Page 2 of 11 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Last Thread Tools
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2010-11-15, 01:36

Deploying tonight. Love you guys.

Hard to say goodbye to my wife.

rcm8

2010-11-15, 01:56

I am in awe of your bravery. Thank you for your service.

joveblue
Veteran Member

2010-11-15, 06:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
My only worry with the next iPad is that it won't be much better than the current one. Apple just don't have any competition right now to spur them on.
Are you kidding? It's competing with almost the entire PC industry

I don't think the first iPad is lacking at all in the way the first iPhone was (and even the second one to a large degree). It could do with more RAM, sure, but it's not like 256MB is debilitatingly small for a device of this class at all.

On the other hand though, I think the next iPad will be leaps and bounds ahead, being faster thinner and lighter with more storage, battery life memory and a FaceTime camera and perhaps a couple. The pundits will say "boo what a boring update", because there's no whizz-bang new features to get people talking. But really, what do they want, a blender attachment or something? And yeah, too early (expensive) for a Retina-display at the next update, I would think. But when it comes it will be AMAZING

I mean really, the iPad is quite an exciting device. But more for what it represents (a new paradigm in personal computing), than for what it is. Sure, it's only the first iteration. But it's still really just a big iPhone, which has already gone through several iterations. So while the iPhone started off in a bold new world, the iPad started off with several years of iPhone development behind it. And I don't expect it to develop at a pace any faster than the iPhone from here-on out.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-11-15, 07:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveblue View Post
It could do with more RAM, sure, but it's not like 256MB is debilitatingly small for a device of this class at all.
Due to the relatively high resolution, the lack of RAM means that Safari can only keep rather few webpages in memory. This gets kinda annoying with, say, form data you were trying to fill out.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-11-15, 07:59

I don't care about iPad 2. I just want that damn iOS 4.2 already.

noone
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2010-11-16, 08:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post
This article throws some cold water on the entire segment but especially Samsung. I like the iPad but I don't see the need to have an additional device now. If it was more of a computer replacement I would be more interested I guess. I can get one at a great discount but I'll probably wait.
Isn't the whole point that the iPad is NOT a computer replacement. If you want a small, light conventional computer, get a MacBook Air (or a netbook, if you absolutely have to ...)

I regularly give seminars, and for that my Macbook Pro is the workhorse. I use it to put together the slides and to present them. I bought an iPad purely as a toy - I now find that that toy has proved much more useful than I could ever have thought.
First, I can keep on it most (if not all) the reference material I might want to refer to during the presentation, unlike before when I had to carry a pile of books around with me (or interrupt the presentation to look for the info on the laptop).
On flights, I can review my material even if the guy in front of me has put his backrest as far back as it will go (in economy at least, using a laptop under those conditions is not always feasible).
I can have a few books to read on it, and keep plenty of music on it.
I can take a first look at new photos I have taken and decide which to keep and which not (something for which the screen on the camera is way too small).
If I sit at the breakfast table in some hotel, I don't need to carry may laptop with me if I want to check the emails.
And to relax I can play a few games which are made much more immediate by the fact that there is no mouse with a pointer ...
In short, until I had one I didn't know I needed one, but now I wouldn't be without my iPad - as an additional device, not to replace my laptop.

And as far as the display is concerned, for me at least the resolution is more than good enough - my hope is though, that with the much higher resolution now on the iPhone, future iPhone applications will look so much better on the iPad.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2010-11-21, 15:31

It could use a face-time camera, a built in SD card slot, a standard USB plug, more memory, longer battery life and more storage, all things that it will/could get as technology and market conditions permit.

The one hardware bit I'd like to see it gain is a built-in GPS and FM/IBOC receiver. That would make it fantastic on road trips. And, Apple actually has most of the stuff in their parts bin already...

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-11-21, 19:17

You know what I really want in the next iPad? This isn't exciting or sexy at all, but: more RAM.

Like, almost every time I switch away from a Safari "tab" and switch back, the page has to reload. Even if all I load in the meantime is a Wikipedia disambiguation page. It's sort of ridiculous, and that makes, say, trying to copy two awesome Cowboys & Aliens pictures into the new post window here far more annoying than it should be.

I'm sure they'll double the RAM, but I'd really prefer it if they quadrupled it, to 1GB. I say that because I'm sure they'll double the amount of RAM on the next iPhone and I'd like the iPad to keep up with that, and not just the iPod touch.

That, and it really needs more RAM.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-11-21, 19:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
You know what I really want in the next iPad? This isn't exciting or sexy at all, but: more RAM.

Like, almost every time I switch away from a Safari "tab" and switch back, the page has to reload. Even if all I load in the meantime is a Wikipedia disambiguation page. It's sort of ridiculous, and that makes, say, trying to copy two awesome Cowboys & Aliens pictures into the new post window here far more annoying than it should be.

I'm sure they'll double the RAM, but I'd really prefer it if they quadrupled it, to 1GB. I say that because I'm sure they'll double the amount of RAM on the next iPhone and I'd like the iPad to keep up with that, and not just the iPod touch.

That, and it really needs more RAM.
I agree wholeheartedly. IOS 4.2 seems better regarding RAM usage so pages don't get errrr paged out as often. Or that's what I hear.

screensaver400
Veteran Member

2010-11-21, 20:19

4.2 is definitely better, but still not as good as it should be. I'm looking forward to the 4.2 jailbreak so I can enable the Virtual Memory hack, which worked beautifully on 3.2.

joveblue
Veteran Member

2010-11-23, 04:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
a built in SD card slot,
Would be great not to have to buy the camera kit separately. But I do wonder, looking a couple of years into the future, what percentage of iPad owners would find this useful. In an age where the iPhone is good enough for happy snaps (and imagine how good the iPhone camera will be a couple of years from now), the point-and-shoot is dying a slow drawn out death. People with bigger, better cameras would find it marvellous obviously, but I think they'd be a relatively tiny percentage of iPad users, so sadly I don't see an SD card slot coming the iPad's way.

Quote:
a standard USB plug,
For what?? There's no file system to share and transfer files and peripherals can connect through the Dock connector (and realistically I don't see them replacing the Dock connector with a USB).

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2010-12-07, 20:44

This report says shipping by end of February 2011.
Seems rather early, but I'm guessing Apple is making sure the iPad stays top of mind for anyone considering a tablet.
BTW, isn't this about the same time the RIM Playbook is launching?

The sources pointed out that the iPad 2 will ship as soon as the end of February in 2011. Apple originally planned to start mass production in January, but because the device's firmware is currently still in testing, Apple has been postponing the schedule.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-12-07, 21:21

If it comes in white, I'm killing someone.

BenP

2010-12-08, 06:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
Seems rather early, but I'm guessing Apple is making sure the iPad stays top of mind for anyone considering a tablet.
BTW, isn't this about the same time the RIM Playbook is launching?

The sources pointed out that the iPad 2 will ship as soon as the end of February in 2011. Apple originally planned to start mass production in January, but because the device's firmware is currently still in testing, Apple has been postponing the schedule.
Does that mean production starts in February (so release sometime in the spring)?

Matsu
Veteran Member

2010-12-08, 09:27

I hope it comes in colors. I will certainly look at an iPad 2. I'd like to see a really slick photo retouching app. This may already exist, I don't know, but it will almost certainly need a little more RAM and storage for that mission.

And, I'd still like to see the two ports I mentioned earlier, especially the SD slot. Today, they can be a pretty cheap way of adding 32-64GB, it's such an obviously good media reading/viewing device that the ability to locally hold some more content would be wonderful. You won't always be on a network, or, you may not always want to be on a network. Also, SDXC capacity scales to 2TB in its current iteration, but smaller capacities are dirt cheap, if Apple standardized this across all its computers, we might start to do away with discs ... same for USB flash drives. I get at least a couple every week as part of one promotional package or another, and it's rare that I get one under 2GB now even though they often have only 10MB on them! They're just about ready to replace DVD's as a back-up medium when they're being given away so freely at such high capacities. Why not move that over to distribution as well? What we could really use are some form of read only solid state key/card in multiple sizes.

This is off topic now, but the other day I got a really nice embossed leather memory key in a mass mailer. I deleted the files, formatted the key, and put it on my keychain. I thought to myself, what a nice way to distribute some of my photos! Of course I immediately thought of something in engraved wood/metal and a nice velvet presentation box, but the problem with all of these is that they can be so easily erased by dimwitted clients.

Last edited by Matsu : 2010-12-08 at 09:49.

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-12-08, 15:08

My ipad is becoming more of a music production device using iElectribe, Korg iMS-10, ReBirth and Akai Music Studio. Now that 4.2 officially allows use of the camera connection kit to connect USB MIDI devices, I hope the next ipad comes with a built-in USB port.

Another plus would be 2 distinct audio out feeds, so I can preview new settings before committing changes to my live feed.

I personally don't give a crap if a camera is added to the next ipad. With all the screaming for one I'm sure the iPad2 will get one and we'll all laugh at YouTube compendiums of FaceTime nose goblins of the rich and shameless.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2010-12-08, 16:55

Since the PlayBook has one, I doubt Apple will leave it out. Even if a Padcam's not as useful, the general public will be looking for it.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-12-08, 17:09

By that logic, it should be running Flash.

I think Steve will put in what Steve thinks should be put in, and nothing more, nothing less.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2010-12-08, 17:12

I knew that comment was coming.

The difference is that Steve has no problem with cameras, and the tech is already cheap, available and not a security hazard.

I think Steve will look for a unique use for a PadCam, and knowing the way his mind works, he'll find one.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-12-08, 17:20

Yeah.

And Steve wants a FaceTime camera. Just makes all kinds of sense (and should've been there the first time around, but that's been covered already ).

But it'll have one, FaceTime will only take off more and more (and now that it can work with Macs, even better). By spring 2011, there will be a lot of that stuff going on. I told someone over the weekend that the iPad, as popular as it is, hasn't even hit its stride yet. I think we're about another 6-18 months away from it truly exploding and becoming a true "ohmigosh!!" product, where everyone has or wants one. The fact that it's doing so well, as an unknown/untested Rev. A product only means great things for 2011-2012 and Rev. B and C models to come...

We've just scratched the surface with these things, I believe. There will be something - a hardware feature or a certain class of apps or uses - that will propel it to even greater heights in the near future. I think the camera will factor in to that, at least in terms of cross-country "talking with the grandkids" stuff.

If they could ever get it to where these devices were a little more standalone and self-supporting/configuring, you'd really have the end-all/be-all mobile device. That's my hope for future iDevices...that a full-on computer isn't required to get them up and going. They day will come when you can just give a grandparent an iPad or iPod touch (and an AirPort Express) and within 5-10 minutes, they're up and running.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2010-12-08, 17:27

I'm also rooting for the iPad 2 to be available in white. Just for you Paul.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-12-08, 17:33

I wonder if they'll tweak the design? It's pretty nice, as is. But they'll probably give it a slight change somewhere (shape, materials, thickness, tapers/curves, etc.). Can't wait to see.

I still think they should borrow from the notebooks and have the display help light up a glowing Apple on the backside (instead of that static black one). Talk about an eye-catcher from across a room...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2010-12-08 at 17:45.

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-12-08, 17:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
I'm also rooting for the iPad 2 to be available in white. Just for you Paul.
If Apple does colors, they better have Tangerine.

I'm helping a coworker activate/setup an ipad for her son's Xmas present. The problem is, she has to get his itunes account info or she can't put apps on it. If she used her account, she'd have to give her son her account info which isn't going too fly. A solution to this dilemma would be great.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2010-12-08, 17:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
If Apple does colors, they better have Tangerine.

I'm helping a coworker activate/setup an ipad for her son's Xmas present. The problem is, she has to get his itunes account info or she can't put apps on it. If she used her account, she'd have to give her son her account info which isn't going too fly. A solution to this dilemma would be great.
Solution: Let her son activate it and load the apps he wants.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-12-08, 18:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Since the PlayBook has one, I doubt Apple will leave it out. Even if a Padcam's not as useful, the general public will be looking for it.
I expect to see a Facetime camera but doubt they will add a backside camera. It would be kind of pointless for 90% of the people who use it.

I think the major changes will be a dual core processor, slimmer/lighter, and facetime.

Not sure if they will be able to increase the screen resolution at this point. Correct me if I'm wrong, but to avoid scaling complications, they would have to ideally double the current resolution.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-12-08, 19:13

Yeah, for the record I just can't imagine a backside still or video camera. That makes for a really awkward, large thing to hold up and use as a camera, doesn't it? I just don't think that would be much fun. It works on an iPhone (and iPod touch) simply because they're small, already in your pocket and more or less the same size/weight as typical point-and-shoot digital cameras (I've not touched my Canon digital camera since I got my iPhone 4...it's all I use). But I'm not sure people are toting iPads around as much - and as easily - as they do an iPhone, so that's just something tough to imagine.

You have to get it out of its bag/sleeve, then you're going to be sitting or standing there, holding up this large, 1.5lb. thing (and you know it's not going to have any sort of decent zoom or anything anyway).

Put simply, the trade-offs are all heading in the wrong direction. I'll gladly do without a dedicated camera's optical zoom and whatever else for the convenience of the iPhone 4's ever-present position in my pocket, ready to go. But I can't imagine people making those same concessions only to carry a larger, heavier device around for their camera (which wouldn't take better photos, to boot). Does that make sense?

Instead, what Apple should do is one of two things:

a) Put a standard USB port somewhere on the iPad, where people can import their stuff in on-the-spot, as needed

or

b) bite the bullet and include that little camera connector kit in the package (or, at the very least, knock $10-15 off the price).

This lets people still keep using their smaller, dedicated (and better) cameras, and then easily transfer them to the iPad on a whim.

I'm sitting here, holding up a sheet of paper (about the size of an iPad) and pretending that's my camera for an afternoon at the ballpark, county fair or beach. Uh...no.

There's no way in hell I'm going to use something that big, requiring two hands, for such occasional, fleeting moments (that's what she said)

joveblue
Veteran Member

2010-12-09, 05:02

Quote:
And, I'd still like to see the two ports I mentioned earlier, especially the SD slot. Today, they can be a pretty cheap way of adding 32-64GB, it's such an obviously good media reading/viewing device that the ability to locally hold some more content would be wonderful.
Yeah, people have been saying that since the original iPhone. But it's not going to happen. Just hope for more built in Flash, and you won't be setting yourself up for disappointment

Quote:
if Apple standardized this across all its computers, we might start to do away with discs ...
Apple doesn't really see the iPad as a computer. Certainly not the type of computer where you move data around on physical media. That's the role of the internet and the cloud and networking and syncing. But yes, Apple does seem to be moving towards distributing software on USB, with the new MBA's backup card being the first. And all the Macs other than the Mac Pros have SD card slots now (I think?). Optical media is a goner as far as Apple's concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
Key point: Foxconn, the manufacturer, will be shipping them, not Apple. Apple will stockpile them for a while ahead of the release and probably still sell out almost immediately with all the release hype and queues around the block and so forth.

EDIT: Reading the article a little more closely is says "The sources expect shipments to drop significantly after the end of the January as the company begins to digest the inventory across the rest of the first quarter and then launch iPad 2 in April." April being 12 months after the first iPad. So sticking to their usual 12 month cycle, if the source is correct, which I expect it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
We've just scratched the surface with these things, I believe. There will be something - a hardware feature or a certain class of apps or uses - that will propel it to even greater heights in the near future. I think the camera will factor in to that, at least in terms of cross-country "talking with the grandkids" stuff.
I think the publishing industry will be a big player in this. Wasn't there supposed to be some big announcement in the coming days about that? December 13 rings a bell? Once all the major daily newspapers in the world have great iPad apps (as opposed to hacked together ones that most still have) and all the magazines and so forth, that'll be a big player in the iPad taking off. There's some absolutely fantastic ones out there, but they're still rolling out slowly but surely and I'm sure the best is yet to come.

Textbooks in particular will be an absolute killer. Carrying an iPad around school and uni rather than lugging anywhere from 2-6 heavy textbooks around will be a winner and put an iPad in the hands of almost every student in the world. Not only that, but textbooks will become interactive (videos, quizzes, moving diagrams, etc.), and huge drops in prices too (the cost of printing and distributing a 2kg book around the world has got to be enormous).

Quote:
If they could ever get it to where these devices were a little more standalone and self-supporting/configuring, you'd really have the end-all/be-all mobile device. That's my hope for future iDevices...that a full-on computer isn't required to get them up and going. They day will come when you can just give a grandparent an iPad or iPod touch (and an AirPort Express) and within 5-10 minutes, they're up and running.
I'm really hanging out for this too. Most of my relatives would be better off with just an iPad than a computer, and some who don't have computers would suddenly find the internet and email to be a lot more accessible. They'd be absolutely perfect for all three of my aunts, other than for the need to maintain a computer as well.

Quote:
I still think they should borrow from the notebooks and have the display help light up a glowing Apple on the backside (instead of that static black one). Talk about an eye-catcher from across a room...
The iPad differs from MacBooks in that there's a whole bunch of stuff between the screen and the back of the case in the iPad but not in MacBook 'lids'. But there's no reason it couldn't be done with a dedicated LED of course.

Bonn89

2010-12-09, 12:57

Quote:
Yeah, for the record I just can't imagine a backside still or video camera. That makes for a really awkward, large thing to hold up and use as a camera, doesn't it? I just don't think that would be much fun. It works on an iPhone (and iPod touch) simply because they're small, already in your pocket and more or less the same size/weight as typical point-and-shoot digital cameras (I've not touched my Canon digital camera since I got my iPhone 4...it's all I use). But I'm not sure people are toting iPads around as much - and as easily - as they do an iPhone, so that's just something tough to imagine.
There's one awesome, killer reason for the iPad to have a rear camera, though: augmented reality applications. They'd ROCK on a larger screen, especially those ones that overlay star constellations on a camera's view of the sky.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2010-12-09, 13:02

You guys are probably right about lack of a rear camera in the iPad 2.

But with the 5" and 7" slates all having cameras, will Apple need to upgrade the iPod Touch's camera to compete in that segment?
Will that mean changing the form factor again?

I wonder if instead of a camera in the iPad, they'll go with a pico projector. That would be interesting...

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-12-09, 13:38

I honestly believe Apple doesn't give a flaming damn about what all the other makers (and their sizes) are doing. Anything they add or implement is based on what they think is best, or useful.

All the others, frankly, are wannabes and bandwagon-jumpers anyway, so why would Apple ever follow their lead? Would be like The Beatles taking music or studio tips from The Monkees.

The augmented reality stuff might be enough of a reason, I don't know. I was simply thinking of it from a traditional camera (picture-taking) standpoint. I forgot about the skymaps and all...