Which iPad to buy??

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Which iPad to buy??
Page 1 of 11 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2010-03-05, 17:00

Ok, say you want an iPad for around the house...email, internet, hopefully streaming of music and movies and such like that...

What model do you get? And why?

And what size HD?

And how big are movie downloads?

I image streaming movies need some space temporarily, but not permanent...

For me I figure to have a couple of movies physically on it (a gig or so per movie?), some music (again, a couple of gigs of music)....and then???

I know you should always get the biggest HD, gah I ran through my PS3 HD in no time...grrrr (luckily the PS3 HD is really easy to change)...but really I have never maxed out either of my iPhones...

And I see no reason for 3g....I have my iPhone for that...and I have wifi at home, work and any place i would take my iPad...(brothers, moms, etc are all wifi)....

So I'm thinking mid level wifi only iPad...

Convince me i'm wrong

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-03-05, 17:04

I'd say the $499 one. You have WiFi and you already have an iPhone, so there's no need for the 3G. And if it's usually in your home, you can just stream music from your main computer without having to put any on there.

In fact, I have sort of given up keeping a music collection. I get too frustrated with hearing the same songs over and over again, so I've switched to pretty much streaming Pandora or Last.fm all the time. It doesn't eat up tons of hard drive space, I don't have to worry about organizing all my music, and I always get variety.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-03-05, 17:07

Yeah, the base 16GB model should be fine for what you are talking about.
thegelding
feeling my oats

2010-03-05, 17:12

Cool...do we know if we will be getting a pandora widget?? that and a netfix app and i'm ready to go...

and a plug in webcam so i can iChat the kid in phoenix...or skype with my soon to be russian bride... i kid

g

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-03-05, 17:18

I doubt it'll get any sort of camera support. It doesn't even have a USB port, and if they had wanted it to have a camera, they would have given it one.

They're also not planning on doing Netflix: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2358575,00.asp

But if it gets widgets (which I really hope it does), Pandora will be near the top of the list I'm sure.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2010-03-05, 17:21

The 16GB WiFi sounds right, the only other thing that might matter is that the 3G model also has GPS. But that would only matter if you planned on traveling a lot, and if you planned on traveling a lot, you'd probably be going for the 3G one anyway.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-03-05, 17:24

And if I was traveling a lot, I'd rather bring an iPhone than an iPad since it's a lot more portable.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-03-05, 17:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
The 16GB WiFi sounds right, the only other thing that might matter is that the 3G model also has GPS. But that would only matter if you planned on traveling a lot, and if you planned on traveling a lot, you'd probably be going for the 3G one anyway.
Not to mention, for the price of the 3G add-on you could just buy a GPS unit for your car. Heck, you could almost buy a new GPS-enabled 3G smartphone, contract-free (the $179 Nuron). The 3G add-on is kind of...expensive.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Noel

2010-03-05, 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding View Post
Cool...do we know if we will be getting a pandora widget?? that and a netfix app and i'm ready to go...
If we do, in fact, get widgets — which I don't think is a given — I'm sure Pandora will be one of the first.

As for Netflix, who knows when they'll get around to releasing one. From everything I've read, it's very low on their list of priorities, and they have clearly not even begun development yet, judging from the survey they put out last week to gauge interest in such an app for the iPhone.
thegelding
feeling my oats

2010-03-05, 17:40

Netflix just sent out a mailing asking about interest in netflix on iPhone...I assumed it was more related to iPad than iPhone...

either way, any iPhone streaming could easily be iPad streaming...

I think Netflix will get working on this fast...but I could be wrong...but they seem to be changing their tune since that 1/29/10 phone call...

as for a webcam...have it connect to the 30-pin dock connector...like the keyboard does, like the iPad Camera Connection Kit and such

g

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-03-05, 17:51

Those things might happen, but I wouldn't get an iPad intending to use it with a webcam or for Netflix. Support for either could be a long time coming (if it ever comes at all).

It's very possible a future iPad will have a front-facing camera and thus Apple will never add camera support for Rev. A iPads. Just speculation but it seems a lot more likely than Apple or some other company coming out with a special iPad dock connector camera accessory.

If Netflix comes, it would almost certainly be available, though, since it's just software. But again, there's no telling when it will come. It might not support the Rev. A iPad if it takes a long time.

If you really want a camera or Netflix, you'd be much better off with a netbook. Netbooks can do those things right now. They all have video cameras built in and I believe all the newer, faster ones can stream Netflix.
¡Damned!

2010-03-05, 18:23

I'd say go for the base $499 model, use it for 9-12 months and resell it for 300 bucks or so when the real iPad comes out (built-in camera).

That's less than 17 bucks a month over the course of a year to have a new toy to play with.

Jeez...when I put it that way it makes me think it might be worth it for me to get one of the damn things.

So it goes.
Miko
Veteran Member

2010-03-05, 18:30

I'm going for the base wifi only model. I would be using it in the same fashion as others here, at home, in cafes or bookstores etc. I really don't want to overlap devices all my geo-location, GPS, augmented reality stuff I have my 3GS and I'm still holding out for a hotspot app for the iPhone so I can wirelessly share the 3G connection.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-03-05, 18:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I'd say go for the base $499 model, use it for 9-12 months and resell it for 300 bucks or so when the real iPad comes out (built-in camera).

That's less than 17 bucks a month over the course of a year to have a new toy to play with.

Jeez...when I put it that way it makes me think it might be worth it for me to get one of the damn things.
That's an excellent way of putting it. Unlike a cell phone, where you usually have to wait two years to upgrade, you can sell and upgrade an iPad whenever you want.

It won't do all the things you want it to do at first, but your options are either to wait until a version comes out that does (could be a while), get a netbook, or do what 709 suggests.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-03-05, 18:46

If reselling were your plan then wouldn't it be best to get the 3G model? Seems like it'd have more overall appeal.

Base model does sound best for thegelding though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-03-05, 18:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I know right? Hmm...
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-03-05, 19:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
If reselling were your plan then wouldn't it be best to get the 3G model? Seems like it'd have more overall appeal.

Base model does sound best for thegelding though.
Better resale value, higher initial price. No way the 3G will resell for $130 more than the WiFi-only model would, though.

Given g's uses, the 3G won't be of much use to him, not to mention it's $30/mo to get a data plan for it. Not worth it if you aren't using it much.
¡Damned!

2010-03-05, 19:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
That's an excellent way of putting it. Unlike a cell phone, where you usually have to wait two years to upgrade, you can sell and upgrade an iPad whenever you want.
Though, thinking about it further, I expect one of the 3 women in g's life to lay claim to it before he gets a chance to recoup a little of the purchase price.

So it goes.
thegelding
feeling my oats

2010-03-05, 20:28

Ha!!!

Sadly you know me too well

Actually not sure if it's cool that people across the globe know me so well, or if it's kinda creepy

g

nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2010-03-06, 18:13

I think i am going for the mid 3G version when it comes out. I know i probably will mostly use it at home with Wi-fi but i feel that the 3G is the future-proofed version.

I have realised that cannot remember the last time i used wi-fi on my iPhone. I mean 3G is always available and nearly just as fast at loading websites (where a short burst of data is needed).
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-03-06, 18:35

The nice thing is that you don't have to sign up for any contracts, so you should be able to start or end 3G service whenever you feel like it. If you know you'll be out a lot for a while, you can pay it and then cancel once you don't need it anymore. And it would kinda suck to not have 3G and need it.

But I'm not sure why anyone with an iPhone would actually need the 3G model. You're already paying $30/mo for the iPhone's 3G service... is another $30/mo for a second device worth it? I see the iPad as being like the iPod Touch, in that it's a good supplement if you have a basic cell phone without data service.
zippy
Veteran Member

2010-03-06, 21:41

Quote:
The nice thing is that you don't have to sign up for any contracts, so you should be able to start or end 3G service whenever you feel like it. If you know you'll be out a lot for a while, you can pay it and then cancel once you don't need it anymore. And it would kinda suck to not have 3G and need it.

But I'm not sure why anyone with an iPhone would actually need the 3G model. You're already paying $30/mo for the iPhone's 3G service... is another $30/mo for a second device worth it? I see the iPad as being like the iPod Touch, in that it's a good supplement if you have a basic cell phone without data service.
The 3G would be nice when traveling - especially if you didn't want/need to take a notebook with you. I know you can do the same things with the iPhone, but not as easily. (I'm speaking of web browsing and movie renting in particular).

I'm angling to get 2 for the family: 1 Base model with 3G and 1 mid model without.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-03-07, 00:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
The 3G would be nice when traveling - especially if you didn't want/need to take a notebook with you. I know you can do the same things with the iPhone, but not as easily. (I'm speaking of web browsing and movie renting in particular).
If you're traveling for business, an iPad won't suit your needs. And if you're traveling for fun, well... why do you need web browsing? If you do need internet access for one reason or another on a vacation, an iPhone will handle that.

I can think of uses for the iPad... but not if you already have a notebook computer AND an iPhone. In that case, the number of possible situations where the iPad is the best tool for the job shrinks to almost zero.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-03-07, 01:24

Quote:
I can think of uses for the iPad... but not if you already have a notebook computer AND an iPhone. In that case, the number of possible situations where the iPad is the best tool for the job shrinks to almost zero.
Ahhh, the quintessential iPad conundrum. The geek and technofile in me wants to get one, but I really have a hard time justifying such a purchase, in terms of needs.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
JohnnyTheA

2010-03-07, 02:52

For me it's just a bigger iPod-Touch. So when my 1st gen touch dies, (its been going strong for well over 2 years now), I will probably get an iPad. I really have to have a touch though for my iPhone development hobby, so I'll get a used touch as well.
zippy
Veteran Member

2010-03-07, 02:56

Quote:
If you're traveling for business, an iPad won't suit your needs.
Really? Why? If you need to keep up on email, or do some web research, or maybe write up a document, create a presentation.... it will do all of those. It's smaller and lighter than a notebook so it's packability is very desirable.

Quote:
And if you're traveling for fun, well... why do you need web browsing?
Because the Internet can be very handy for checking local events, making reservations, finding restaurants, downloading entertainment and a myriad of other things.

Quote:
If you do need internet access for one reason or another on a vacation, an iPhone will handle that.
It can handle it, but not nearly so easily. As much as I love the internet wherever you go concept of the iPhone - it's only attractive in a 'when you really need it' sort of way. Once you get past the initial coolness factor, web browsing on a device with that small of a screen is tedious. It's not something that a couple people could do together either.

Quote:
I disagree.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-03-07, 03:00

Quote:
If you're traveling for business, an iPad won't suit your needs.
I know of a number of commercial photographers who would strongly disagree with you. They currently use iPhones to show customers proofs or their portfolios on the go, and they are really looking forward to the iPad because it has a larger screen.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-03-07, 11:18

Quote:
If you're traveling for business, an iPad won't suit your needs. And if you're traveling for fun, well... why do you need web browsing? If you do need internet access for one reason or another on a vacation, an iPhone will handle that.

Wow... nearly everything in your post I not only disagree with but I think is easily proved wrong.

What about the iPad does not meet needs for business travel? Last time I checked I can do nearly everything I do on my laptop on a business trip on the iPad.... and it's a smaller package with longer battery life.

Traveling for fun and why do you need web browsing? Jeez, I guess you've never had to use the internet to look up a restaurant or something fun to do, or to look at nearby attractions or compare hotels, or check your email, or post your photos from your vacation online. The iPhone can handle that, but the whole point of the iPad is that its a bigger, better more enjoyable internet experience. I would much rather do all the above tasks on an iPad than on a little iPhone screen if I had a choice.

Seems to me you have written the iPad off, but that's you.

I think it is pretty stupid to get an iPad without 3G. The device is meant to have always on internet.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-03-07, 12:14

As an iPhone owner, I probably won't be getting an iPad. But if I did, I'd just get the base $499 16GB model. My phone is my "data/info everywhere" device, and the iPad is something - with its larger, easier-to-see screen - I'd use at home on the couch or porch, take with me on trips and use in hotels or use anywhere (locally or otherwise) that has free WiFi (which seems to be getting out there in more and more places).

So I'd get an iPad mostly for the extra screen and comfort, but I wouldn't need that overlap of "data everywhere". But for those without an iPhone (or any other 3G-equipped smartphone), the 3G iPad might be a smarter choice, and really shine in its usefulness.

But, as it stands right now, I think a big iMac and a small iPhone suit me pretty well. But ask me again in six months...

gelding, you already have an iPhone (right?), so maybe the non-3G iPad would make more sense in your specific situation? I don't know. But you also have a spouse and kids (and I don't), so G-based "data anywhere" on all your devices might mean more, and come into better use? I never have to consider that stuff when I make these decisions...
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-03-07, 13:18

I'm facing this same dilemma. I've got my iPhone for data everywhere but I wonder if I'll be frustrated by the lack of 3G on an iPad. Obviously, if the 3G were built-in, it'd be a no-brainer, but the extra $130 + service fee is causing me mental fits. To be honest, as much as I *want* an iPad, I'm leaning towards waiting til when 3G is standard so I don't have to make this choice. We'll see...

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.