User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

New business cards. Opinions?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New business cards. Opinions?
Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-08-21, 09:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
To be fair, the "Licensed..." line also contains his job description ("Psychologist"),
Yeah, but I'd merge that into the DBT/CBT bit.

Quote:
which probably should go next to his name and title, and not the contact info. Unless prohibited by any laws or professional organizations, my instinct would be to reword the line to read "Psychologist, NC License 3234." The most important takeaway from that line is "Psychologist"; "Licensed" is an (admittedly important) modifier and having the word twice on one line is redundant — as he has an NC License number, we can reasonably conclude that he is in fact licensed. Alternatively, tori could change the line to simply read "Psychologist" and put the license info where you say.
Agreed, but see above. "Specializing in DBT and CBT Psychology" or something.

Quote:
there's too many points of alignment as is (I'm not sure what the fish are aligned to).
Yep.

Quote:
I might be a bit too forward-thinking on this, but I'd question the need for a (physical) address on the card; how many people are going to visit the practice in person without calling, emailing, or visiting the website first? I'm with Iago on this one; business cards are all about that first instance of contact. I think of business cards as being for an individual, not a building/organization. Alternatively, the address could go on the back, with a larger fish "logo"; that way one side would represent tori and the other side his practice.
Going by that angle, I'm also not sure the fax needs to be on there.
Hassan i Sabbah

2010-08-21, 10:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Needs some Comic Sans to look friendlier, but some Copperplate to balance it out and look professional... and swap out those asymmetrical fish for a badass Ouroboros. With FLAMES! But maybe that makes it too awesome, and you need to add something to keep it interesting for the ladies, like a pink background or a lolcat. And some starry sparkles for the kids, 'cause vampires sparkle, right?

I think this is very good.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-08-21, 11:32

The thing that throws me off in the original is the disjointed look. It feels like things are thrown into the corners. And it is a lot of information, which makes it harder. But here's what jumps out at me:

- The mixture of fonts and similar sizes
- Staggered baselines
- The fish seem to "float" and don't really do, or tie to, anything
- The company and Sammy are fighting for dominance/leadership...no sense of hierarchy or "this follows this, etc."
- Everything is close to the edges, yet there's all this open, usable space "trapped" inside
- If the fish are going to be used, and provide a bit of color, why not use that orange-red elsewhere for emphasis? The company's name? Sammy's name?
- The grouping/placement of some of the info (and the redundancy of the "licensing" portion)

I'm not saying I have all the answers (because I don't) or that this is "the solution", but assuming everything on Sammy's original needs to stay (the fax number, etc.), I've repositioned and regrouped things in a way that seems to "cluster" together a bit nicer...the info about the company itself is all together, and sits at the top...next is Sammy and his title/credentials/licensing info, as well as his direct e-mail contact...and then the general address/phone contact at the bottom.

Built this at 200% actual size (4x7)...

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-08-21, 11:43

↑ Still too busy for a business card if you ask me, but much clearer.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-08-21, 11:52

Yeah, it's a lot of info! I tried to consolidate/condense (and I didn't pull anything out, because I assumed it was all necessary, going by Sammy's original). But if anything can come out (fax number, physical address...assuming the interested party would get those from the website or via phone call/e-mail with Sammy or an appointment setter), it would open up.

Someone mentioned the fax number upthread. It does almost seem quaint or out-of-date, but maybe in this field - records and files, or written material - a fax is used, and the number needs to stay.

I didn't want to make any deletions/omissions, and work directly with what the original had. The only "liberty" I took was the part about his license, and cleaning that up a skootch.

But if you were able to pare down to the absolute nitty-gritty:

They'll learn, from visiting the URL, what the outfit specializes in. And they'll get an address or fax number from there, or when they schedule an appointment.

This is: the company/URL, Sammy and his relevant credentials/licensing info and the two simplest, direct forms of contact (the only two things I've ever had on any cards I've made for myself, either doing freelance stuff or new Mac setups/switching.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2010-08-21 at 12:09.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-08-21, 12:00

Leave it to Paul to orange things up a bit

It's an improvement, although I'm not at all a fan of the all-caps, sorry.
chucker

2010-08-21, 12:05

I'm a sucker for small caps. Maybe they'd work?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-08-21, 12:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I'm a sucker for small caps.
Me too, as long as they're proper small caps and not scaled.

Even small caps look kinda weird in URLs, though. But at least it wouldn't be one big mono-height block.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-08-21, 12:11

Thanks for all the feedback. A couple of things -

- the Licensed Psychologist needs to say just that. It's a legal title.
- The license number can be dumped.
- The address I'd like to keep because it helps potential referral sources keep me in mind if someone needs a place near them. It also ensures that if a client needs to pass my info along to another agency, it makes it over correctly.
- The fax number: I'd just as soon not have a fax at all but, as 'scates said, it's needed.
- The tagline, I guess, could go but I really want people to associate my practice with evidence based treatments. Think of DBT and CBT as code words amongst providers that say "I don't just make my shit up as I go along" or "you'll be getting better than someone's uninformed opinion here".

I'll work up another draft. I was pretty limited in my tools yesterday since I don't have Photoshop on my MBP. Now that I'm back at home I have more options.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-08-21, 12:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I'm a sucker for small caps. Maybe they'd work?
Small caps are definitely going to be tried. Like I said, I was limited to pixelmator yesterday and I couldn't find an option for small caps anywhere. Ditto for tracking options.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-08-21, 12:13

Quote:
Leave it to Paul to orange things up a bit

It's an improvement, although I'm not at all a fan of the all-caps, sorry.
The fish was already there. I just sampled its gills...I had nothing to do with it. If the fish had been green, so would the type.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-08-21, 12:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
The tagline, I guess, could go but I really want people to associate my practice with evidence based treatments. Think of DBT and CBT as code words amongst providers that say "I don't just make my shit up as I go along" or "you'll be getting better than someone's uninformed opinion here".
That's interesting. I (who had to look up the abbreviations on Wikipedia) sort of assumed the tagline was intended to let people know you "did" DBT and CBT, and not only DBT, as "Durham DBT, Inc." might imply. (But I have no idea what either of those really mean, or even if they're the same thing or not, so I don't know if that's something a potential client would assume. )

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-08-21, 12:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
The fish was already there. I just sampled its gills...I had nothing to do with it. If the fish had been green, so would the type.
It wasn't a criticism. I already said that I would knock a white-line fish out of an all-orange back, so I would do the orange thing too. Orange is a good color for a psychologist -- it's still fairly unique in the field, a bit trendy, but it's not lacking in gravitas, and since it's based on the fish illustration it won't become dated too fast (like a generic web 2.0 orange would).

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-08-21, 12:25

Robo was right, the subhead ("Specializing in..." and the URL) look better in mixed-case.

I split the bottom as well, address on the left, numbers on the right. It looks a bit "tilt-y", but what can you do?

But it kinda opens it up a bit, I guess.

And then I removed the license number (he said it wasn't necessary) and just put his licensed title (and moved his e-mail back up to that line).

I've just skimmed the thread. Do orange circular fish mean something in the field?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-08-21, 12:35

Quote:
I've just skimmed the thread. Do orange circular fish mean something in the field?
Not that I know of. I'm going to use the excuse to post to one of my all-time favorite wellness brands, though:

Aww.

FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2010-08-21, 12:59

Quote:
I split the bottom as well, address on the left, numbers on the right. It looks a bit "tilt-y", but what can you do?
Try it with the email address moved to the phone/fax block, and the street address broken into 3 lines with "Suite" fully spelled out:

5850 Fayetteville Rd.
Suite 201
Durham, NC 27713

and

919-267-8675 (T)
919-287-2959 (F)
banawan@durhamdbt.com

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-08-21, 13:48

Can we work the blue in there somehow? I really like that color. And the font - I like Trebuchet and since I'm trying to unify my cards and my site, I'd love to get it in there.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-08-21, 14:00

There's an idea! Back to all-black type too...

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-08-21, 14:26

It reminds me of the yin-yang fish from The Last Airbender.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-08-21, 14:30

Quote:
There's an idea! Back to all-black type too...

This I really like, but the asymmetry of the fish still bothers me a little. Could be a turn-off if any potential patients have an OCD for such things, which might not be outside the realm of likelihood.

I'm also not too sure about the faded background fish. It looks fine here, but I wonder how well it'll transfer to the printed cards, especially if the printing equipment has to visibly halftone them or something. I guess most card printers nowadays are high-res full-color, though, making that less of a concern.

Also, what the hell happened to me last night? Maybe I need to find myself a good psychiatrist…

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2010-08-21, 14:37

Clearly, you started making AWESOME, Brad.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2010-08-21, 14:53

It's the stress of running AN. Take 2 pills and call me in the morning if things aren't clearer.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-08-21, 16:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I'm also not too sure about the faded background fish.
FWIW, I just now realized what they were, since you said something. I thought it was just some marbled texture or something. Of course, I probably have a pretty washed out or otherwise "off" display (using a Sony TV as a monitor right now).

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-08-21, 16:31

No, it's enlarged, ghosted fishies.

Ghost Fish. Tonight on SyFy. Starring Lorenzo Lamas. Boo!
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2010-08-21, 16:55

I can hardly see the background fish, and I calibrated with SuperCal. Grrr...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-08-21, 17:25

It's probably on my end. Who knows how I'm calibrated? I think, though, it's a little lighter on the most recent one above than some of the earlier ones. I must've backed the opacity down on that layer...
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-08-22, 21:30

Ok. Going from 'scates' version, I've come up with this:

The black border is only for reference so I could print it out on regular paper and see how it would look. I'm not sold on the black text and the spacing of the layers seems off some how. Is my name too tight to the fish? On the back, I'm going to just use the fish with my URL.

I toyed with what bobsky suggested with a side view of the fish and the yin yang on the back and I'm not sure how it came out.

For those wondering:
Re: middle initials. It's something that I think many people hold on to from grad school. When you're a student, you've often got professors who use their middle initials - I imagine for searchability in publications - so we use our middle initials. Even if we don't go into academia, we don't want what little we've published to be dissassociated from us. Granted I've got a unique name but it's just convention. And I think it sounds better.

Re: the fish. Nothing significant except that it's an adaptation of an ancient japanese painting (I think) and I like the symbolism. Balance, with the yin yang and teaching with the whole "teach a man to fish" thing.
Thoughts? I still would really like to get some blue in there somewhere...

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-08-22, 21:44

I think those are much better than your very first one. I prefer the first one, with the fish in a circle.

I don't believe your name is too tight on the first, but that upper text block ("DURHAM DBT, INC.") is tracked way out.

Were you thinking about adding some color to the type, as I did earlier? Is that what you're referring to when you say you're not sold on the black type? Sample that darker orange from the fish and try your name and DURHAM DBT, INC. and see?

I'm assuming you're building this card, like me, at 200%. When you shrink back down to final 3.5x2 print size, how's the size on those address/phone blocks gonna be? That was something I keep messing with, trying to keep them at no smaller than 16pt. (because that would be 8pt. on the actual size). But I've used 7pt. before (but I hate going below that, especially if you think some older folks might be viewing).
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-08-22, 21:46

Quote:
I think those are much better than your very first one. I prefer the first one, with the fish in a circle.
Of course they are! They used your card as the inspiration. Thoughts on the font color and spacing of everything? I honestly don't like the trebuchet as much as the one that you used, but I think that font works well on my site and it's on my office door, so for better or worse, I think it's got to stay.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-08-22, 21:51

Ah, yeah...tying it in and all. I wasn't considering all that.

Well, I'm glad you liked what I did. Or considered it worthy of a solid "jumping-off" point for further refining.

You can easily try splashing that orange on your name and/or the company's name? My only concern, and I brought it up in my previous post, was how small will that address/phone info get at actual size? It might not be an issue, but it's tough to judge at 200% (and it looks kinda small there).

But yeah, if you've got the orange fishies and the same typeface spread across your site and your door and all, that'll go a long way toward a cohesive "same guy/outfit" look, for sure. Is that Trebuchet in the company name tracked out? It looks normal and fine everywhere else.