User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

UBS Port Help...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
UBS Port Help...
skyranch

2006-11-23, 06:55

Folks - New to the word of Powerbook and trying (and failing) to download Word file into into portable mini disk plugged into USB port. This is likely very simple, but darned if I can figure it out. Advice, please? Many thanks from the Sky Ranch.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-11-23, 06:59

The disk appears on your desktop, right? Double click on it and a window will open. Now double click on your Macintosh HD and another window will open. In this window, find the word doc you want to move. Move the windows so you can see both. Now drag-and-drop the file from Macintosh HD to the USB stick. Job done.
skyranch

2006-11-23, 07:04

that's one of the problems, the disk does not appear on the desktop
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-11-23, 07:10

Just to confirm, when you say "Mini Disk" you don't actually mean Minidisc (the audio format) - you do mean a USB pen drive?
skyranch

2006-11-23, 07:13

yes, a usb pen drive
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-11-23, 07:15

I'm not sure which of those check boxes applies to removable media like thumbdrives, but check them all. One of them is sure to work.

You get that preference window by clicking on the Finder and then going to the "Finder" in the menu bar and selecting "preferences". Alternatively, you could switch to the finder and press apple+comma

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-11-23, 07:18

I am assuming for the remainder of the post that you have no vital data on the pen drive, so if you do, please back it up.

Try opening Disk Utility (in Applications -> Utilities) to see if it shows up there when connected. In the list on the left, you should see both the device itself and, within, at least one partition.

If there is a partition: select the partition, then look at the bottom and tell us what it says for "Format".

If there is no partition at all, but the device itself shows up: select the device. You should see an Erase tab towards the top right, and should be able to create an "MS-DOS File System (FAT32)" partition.

If the device doesn't show up, that's indicative of a wholly different problem. For example, the USB port could not be working properly; try a different one, or try connecting a different USB device to the same port. Or, the drive could be broken.
skyranch

2006-11-23, 07:25

curious. the port isn't broken, of that i'm sure. i just can't locate the thumb nail disk drive in the utilities list.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-11-23, 07:31

Try System Profiler (also in Utilities) and see whether its Hardware -> USB section mentions your drive at all.
skyranch

2006-11-23, 07:36

yes, it's mentioned. "USB BUS"
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-11-23, 08:34

Did you check the Finder preferences?