User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPad 2
Page 4 of 11 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  Next Last Thread Tools
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-12-18, 13:21

Well, the ipad can be used as a wireless Logic controller.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-12-18, 13:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I love the idea of a iPad but it also scares me because I'm use to the physical keyboard, especially when I'm laying in bed and being a bum and stuff like that. I guess it's hard to move away from old habits.
I think that's when such a device shines the most. My Mom uses her MacBook in her bed and on the couch, and the contortions she goes through opening it, angling it just right, fidgeting with the screen, plugging in her mouse and finding somewhere to use it (because she just never full got her head around the trackpad...she never even really tried), etc. just seems so cumbersome and aggravating a process, simply to surf or watch videos and e-mail. Also, it seems easy to block the vents (when she has it nestled down into a blanket or thick quilt) and the thing can get quite toasty at times, I've noticed.

I keep telling her she's using the wrong product for her needs/usage, and making things harder than they have to be for herself. The iPad is perfect for people in her position.

A simple one-plane, hingeless device with a "virtual" keyboard that only comes around when you need it just strikes me as a much nicer way to go about that sort of use (permanent, hardware keyboards for a device that is primarily consumption-oriented just strikes me as a waste of space and borderline useless). Plus, you've got the lighter weight and less bulk and the better battery performance (and the instant-on, as well). Honestly, it's getting harder and harder for me to recommend an Apple notebook to anyone who already has a capable Mac desktop where they do the bulk of their work and "heavy lifting". I believe most people could probably get by, on the go, with an iOS device.

They may not realize it, but that's why I'm around to prove otherwise.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2010-12-18 at 13:53.

Jasoco

2010-12-21, 21:09

My Dad just got himself an iPad. I tried to talk him into waiting for the iPad 2 but he couldn't. Still, it's nice. But personally, I'm waiting for the 2 at least.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2010-12-22, 06:54

I still think a built in USB port would be a useful addition. I know Apple wants to keep the interface clutter to an absolute minimum, but everyone is walking around with memory keys in their pockets, on their lanyards, ID etc etc. Being able to just plug those in could be very useful.

A reason for Apple to avoid it might also include the availability USB 3/4G wireless "rocket sticks" from different carriers - Apple might not sell as many wifi+3G models...

This would be less of a problem if the iPad's internal wireless capabilities included all the useful spectrum bands. Right now, in Canada, there is no reasonable unlimited data plan for laptops except for WIND mobile ($25/month) but they operate on the one band iPad doesn't support. I could get a Macbook Air + WIND data and be set, but not an iPad...

Would also be nice to be able to share the data connection with 1-2 other computers. For my wife and I this would be perfect. We could ditch our home internet connection and work from one mobile account. I noticed that we now have some mobile wireless hubs that support 3G across 4-6 users. Drop one in your bag and take your network with you, in the car, at the hotel, etc etc...

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2010-12-22, 09:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
Would also be nice to be able to share the data connection with 1-2 other computers. For my wife and I this would be perfect. We could ditch our home internet connection and work from one mobile account. I noticed that we now have some mobile wireless hubs that support 3G across 4-6 users. Drop one in your bag and take your network with you, in the car, at the hotel, etc etc...
I was thinking about getting one of those Virgin Mobile MiFi's. It's the same thing Verizon offers but there's no contracts and just sign up for time when you need it. Rates aren't anything special, but the fact that you only have to pay when you need it is really nice and great for traveling. I think the unit is on-sale currently too.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey

Matsu
Veteran Member

2010-12-22, 11:39

How easy/hard is it to set up one Mac to share its web connection with other macs in the house? We've always had our computers sharing the household connection. I've read about people using one mac as the network server, but I've never done it.

We dropped our home phone three years ago, and I'm seriously thinking about ditching our internet land line in favor of a 3G usb dongle plugged into our home machine - that we can then unplug and take on the road. 7mb/s seems fast enough, actually faster than what I get from Rogers (in practice) and $25/month is a decent price in my view.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-12-22, 23:29

It's really easy. In system preferences you enable internet sharing through the sharing app under "Internet Sharing". Then you chose which connection to share where.

I used this on vacation to share my MBP's wired connection in the room over wifi to my iPad and iPhones. Really nice actually.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2010-12-26, 08:04

Conversely, are iPads any good at sharing their web connection with the household computers? If so, what are real world speeds like with no more than two additional computers?

Built-in mifi would be a neat feature for an iPad, but it might make telco's flake out.

Still, two nice new features for iPad two would be some sort of built in "mifi" capacity for 2-3 computer connections, as well as support for 1700/2100 AWS band... Then Apple wouldn't be quite so complicit in the gang raping of North American cellular customers.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-12-27, 11:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
http://www.electronista.com/articles....for.playbook/

I get the feeling Apple is going to embarrass the fuck out of these guys before they can even get their product on the market

Not that you do personally, but people shouldn't believe a word out of Jim Ballsack's trap... the guy is one of those types who can stare right into the camera and lie his ass off. Not just RDF but blatantly untrue stuff. He's cut-throat. I'm sure their product will be decent enough but that's beside the point. Everyone is basically doing their best to rip off the iPad right down to the black border and icons... how bad are they likely to be? But all the stuff about people delaying iPad purchases en masse is likely to be fabricated, if coming from this clown.

The only reason anyone is delaying an iPad purchase is because they believe they're close to the introduction of the next iPad, not because RIM has them mesmerized with their vapor-tablet.

...into the light of a dark black night.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-12-27, 11:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
The only reason anyone is delaying an iPad purchase is because they believe they're close to the introduction of the next iPad, not because RIM has them mesmerized with their vapor-tablet.
I wouldn't be surprised if there are still enterprise IT hacks of the "Lotus Notes rocks" variety who won't touch anything Apple and stick to RIM.

I'm saddened that they took a great OS (QNX) and perverted it with Adobe AIR. What's the benefit in using a real-time operating system, then porting an API to it that is everything but?

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-12-27, 23:19

The good news is Adobe has taken the criticisms of Flash performance to heart it seems, working to hardware accelerate stuff, etc. Hopefully in a year or two it will be a non-issue whether something uses Flash or HTML 5.

joveblue
Veteran Member

2010-12-29, 02:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if there are still enterprise IT hacks of the "Lotus Notes rocks" variety who won't touch anything Apple and stick to RIM.
Not even the "Lotus Notes rocks" crowd (wait, that crowd exists??), but just people in general. I know a few people myself who wouldn't touch anything made by Apple with a 10-foot barge pole even if it had a gold bullion attached to it.

Even one of the sales guys at the store I bought my parent's iPad from said "sucked in". (I've met him before and was buying it at wholesale price so in context it wasn't as rude as it may seem)

His loss

peterandrew

2010-12-29, 06:15

The audio quality is very good and the volume level is relatively loud, for a ipod.
The speaker is quite loud as well,
and is one of the best that I have tested recently.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-01-12, 11:04

Any new, plausible rumors? I know that it will be available on Verizon, per the presser yesterday.

I saw they were going with a more flat back with tapered ends and a larger speaker, going by the case leaks from engadget and whatnot.

I was considering getting a Kindle but after playing with my friends iPad last night, there's no way I could not get one of these (is that a proper sentence?). These things are amazing.

@yontsey

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-01-12, 11:13

The new one should be even more extra amazinger!

zippy
Veteran Member

2011-01-12, 11:27

I think you meant Magicier.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-01-12, 13:58

Judging by CES case mockups, the iPad 2 is apparently a good bit thinner — basically, going from an iPhone 3G thinness to an iPhone 4 thinness (but with the iPod touch 4 design). That's crazy. With an x. Craxy.

I'm guessing it will have whatever is going to follow the A4 (A5?) in there, too. And it would be cool if they upped the capacity on their flash products this year...they haven't done that on the iPhone and iPods for a while.

I've heard rumors of an iPad Retina Display, but I think a super-high-res 9.7" screen would be too expensive. I'd actually rather they introduce a two-mode, Pixel Qi-style screen, but I'm not sure those could be made in the quantities needed yet.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-01-12, 15:32

I hope it's lighter. Robo's screen comments are right on the ball too, I think.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-01-13, 11:00

iPad 2... it shall be the ultimate publishing platformz! Now we just have to get it in the hands of about 80 ba-zillion people so the economies of scale are there.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-01-13, 12:00

One thing I really wish is that they would bring local newspapers to the iPad like the Kindle has.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-01-13, 12:12

I'm surprised that hasn't happened. I assumed that would've been one of the things in place in 2010. Maybe everyone was in a "wait and see" mode. Now that it's a proven success, I think 2011-2012 will be a very interesting time for the iPad.

Newspapers and textbooks (a better name will have to be thought up...Digication? EduPad? )

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-01-13, 14:11

Quote:
One thing I really wish is that they would bring local newspapers to the iPad like the Kindle has.
It'll happen.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-01-13, 14:11

Quote:
It'll happen.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-01-13, 15:19

Another thing I would like to see, based on what I've seen and heard, is that I would like to have magazines and newspapers integrated into the iBooks store instead of just apps. It would make searching a lot easier and more condensed.

@yontsey

joveblue
Veteran Member

2011-01-14, 02:42

Quote:
Another thing I would like to see, based on what I've seen and heard, is that I would like to have magazines and newspapers integrated into the iBooks store instead of just apps. It would make searching a lot easier and more condensed.
You may have to wait a few more weeks. Apple's still working on subscriptions.

(although that said there's plenty of newspapers and magazines already available)

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2011-01-23, 06:31

So when is the big day???

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-01-23, 06:55

You missed it. iPad was released last April.

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2011-01-24, 10:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
You missed it. iPad was released last April.
Nah, I didn't miss it. I bought one but wound up gifting it to my wife's sick father.

I want the iPad 2 (or maybe I'll wait til iPad 3 if these display rumors are true!).

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-01-24, 20:05

Even if the iPad 2 display is only moderately higher resolution than the prior one (720p or something like that), that would be more than enough for me. I was waiting for 2.0 only to avoid buying a 1.0 product that was a brand new concept, etc. Figured I'd wait till they worked out the kinks.

Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2011-01-26, 09:45

I am beginning to feel as if the iPad 2 is going to be way more than anyone is expecting. I think Apple is pouring resources into developing it. It is their baby now...they must strike!

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration