Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Windows Activation Hell

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Windows Activation Hell
pmazer

Send a message via AIM to pmazer  
2006-05-15, 18:17

I'm sure some of you have similar stories, so let's hear them!

Today, I reinstalled Windows on my desktop because I decided that I wanted to play some games, and it was running Linux at the time. So upon entering my activation key, I was told that I have installed Windows too many time and my activation key was invalid. After my initial befuddlement, I had 30 days to use Windows before officially activating it. How nice of them.

I was given a number to call and a 9 groups of 6 numbers each product ID. So I called the number and got an automated message, which then proceeded to ask me to enter my product ID. What? Read a 54 digit number 6 at a time to a computer who tries to explain everything 5 times? Whatever. So I read them. I was then told that my ID was invalid and to please wait for an avaliable person. I wait to some god-awful 80s music for about 5 minutes and hear the beep of my phone as I am hung up on. AHHH!!!!

So, I call back. Give those 54 digits a SECOND time, and am again told to wait. After only about a minute, I am greeted by a person. The dialog as such:

"Hi. Thank you for calling Microsoft. What are the first 6 digits of the Product ID?"

*AGAIN????*

"<Some numbers>"

"Why are you reinstalling Windows?"

"I reformat my computer"

"Did Windows come with your computer?"

"Yes"

"Is this the only computer you installed Windows on?"

"Yes"

"Thank you. Please enter the activation code on the activation wizard. I will read off to you 9 groups of 6 digits each. <Numbers> Thank you for calling Microsoft."

Thank you for giving me 2 sets of 54 digit numbers.
pilot1129

Send a message via AIM to pilot1129  
2006-05-15, 20:28

for future reference, you can enter the digits of the first 54 digit key code on your telephone touch pad.

save youself some breath and frustration of whether or not the machine understands you
babelfish

2006-05-16, 02:41

Windows Activation does officially suck.
Same with Office activation.

At least if you phone them it gets sorted out relatively quickly..it's just extremely annoying.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-05-16, 04:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by babelfish
Windows Activation does officially suck.
Same with Office activation.
Oh, yes. I partitioned my HD with partition magic, and Office decided that the hardware of my PC had significantly changed enough to require a reactivation. It only took 5 minutes, but it seemed rather retarded.
Eugene
careful with axes

2006-05-16, 05:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot1129
for future reference, you can enter the digits of the first 54 digit key code on your telephone touch pad.

save youself some breath and frustration of whether or not the machine understands you
They key was used too many times according to MS, so entering the number into the keypad wouldn't have made a difference. That initial step is really there only for phone-based activation...when you still have a valid key but can't use the internet based activation.

In pmazer's case he would have had to talk to a phone rep anyway...and most likely one with a thick Indian accent you can barely even understand.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-05-16, 09:11

Went through the same route when I helped reinstall Windows for a friend- exactly same thing.

I was glad that they had a 24/7 call center so I could do it at that spot, but really thought that 54 digits number is brilliant.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-05-16, 11:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
Went through the same route when I helped reinstall Windows for a friend- exactly same thing.

I was glad that they had a 24/7 call center so I could do it at that spot, but really thought that 54 digits number is brilliant.
Any time you try to activate a copy of Windows for a second time, you have to call it in. It's supposed to be an anti-piracy measure, but anybody who's pirating the software is smart enough to know how to answer all of their questions. It's really stupid, in the end.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-05-16, 11:29

Yes, hence my sarcasm about that number- Considering that they could have simply compared product key with serial numbers embedded in the system that came with it, they simply added more red tapes for little to zero anti-piracy protection.

Sure glad I don't have to put up with this in Mac world. Of course, I told my friends that.