Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Western Digital My Book

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Western Digital My Book
Meltedbutter421

Send a message via AIM to Meltedbutter421  
2006-04-23, 19:09

Hey I got a Western Digital My Book today at Best Buy for $99 which i found was a pretty good deal. It says its capable of 480 MB/second, but using Retrospect, its more like 35MB/ MINUTE!!!! whats up with this? i transfered about 15GB of video files onto it earlier in about 10 minutes (no complaints there) and i would have just copy and pasted my home folder into the hard drive, but when i tried that it said some of these files are in use so it cant copy. I tried restarting and doing the same thing with no programs open and it said the same thing. what should i do?
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-04-23, 19:24

It's 480 Mbits/s, which amounts to about 60 MBytes/s. This is the theoretical maximum throughput USB 2.0 offers, but that doesn't mean you will ever see that in practice. Besides, the harddisk can't write data at such a speed (more like 20 MBytes/s max). 35 MBytes/minute would be incredibly slow, though, and your 15 GB of video in 10 minutes means about 25 MBytes/s, which isn't bad at all.

Are you copying your Documents folder, or your whole home folder?
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2006-04-23, 19:35

Retrospect checks the data for errors while it copies. I use it too and it is incredibly slow at making copies.

If you use that software I suggest you use a script that synchronizes the backups instead of copying every time. (Maxtor gives you one and it works well. That is what I use.) This will take long the first time you run it, but after that it only backs up changed files and is faster. I back up my entire Users folder, but noticed months later the backup file was larger than my primary hard drive. Turns out all the files I deleted made it into the backup and would not dissapear. I have a second script that mirrors the Users folder and backup once a month getting rid of those deleted files.

EDIT: But you use Western digital... Don't worry, scripts are pretty easy to make.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET

Last edited by Ebby : 2006-04-23 at 19:40.
Meltedbutter421

Send a message via AIM to Meltedbutter421  
2006-04-23, 19:40

ghoti: i was copying my whole home folder