User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

AppleNova Minecraft Server

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleNova Minecraft Server
Page 40 of 49 First Previous 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44  Next Last Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-22, 22:45

Okay, so, the new server has become virtually unplayable during these lag spikes which seem to be more and more frequent. I suspect now that this new machine is CPU bound (single-core Athlon, right, turtle?) whereas our old server was memory bound. We traded one bottleneck for another.

So, I'm tentatively copying the world *back* to applenova.com proper. I'll have it back online in a few minutes.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-22, 22:57

…aaaaand we're back live on applenova.com.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-03-22, 23:00

Well, it is a dual core but obviously can't handle the game. Actually, the game is the only thing running on it right now. I've only moved some static files to the core domain but everything else is still on my old server.....

until I hear back from sales where I'm getting a new server that has more resources to handle our load. What puzzles me most is that we didn't encounter any of this during the beta phase where 4 of use were on there just having fun. We were boating and minecarting without really much lag at all.

I feel really bad now. First tonight I "trip on the power cord" and then my "new server" is so bad we have to leave it. All while I'm trying to get my homework done.

I need more time in my day and a server worth my money.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-22, 23:50

Weird... the processor claims to describe itself as dual core, but in my experince (at least with Intel chips) that always shows itself as two separate logical CPUs in top and /proc/cpuinfo.

Compare your server:
Code:
processor : 0 vendor_id : AuthenticAMD cpu family : 15 model : 75 model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3400+ stepping : 2 cpu MHz : 1000.000 cache size : 512 KB physical id : 0 siblings : 1 core id : 0 cpu cores : 1 apicid : 0 fpu : yes fpu_exception : yes cpuid level : 1 wp : yes flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow up pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy bogomips : 1995.13 TLB size : 1024 4K pages clflush size : 64 cache_alignment : 64 address sizes : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual power management: ts fid vid ttp tm stc
to what I see for AN:
Code:
processor : 0 vendor_id : GenuineIntel cpu family : 6 model : 15 model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5130 @ 2.00GHz stepping : 6 cpu MHz : 2000.070 cache size : 4096 KB fdiv_bug : no hlt_bug : no f00f_bug : no coma_bug : no fpu : yes fpu_exception : yes cpuid level : 10 wp : yes flags : fpu de tsc msr pae cx8 apic cmov pat clflush acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht nx constant_tsc pni bogomips : 4037.64 processor : 1 vendor_id : GenuineIntel cpu family : 6 model : 15 model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5130 @ 2.00GHz stepping : 6 cpu MHz : 2000.070 cache size : 4096 KB fdiv_bug : no hlt_bug : no f00f_bug : no coma_bug : no fpu : yes fpu_exception : yes cpuid level : 10 wp : yes flags : fpu de tsc msr pae cx8 apic cmov pat clflush acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht nx constant_tsc pni bogomips : 4037.64 processor : 2 vendor_id : GenuineIntel cpu family : 6 model : 15 model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5130 @ 2.00GHz stepping : 6 cpu MHz : 2000.070 cache size : 4096 KB fdiv_bug : no hlt_bug : no f00f_bug : no coma_bug : no fpu : yes fpu_exception : yes cpuid level : 10 wp : yes flags : fpu de tsc msr pae cx8 apic cmov pat clflush acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht nx constant_tsc pni bogomips : 4037.64 processor : 3 vendor_id : GenuineIntel cpu family : 6 model : 15 model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5130 @ 2.00GHz stepping : 6 cpu MHz : 2000.070 cache size : 4096 KB fdiv_bug : no hlt_bug : no f00f_bug : no coma_bug : no fpu : yes fpu_exception : yes cpuid level : 10 wp : yes flags : fpu de tsc msr pae cx8 apic cmov pat clflush acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht nx constant_tsc pni bogomips : 4037.64
On AN, each core appears to be a separate logical CPU.

edit: Ah! I wonder if maybe this is an artifact of AN running in a VM, and that the cores appear as logical CPUs to the guest VM.

Anyhow, don't sweat the troubles, T. We'll figure something out. If nothing else, can you get a prorated refund if you decide this machine isn't something you want to keep long term?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-03-23, 00:11

Well, I've submitted a ticket to have the server checked out. Your CPU rating shows a 1GHz core rather than a 1.8GHz also. I'll post here what they come back with. In the mean time I'm waiting to hear back from sales.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-03-23, 00:32

So how recent a snapshot are we on, then?

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-03-23, 09:51

To which there is only one response:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-23, 11:12

Mmmm fried eggs.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-03-23, 14:24

I didn't lose much in terms of resources as I was mostly away, and what time I was around I was on the passive Mob trap.

I did manage to finish the roof of the Library which has now rolled back so I could use 128 Grey wool to fix that. And I chewed through a couple of diamond and iron spades/picks digging the bit of the mobtrap that has reverted. Maybe some TNT would help with digging that last quadrant out again?

addabox
Veteran Member

2011-03-23, 14:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
To which there is only one response:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0
Is it possible we're entering a new golden age of Rebecca Rolling? And by "golden age" I mean SHOOT ME IN THE FACE.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-03-23, 15:21

BeccRolling!

addabox
Veteran Member

2011-03-23, 15:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
BeccRolling!
Oh dear, that seems entirely too plausible.

¡Damned!

2011-03-23, 15:33

Oh no. I totally see that happening.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-03-23, 17:31

You saw it here first, folks. I will expect credit.*

* = Or blame, if you will.

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-03-23, 19:08

I just beccrolled my lab.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-03-23, 19:19

Awwwww...I miss everything having .ca now.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-03-23, 23:02

The really sad part is my daughter and I watched this while my 1 year old was dancing to it!

Brad, it looks like the multiCPU in your listing is likely from a VM. My server at home shows this:
Code:
processor : 0 vendor_id : GenuineIntel cpu family : 6 model : 15 model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6305 @ 1.86GHz stepping : 11 cpu MHz : 1866.776 cache size : 2048 KB fdiv_bug : no hlt_bug : no f00f_bug : no coma_bug : no fpu : yes fpu_exception : yes cpuid level : 10 wp : yes flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl est tm2 xtpr bogomips : 3735.66
What I would like to note though is that this server shows the correct CPU clock speed where the one from S4Y shows the wrong speed. Seems something was/is wrong with that server. It's being dumped within three days even though I'm waiting to hear back from support on why that file reads what it does.

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2011-03-25, 06:33

Hey brad, can you delist me for a few days? Need to get some work done this weekend

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-03-25, 07:51

I, for one, haven't minded the world reset and loss of progress as it allowed me to make some changes to the rink design that would have been a PITA with the old construction.

Therefore, I deserve twice as many gifts for being positive.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-03-28, 02:45

Passive mob trap is active.

Thanks goes to all those involved: notably Grey, Bryson, and turtle (round 1 , and healthy supply of diamond tools, round 2).

Current oddities:

even though lit, the trap is more active in the day. This may have to do with the fact that the lighting isn't optimal for passive spawns, but this is unclear. Reworking lighting may be necessary.

Grey continues to work on his very cool grinder to optimize it.

I need to do some additional work on the tunnel from spawn to the trap -- it is the same tunnel that goes by my old mob trap, which provides perhaps the easiest access for everyone. Grey made a points west staircase down to near the killing floor. Some additional aesthetic changes may be in order for the dirt walls that make up the western half of the trap...

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-03-28, 14:36

So tell me, do the passive mobs follow a similar algorithm as the hostile ones?

What I'm getting at is whether or not a passive mob trap would negatively affect outlying areas by preventing regular spawning of necessary sheep and pigs.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.

arteggio

2011-03-28, 16:00

Quote:
Grey made a points west staircase down to near the killing floor. Some additional aesthetic changes may be in order for the dirt walls that make up the western half of the trap...
Well, I had built a sort of nice above-ground dirt tunnel connecting into my north path, and I was going to layout a courtyard in front of the doors if no one minds. I also had the idea of bringing a staircase down from the skyway to those doors.

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-03-28, 16:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
So tell me, do the passive mobs follow a similar algorithm as the hostile ones?

What I'm getting at is whether or not a passive mob trap would negatively affect outlying areas by preventing regular spawning of necessary sheep and pigs.
Given that the trap merely replaced an exposed surface, other passive spawns elsewhere should be the same (in day light hours) or better. Better because unlike most lightened areas of the map this trap actively kills passive mobs, which gives a greater chance for mobs to spawn elsewhere than if they remained standing around doing absolutely nothing useful.

In other words you should easily be able to find and hunt down pigs, and sheep. And if you want more, just come by the trap...

Art, I think landscaping/courtyard would be well justified, just check with Grey if he had any plans for that area. Also: If you dig through the dirt wall near your town you will find a perfectly flat cobble stone floor under the trap -- it is free for you to use as you wish...

¡Damned!

2011-03-28, 17:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteggio View Post
Well, I had built a sort of nice above-ground dirt tunnel connecting into my north path, and I was going to layout a courtyard in front of the doors if no one minds. I also had the idea of bringing a staircase down from the skyway to those doors.
I think a courtyard would be nice. As far as the stairway goes I'm not sure if it's totally needed given that we have 2 so close thanks to Bryson's new one. Speaking of that, I'm kind of considering a South entry since there's a stairway down from the skyway with such close access.

Bryson: I had to move the collector down 2 blocks to fix those dead areas in the water, and it interfered with your "dinner's ready" chime. I moved the assets to a chest on the collection floor in case you want to redo it. Sorry about that.

I have a few more channels on the collector to build, but I'll be carving out backwards for a storage area later. Bummer that pork doesn't stack. There's a hella lot.

So it goes.

¡Damned!

2011-03-28, 17:07

Quote:
Art, I think landscaping/courtyard would be well justified, just check with Grey if he had any plans for that area. Also: If you dig through the dirt wall near your town you will find a perfectly flat cobble stone floor under the trap -- it is free for you to use as you wish...
This is actually a pretty cool area with all the high ceilings and extensive cobble flooring, and the wall of the trap may make for an interesting row of shops. I joked briefly with bobsky about putting some sort of butcher shop and tannery in there (given the purpose of the trap ), but thinking about it further it may be an addition you'd consider adding to "New London."

So it goes.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-03-28, 17:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I think a courtyard would be nice. As far as the stairway goes I'm not sure if it's totally needed given that we have 2 so close thanks to Bryson's new one. Speaking of that, I'm kind of considering a South entry since there's a stairway down from the skyway with such close access.
I was actually thinking of trashing that staircase once construction is complete (and moving all those chests to the collection area) because the entrances weren't so convenient. (And because bbsky said hurtful things about it... )

Quote:
Bryson: I had to move the collector down 2 blocks to fix those dead areas in the water, and it interfered with your "dinner's ready" chime. I moved the assets to a chest on the collection floor in case you want to redo it. Sorry about that.
Will redo. It was a fun way to learn about redstone, delays and note blocks so I'll try and improve upon it on the second try. I'll see if I can hide the redstone a little better this time round.

arteggio

2011-03-28, 17:26

A south entrance would be good, I think. There's a staircase there, but where does it go?

Quote:
Art, I think landscaping/courtyard would be well justified
I'll spice the area up a bit in that case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
This is actually a pretty cool area with all the high ceilings and extensive cobble flooring, and the wall of the trap may make for an interesting row of shops. I joked briefly with bobsky about putting some sort of butcher shop and tannery in there (given the purpose of the trap ), but thinking about it further it may be an addition you'd consider adding to "New London."
And a strip mall was the first thing I thought of too at that cobble area. A butcher shop and a tannery would be perfect pair of outlets, if I could make them interesting enough. That trap is basically the business all by itself.

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-03-28, 17:49

If there is no objection, I would like the excess dirt from the trap construction....

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-28, 18:59

Quote:
If there is no objection, I would like the excess dirt from the trap construction....
Why bother? We all know you're never actually going to finish that would-be sky ranch of yours.

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-03-28, 20:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Why bother? We all know you're never actually going to finish that would-be sky ranch of yours.
It's a good thing i didn't see this earlier... I would have pushed you into the passive trap.

Btw: The passive trap does encounter the occasional hostile mob -- a creeper fell into it earlier today, so archers need to be careful. The source of the hostile mobs is the hill between Thunderpoit's old trap and this one; it needs better lighting.