User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Page 4 of 6 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Next Thread Tools
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-04-19, 17:17

and a luddite would have said the same thing about the comparison of purchase of iPod to adopting a new baby....

Like it or not, it's actually relative (one's post is other's trolling) and should be remembered as such before posting.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-04-19, 17:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
And if I made a thread called 'Guns suck' and said that no one was allowed to say anything to the contrary, I'm sure the first reply would be rather scathing.
Wanna bet? Try it. I think some people here are much better than others at following requests and keeping a rational, civil tongue in their head. And they don't feel the need to shovel their political/cultural/social views and opinions down everyone else's throat, 24/7, in nearly every thread (justified or not). They're not "wired" that way, from what I've seen.

But that's just a casual observation after nearly five years...

By all means, create your "guns suck" thread (and with the "nobody say anything contrary" provision). I could just about guarantee you that turtle and like-minded others won't go anywhere near it. And if they do, I also predict that their Dickhead-O-Meter™ won't peg into the red nearly as much as it has from quite a few folks in this thread (even after turtle2472 asked nicely for people to not turn it into what it became...in the space of about 3-4 posts).

Granted, turtle probably should've known better (considering the venue and prevailing thinking/mindset...which, for the record, I don't have a problem with; but you can bet your ass that I certainly "pick my battles" and it definitely affects what I post or what topics I wade into here at any given time...the phrase "it's just not worth the hassle and aggravation" is my rudder/compass here, with little warranted outbursts like this being the occasional exception ). But he was excited about a new purchase. It's a shame he had to endure the Atomic Reamer Xtreme for 3-4 pages for his trouble...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2009-04-19 at 18:25.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2009-04-19, 18:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
The manner in which he wrote about comparing a *gun* to a new baby, or that buying a gun is like buying harmless electronics was inviting such a reply. Thinly veiled trolling? I'm sorry I took the bait.
Didn't he already say the baby comparison was meant in humor?

Oh, yeah, he did. On the first page.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-04-19, 19:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
and a luddite would have said the same thing about the comparison of purchase of iPod to adopting a new baby...
It does say something odd about how we interact with material objects though, doesn't it? The fact that we also feel the need to share tales of our acquisitions with others is also interesting. I do the same thing, btw (as I'm sure more than a few here have noticed). We are an interesting species...

It would be really funny if a luddite joined an Apple forum...

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!

Last edited by Swox : 2009-04-20 at 01:06. Reason: damned typo
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-04-19, 19:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swox View Post
It would be really funny if a luddite join an Apple forum...
HOW?!?!

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-04-19, 20:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
HOW?!?!

Easy- against his will.
Fooboy

2009-04-19, 20:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
I must retract my statement about it being a deterrent to other nations, though. That's not the point of the 2nd amendment.
True ... but it doesn't hurt!

Quote:
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

- Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto (Japanese Navy - WWII)

WOLVERINES!!! (see movies: RED DAWN)

Last edited by Fooboy : 2009-04-19 at 20:34.
crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2009-04-19, 20:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
HOW?!?!
By mistake? Because s/he thought they'd be discussing Granny Smiths, Jonathons, Golden Delicious etc.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-04-19, 20:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychester View Post
By mistake? Because s/he thought they'd be discussing Granny Smiths, Jonathons, Golden Delicious etc.
On a internet forum which requires a computer and internet access? Methink this luddite is stupid.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2009-04-19, 20:33

Just remember. The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
Freewell

2009-04-19, 21:23

EDIT:Changed post...Didn't notice the whole 4th page, so it was redundant.
Freewell

2009-04-19, 22:13

Absolutely loving the pink-factor!! I would have one of these in a heartbeat!

I don't really care for the cat at all though... I think it detracts. But then again, I've never been a Hello Kitty fan. Of course I wanted to respect Bryson's wishes on not dissing cats in his new thread though, so while I borrowed the pic from it, I opted to post here instead!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-04-19, 22:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeriatric View Post
Just remember. The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
I have been found out.

Thanks all for helping out while I was away. Kickaha is right on and so were you Ryan. I too wouldn't mind this thread cleared up a little, but really don't care if it stays since it allows character to be clearly shown. Oh then there's literacy as well.

@GSpotter: Yeah, I am very mindful of who's able to get to my guns. I'm pretty comfortable with making sure it's handled (and all the others) with care and security in mind. Like Kickaha mentioned about gun training and securing (locking up), this is something that's common in my family. Respect is the first lesson taught as a matter of fact.

@pscates: I had considered not starting this thread, but I honestly thought my wishes would be respected enough that something like this fiasco wouldn't have happen quite like the last few pages. I expected something like Moogs' comments and such, but he and most others seem to know when to stop.

@AsLan^ & Fooboy: I loved that movie as a kid!!! Was it my inspiration?

I am a strong believer that much like a trademark holder must maintain their trademark and fight any infringement against it, I too must maintain my freedoms and rights and fight for them when they are attempted to be removed. Owning a rifle, pistol and other such weapons is a right and I will defend it. Do I see myself ever in the role of Mel Gibson's Patriot? No, but I would be more than willing to lay down my life for my country and my freedom. Protect my family and all that I've worked for, you bet. Killing someone in defense my first option, never. Paper on the other hand is as good as dead.

I will say that I'm very glad I did start this thread because I'm amazed by the number of people who do support guns. It's obviously something most of us who do like them avoid because of crap like this thread. I really am excited about my new purchase though and was willing to fight the bees.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2009-04-20, 00:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Wanna bet? Try it. I think some people here are much better than others at following requests and keeping a rational, civil tongue in their head. And they don't feel the need to shovel their political/cultural/social views and opinions down everyone else's throat, 24/7, in nearly every thread (justified or not). They're not "wired" that way, from what I've seen.

But that's just a casual observation after nearly five years...

By all means, create your "guns suck" thread (and with the "nobody say anything contrary" provision). I could just about guarantee you that turtle and like-minded others won't go anywhere near it. And if they do, I also predict that their Dickhead-O-Meter™ won't peg into the red nearly as much as it has from quite a few folks in this thread (even after turtle2472 asked nicely for people to not turn it into what it became...in the space of about 3-4 posts).

Granted, turtle probably should've known better (considering the venue and prevailing thinking/mindset...which, for the record, I don't have a problem with; but you can bet your ass that I certainly "pick my battles" and it definitely affects what I post or what topics I wade into here at any given time...the phrase "it's just not worth the hassle and aggravation" is my rudder/compass here, with little warranted outbursts like this being the occasional exception ). But he was excited about a new purchase. It's a shame he had to endure the Atomic Reamer Xtreme for 3-4 pages for his trouble...
Considering the guy is what.... 37?... and posting on an Apple internet message board to a bunch of teens and 20 year olds and posting unboxing photos of his new assault rifle and comparing it to his imaginary girlfriend and the purchase of an iPod I don't think a few negative responses is really uncalled for and out of line.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-04-20, 00:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Considering the guy is what.... 37?... and posting on an Apple internet message board to a bunch of teens and 20 year olds and posting unboxing photos of his new assault rifle and comparing it to his imaginary girlfriend and the purchase of an iPod I don't think a few negative responses is really uncalled for and out of line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
Didn't he already say the baby comparison was meant in humor?

Oh, yeah, he did. On the first page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses
Anyone who feels the need to post photos of their new assault rifle to an internet message board and then describe his encounter and purchase of it as if it were his new girlfriend is a little disturbing and provides at least a little reason to be concerned.
Not girlfriend, child ... obviously meant in humor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472
Thanks all for helping out while I was away. Kickaha is right on and so were you Ryan. I too wouldn't mind this thread cleared up a little, but really don't care if it stays since it allows character to be clearly shown. Oh then there's literacy as well.
Emphasis added.

crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2009-04-20, 00:42

Frankly, I think the thread was conducted pretty civilly on what was expected to be a contentious topic (as turtle's original post indirectly acknowledges) and was highly likely to generate some emotive reactions. Let's not drama queen it unnecessarily huh?

And personally, if anyone other than the mods and admins starts getting to dictate what can and can't be said in a thread (other than jokingly as Bryson is clearly doing in the kitten thread), I think we will very quickly lose our greatest strength (namely, some of the best moderation of any forum on the net) and I for one would be out of here before you can say "dumb fucks screw up a good forum". (Yes feel free to applaud at the thought Paul.)

I don't mind people requesting that they'd prefer certain reactions and responses to be put elsewhere but I prefer to leave whether or not it actually happens in the hands of the Benevolent Overlords who seem abundantly competent at handling the job.
Freewell

2009-04-20, 00:58

I remember having some serious fun with an AR-15... Something about totally obliterating some evil stuffed Barney atrocity!!! Now THAT'S quality entertainment there!! Downright therapeutic! Better than any droning conversation on an overstuffed couch!!!
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-04-20, 01:12

Quote:
Frankly, I think the thread was conducted pretty civilly on what was expected to be a contentious topic (as turtle's original post indirectly acknowledges) and was highly likely to generate some emotive reactions. Let's not drama queen it unnecessarily huh?

And personally, if anyone other than the mods and admins starts getting to dictate what can and can't be said in a thread (other than jokingly as Bryson is clearly doing in the kitten thread), I think we will very quickly lose our greatest strength (namely, some of the best moderation of any forum on the net) and I for one would be out of here before you can say "dumb fucks screw up a good forum". (Yes feel free to applaud at the thought Paul.)

I don't mind people requesting that they'd prefer certain reactions and responses to be put elsewhere but I prefer to leave whether or not it actually happens in the hands of the Benevolent Overlords who seem abundantly competent at handling the job.
I agree 100% on every point. The way this thread has gone hasn't sat quite right with me, and this is exactly why. (Emphasis added).
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-04-20, 01:31

Mmmh, drama. On the other hand, cookies. Also, ponies. Drama-flavored cookies with ponies on top, anybody?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-04-20, 02:26

Quote:

I firmly believe that the people who came into this thread and started attacking turtle for posting pictures of a gun (oh no he posted PICTURES, next thing you know the gun will come to life and start shooting innocent forum members! ) are solely at fault for all of the drama in this thread. It could have been simply the people here who like guns casually discussing it. Instead it turned into a shitstorm. Thanks guys.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-04-20, 08:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Drama-flavored cookies with ponies on top, anybody?
Careful dude, we don't want you going all Catherine the Great on us with your ponies on top.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-04-20, 08:45

Quote:
Careful dude, we don't want you going all Catherine the Great on us with your ponies on top.
Not exactly Catherine the Great, but cautionary tale nonetheless...
ronmexico

2009-04-20, 09:32

I see no problem with responsible gun ownership. There are so many lethal items we come into contact with on a daily basis that require thought, care, and responsibility...more kids die from drowning in a pool than from gun wounds. Why is there no argument for banning pools? I'm intentionally being glib, but I can support laws that severely penalize irresponsible gun ownership but leave 2nd amendment rights intact.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-04-20, 09:57

Indeed. Today I heard on NPR about the NY police depts trying to get the current policy of destroying gun check records after 24 hours lifted.

Their claim is that it will help with tracking *ILLEGAL* guns.

Excuse me, but... how? How is keeping around records of who *legally* submitted themselves to a background check prior to *legally* purchasing a firearm, help with tracking *illegal* guns? Is the intent looking for people who are repeatedly purchasing firearms, in the hope that these folks are somehow a feed source for distribution, and not just a collector? And of course this wasn't explained in the news blurb, just taken as an assumptive fact...

"I'm sorry ma'am, that's the fourth set of steak knives you've purchased this year, you're under suspicion of distribution of weapons capable of being used in an armed crime." "But... my friends are getting married this year!" "Sorry ma'am, you'll have to come with us and prove that your distributions were legal."

Buh-wha?

I'm all for keeping gun ownership legal and responsible, but stuff like this just makes me shake my head and wonder how the hell it helps.

(Side note: there's a tremendous anti-gun sentiment up here in NY. To the point that there are posters around our area that say in BIG BOLD LETTERS "Carry a gun, go to jail." And then down in teeny tiny type, it says "Carrying a gun illegally can lead to jail time." VERRRRRRRY different messages. Most people I've pointed this out to fail to see the difference, or just assume that the big letter version is correct, and carrying *any* gun is illegal. It is in NYC, but... we're not in NYC. Propaganda FTL.)
faust

2009-04-20, 09:58

She's a beauty, congrats on your purchase.

I'm thinking of appying for a gun permit here in NY, just have to talk the gf into it first or all hell will break loose
Ryan
Veteran Member

2009-04-20, 10:04

Quote:
(Side note: there's a tremendous anti-gun sentiment up here in NY. To the point that there are posters around our area that say in BIG BOLD LETTERS "Carry a gun, go to jail." And then down in teeny tiny type, it says "Carrying a gun illegally can lead to jail time." VERRRRRRRY different messages. Most people I've pointed this out to fail to see the difference, or just assume that the big letter version is correct, and carrying *any* gun is illegal. It is in NYC, but... we're not in NYC. Propaganda FTL.)
You'd enjoy Texas. After a restaurant shooting, the chain changed their policy to specifically *allow* patrons to carry concealed weapons on their premises.
Freewell

2009-04-20, 10:11

Rock. On.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-04-20, 10:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
You'd enjoy Texas. After a restaurant shooting, the chain changed their policy to specifically *allow* patrons to carry concealed weapons on their premises.
There was a small town in GA that passed a law *requiring* every household to be armed. Crime dropped to almost zero, even though it was an impossible law to enforce, and meant to simply send a message to the criminal population. It worked... although the crime rates in the surrounding towns spiked due to emigration.

Random un-gun-educated untrained people with guns do worry me. A well-armed, well-trained populace? Not so much. I feel much safer in the midst of a bunch of folks who grew up around guns, use them regularly, and are carrying, than I do somewhere like NYC, where you can assume that the only firearms are being carried illegally, and almost certainly by folks who haven't been properly trained in their use.

Once, again, as always, education is the key.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  

Nice gun Turtle.

People, this gun is not an assault rifle. An assault rifle has a select switch to fire semi-auto (which is what this rifle is) or auto.

The AR-15 can fire semi-auto only (unless modded for auto which is VERY illegal).

The term "assault rifle" is so misused, on purpose. The term seems to mostly be used by the media (to drum up ratings because the term is scary), politicians (get votes by sounding tough and playing on the fear by the ignorant masses) and gun control groups (fear helps them get what they want) in an effort to create fear of guns that LOOK like a true assault rifle. Real assault rifles (automatics) should be and are heavily regulated and are made VERY difficult for a citizen to own.

One can take quite a few stock rifles or shotguns and add accessories to them to make them look like an assault rifle/shotgun. Just because it looks like an assault rifle does not make it an assault rifle.

You're looking at eons of repression getting purged. If only they'd let us jerk off.

Beware the man of one book. ~ Saint Thomas Aquinas
Banana
is the next Chiquita

Kickaha, do you happen to have a source handy? I'd love to see that.