthulu-call-ish noise they make.

By the way - what is "ASS" all about downtown?
Rowdy, are you building a new leather bar?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
¡Damned!

2012-04-06, 00:34

Foj - before I split for the night I built a shelter around your portal area in the Nether, and put a portal up based on the coords we checked. It's unlit, of course, you get the honor of doing that as the homeowner.

There's a path of torches from Dellphi's "in-town" portal to your portal. Steveh's treehouse is likely along that path somewhere too, so he might be able to put a portal in there too at some point.

The shelter is pretty much based on the rest of the Nether path portal shelters, but feel free to make it your own.

Also, I spent some time putting out some of the fires fires in the Nether, but it's still pretty laggy.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2012-04-06 at 00:58.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2012-04-06, 00:56

Drew - YES! That's a project I hope to do Saturday during Creative Day.
Foj
Veteran Member

2012-04-06, 09:52

Well, I'm officially connected to the Nether now. Thanks 709 and Delphi for your help with the hallway and shelter.

Also, I added a few things to the exchange like some yellow and red wool dye, cookies and flint and gunpowder with the TNT. Perhaps we could add a Misc. chest? Because I had a couple things that didn't go in any of the other chests.

Last edited by Foj : 2012-04-06 at 12:10.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-08, 00:15

I have added a portal to my village I've been expanding. It's between the community exchange and Adventureland!

Also, Ijak and I took on the Ender Dragon tonight and won!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2012-04-08, 02:03

Exhaustion and cooking took precedent tonight, but I will be working on things tomorrow for the gay bar.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-04-08, 04:22

Yay!

My goal tomorrow (er, today) is to finish the lighthouse and the brick house, so I'll have two full weekends to finish the *mumble mumble.* And then? Who knows!

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Foj
Veteran Member

2012-04-11, 13:20

I was thinking of using some land near the railway to Adventureland behind the theater in town to make a building. I wanted to check first to see who these cacti belonged to first before I did any landscaping and make sure if it would be okay to use this area or move over some.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-04-11, 14:39

Ender Dragons really should respawn in SMP. I've never seen one!

I've been road-building like crazy, but please feel free to adjust as you require. I like the "plots" it's created, though. Might build something small on one of those blocks.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-04-11, 15:34

Fwiw, I created the park north of the arts centre with the intention of using it as a launching point for new plots and roads on the north side of town. I haven't seen the latest road additions, but in general I think it best for roads to grow organically as needed. That way projects aren't prematurely constrained or "wasting" excess land.
¡Damned!

2012-04-11, 15:43

There seems to be a glitch in the way glowstone is lighting. If you view the world at night you can see a few areas that are dark even with supposed lighting from glowstone (top of the mob-trap creeper head and the roof-spine of the museum, for example). It's not limited to transplanted structures either (look at the top of the new PO). I've seen mobs spawn at night at all 3 places. It's not listed in the 1.2.5 bug log over at MCwiki - so I wonder if it's a bukkit thing?

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-11, 16:24

I am planning to make a change to the stairs coming up from the tunnel so that it will branch off of the tunnel rather than terminate it. This way the termination can change as the station gets built. I'm planning to make the stairs come up toward the Theater in line with the Western wall of it. Will that be good for your plans?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2012-04-11, 16:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I am planning to make a change to the stairs coming up from the tunnel so that it will branch off of the tunnel rather than terminate it. This way the termination can change as the station gets built. I'm planning to make the stairs come up toward the Theater in line with the Western wall of it. Will that be good for your plans?
May want to check, Turtle. I think Brad built a station last night.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-04-11, 16:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
There seems to be a glitch in the way glowstone is lighting. If you view the world at night you can see a few areas that are dark even with supposed lighting from glowstone (top of the mob-trap creeper head and the roof-spine of the museum, for example). It's not limited to transplanted structures either (look at the top of the new PO). I've seen mobs spawn at night at all 3 places. It's not listed in the 1.2.5 bug log over at MCwiki - so I wonder if it's a bukkit thing?
qftt
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-11, 18:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
May want to check, Turtle. I think Brad built a station last night.
I see that on the map now. Guess I won't move it just yet. Either than or see about relocating that station. Thanks for pointing it out. I would have started underground and missed the change.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-04-11, 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I've seen that bug since we started this world in vanilla Minecraft before using Bukkit. Pretty sure it's a core MC bug and that I've seen it mentioned elsewhere (not on AN), regardless of what the wiki says.

edit: Well, it's right there on the wiki too:
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Kn.../Version_1.2.5
Quote:
[!] [MP] Glowstone sometimes doesn't light up chunks in SMP, allowing mobs to spawn in the area. Example: http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/1...owstonebug.png Walking into the dark area generally causes the light to update (but not always), but logging out and back in reverts it. The same chunks seem to be effected. Putting torches in the area works as a band-aid however. DarkWolff 01:46, 5 April 2012 (UTC)

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-04-11, 19:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I see that on the map now. Guess I won't move it just yet. Either than or see about relocating that station. Thanks for pointing it out. I would have started underground and missed the change.
I'm not attached to the station at all. It looked better in my head than it ended up in-game, and I would be happy to see someone tear it down and build a better terminal.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-04-12, 16:05

A not terribly large request: I know it might seem like a good idea to replace stone with silverfish on my build site -- you know for the laughs -- however, after the first one, it stopped being funny. I merely replace the stones i find that have been changed -- since the first one I found a mod that would show me where they were located. It's not just irritating to constantly have to be replacing stones, it seriously makes me question how much respect I ought to be paying to all of your build sites...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-04-12, 16:37

I'll admit to seeding a few silverfish around town a few weeks ago when we first switched on creative weekends, but I haven't done any lately. Maybe you hit one I placed way back then?

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2012-04-12, 18:13

Wasn't me. Though it is kinda funny. How many are you finding? 4-5 would be funny, but I can see more than that really being a bitch. I'd have thought hitting one would make them all come out, though, wouldn't it?

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
¡Damned!

2012-04-12, 18:18

I'll cop to the first one - the block under the construction sign was too tasty a target to resist - but I haven't planted any since.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-04-16, 19:35

So after thinking about what to do with Legohaus 2.0, I decided to make it into MoBA — the Museum of Blocky Art.

The building always seemed more like a museum than a house to me, with the lack of windows and artsy construction. I toyed with the idea of making the old Lego house into a museum, but then Rowdy pointed out that it contained a SECRET PASSAGE to his gay bar, which would make little sense in a public museum. And then Brad built his (fantastic) art museum, and that seemed to be that.

But in Cactuar, we don't have an art museum yet, and the more that I thought about it, the more it seemed to be right. It's right next to the sculpture park, with the T-Rex and the overturned brick. It was also the only non-public building that bordered our Central Park (just like MoMA does!), and I liked the idea of the paths around the central fountain all leading to public buildings. So now they all do.

MoBA isn't open yet, and it's currently empty. But if anyone wants to build something inside MoBA, let me know.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-04-16, 19:45

*cough* The Arts Centre contains a three-story gallery. *cough*

But we could have two...

Or I could think of something else for all that space, I suppose. Not sure what.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-04-16, 20:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
*cough* The Arts Centre contains a three-story gallery. *cough*

But we could have two...

Or I could think of something else for all that space, I suppose. Not sure what.
Oh!! I thought it was a performing arts centre. My bad.

Do you have paintings in there? I wasn't planning on putting paintings inside of MoBA, just three or four big sculptures. I'm sure the galleries can coexist.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-04-16, 22:06

Who is it that lives way out South?

Here:

I'm interested to know: is that circular ravine around that mountain natural? Or did you TNT it? Or dig it by hand? It looks quite natural, but seems unlikely that a full circle around a mountain would form like that.

Enquiring minds would like to know.