User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

What does mac have like Photoshop?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What does mac have like Photoshop?
socreative

2006-07-11, 11:39

I currently use Photoshop to create logos, retouch photos, and to remove backgrounds in photos. What software is on an iMac (or what software could I inexpensively add to an iMac) to do the same types of things?

Jo-Anne
A PC User, Wanting Badly to go MAC
Bancho

2006-07-11, 11:40

Maybe Photoshop?

Sorry, I know that could be perceived as sarcastic .

GIMP would work too (and it's free). In fact, you could install GIMPShop and even have menus set up to mimic Photoshop.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-07-11, 11:42

Not sure, but I've heard good things about this little app... it's somewhat obscure, but it's supposed to be pretty good.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-07-11, 11:43

Well, there's GIMP, which is free and quite powerful. Some people don't like it, though (I don't have an opinion--I'm not familiar enough with it to make a judgement). There's also Fireworks, which is more for Web images than photos, but that's what I use and I like it quite a lot (although its text work leaves a lot to be desired, IMO).
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-07-11, 11:54

There's also GIMPShop, which is basically just a different frontend for GIMP so it works much more like PhotoShop. You could also take a look at Photoshop Elements, which is great for photo editing, and much cheaper than the full version. It lacks a few features, of course, especially those important to graphic designers.

Last edited by ghoti : 2006-07-11 at 11:59.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2006-07-11, 11:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by socreative
I currently use Photoshop to create logos, retouch photos, and to remove backgrounds in photos. What software is on an iMac (or what software could I inexpensively add to an iMac) to do the same types of things?
Please mind that Adobe made Photoshop for the Mac several years before they released (could release) their first version for Windows.
socreative

2006-07-11, 11:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesstoop
Please mind that Adobe made Photoshop for the Mac several years before they released (could release) their first version for Windows.
I KNOW this...but they obviously created it for someone with A LOT more disposable income than me! I can't afford to buy a Mac version of Photoshop.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-07-11, 12:01

If photoshop is your bread and butter, you *can* afford it. Otherwise, Get Photoshop Elements or something.
Bancho

2006-07-11, 12:09

Or use GIMPShop as it's a universal binary unlike any of the Adobe apps at the moment.

As Wrao said though, if you're making a living off of it, you can probably afford the real thing (even if the price is ugly).
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-07-11, 12:12

GraphicConverter is cheap. A bit archaic, sometimes, but inexpensive and pretty intuitive.

http://www.lemkesoft.com/
socreative

2006-07-11, 12:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
If photoshop is your bread and butter,
LOL! NOT! Photoshop is more of a day old Saltine to a poor little 'ole public school teacher from Georgia like me!
aecheylon

2006-07-11, 13:49

Can't you just convert your PC license over to a Mac version? I thought Adobe had some way of doing that...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-07-11, 13:59

I thought so too.

Otherwise, I think Photoshop Elements is around $99. And it might even be downloadable from Adobe's site (or did I dream that?), so you could have it RIGHT NOW.

EDIT: Ah, just checked. It is indeed available for download, and it's only $80 for the full version ($60 for upgrade). It's 454MB though, so don't do it on dial-up...might take a while.

https://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/sto...ementsMac&NR=0
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-07-11, 14:02

Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adobe
Macromedia policy is to design and provide software for specific platforms. When you purchase a single software license, you are permitted to install and use your copy of the software on a single platform. Adobe develops software for different platforms (such as Mac OS, Windows, Linux) and sells the software built for separate platforms as separate products. If you wish to use the products on different platforms, you must purchase a license of the software for each platform you will be using.
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowled...9592#platforms
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-07-11, 14:10

That may be policy, but I have - in the past - been successful at convincing Adobe and a couple of other software houses to give me a crossgrade license for free or a significantly reduced price. The thinking is that they'd rather keep you as a customer than lose your business to someone else - you're out of their upgrade stream at that point (and that's really what they want out of you once you're a customer... to come back again!). Not that I've pushed it... but when they say no, and ask if I'd like to buy a Mac license, I decline... and sometimes they start to soften.

I've been more successful with this approach by calling than by emailing, FYI. Still no guarantees of success with any company... and it's been a while since I've done this sort of thing. So who knows what'll happen these days.

I consider it analogous to cancelling a credit card. "Why?" "Oh, I have other cards with lower interest rates and higher limits" and they very often try to sweeten the deal to keep you.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2006-07-11, 15:50

Quote:
I KNOW this...but they obviously created it for someone with A LOT more disposable income than me! I can't afford to buy a Mac version of Photoshop.
Sorry. Didn't mean to sound condescending.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-07-11, 16:41

If you're going to buy an Intel Mac, why not try Boot Camp and your current Windows license for Photoshop? (Of course, you may be required to purchase another Windows license which negates some of the financial incentive)
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2006-07-11, 19:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I thought so too.

Otherwise, I think Photoshop Elements is around $99. And it might even be downloadable from Adobe's site (or did I dream that?), so you could have it RIGHT NOW.
The interface for PS Elements 4 on Windows is surprisingly slow in my limited experience with a trial version. While I haven't tried the Mac version personally - if a trial exists I would highly suggest trying it first.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-07-11, 20:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ
The interface for PS Elements 4 on Windows is surprisingly slow in my limited experience with a trial version. While I haven't tried the Mac version personally - if a trial exists I would highly suggest trying it first.
FWIW, I have it myself and find it to be quite nice. Slow on start up (like any other Adobe products ), but is pretty responsive overall.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-07-11, 20:26

Thread cleaned of off-topic junk.

tensdanny38: Suggesting piracy (even hinting at it) is not welcome here. First and only warning.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-07-11, 20:40

An application like Parallels might be worth investing in for you then. It will allow you to run Windows within an application in OSX. You'd be able to do any and all Windows things (other than 3D games) from an application window.

Parallels site is here. It's something like $50 now, going to be $80 again soon. (15th)

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
colivigan
Veteran Member

2006-07-11, 21:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Thread cleaned of off-topic junk.
One man's junk is another man's treasure.

Not to imply that there was any treasure here. Although I kinda liked the banana cartoon.

Jeez (geese?), you're not planning to do this for all the threads are you?
chartpacs

2006-07-11, 21:52

Since you said you're a school teacher, does the educational pricing of Photoshop make it more attractive for you to purchase? To give you an idea:

1) Adobe CS2 Creative Suite ($389)
http://www.academicsuperstore.com/ma...?PartNo=731430

2) Adobe Photoshop CS2 ($289)
http://www.academicsuperstore.com/ma...?PartNo=731441
babelfishi

2006-07-12, 07:41

Inkscape will do. Its free, but requires X11.
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2006-07-12, 07:52

I would suggest ChocoFlop. It also launches in like 1 second and is free.

http://www.chocoflop.com/

Better then the bloated X11 softwares

note: Not better as in more features, better as in this fits on 1.44 floppy

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
blakbyrd

Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2006-07-12, 07:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by babelfishi
Inkscape will do. Its free, but requires X11.
That's more of an Illustrator-type alternative, not Photoshop. It is good, though.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-07-12, 07:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by usurp
I would suggest ChocoFlop. It also launches in like 1 second and is free.

http://www.chocoflop.com/

Better then the bloated X11 softwares

note: Not better as in more features, better as in this fits on 1.44 floppy
Well, I love ChocoFlop, but frankly, it isn't really anywhere near productive use.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-07-12, 09:08

Quote:
LOL! NOT! Photoshop is more of a day old Saltine to a poor little 'ole public school teacher from Georgia like me!
Hey, if you're a teacher then you might be able to find a college re-seller nearby. My campus store is selling the entire CS2 suite (Photoshop CS2, Illustrator CS2, InDesign CS2, GoLive CS2, Acrobat 7.0 Pro) for only $399 with a valid educational ID. Considering that the MSRP is $1,200 that's a great deal. I'm sure that if you check around places like these you can find photoshop pretty dang cheap. I use Gimp because I'm really dang cheap

Last edited by World Leader Pretend : 2006-07-12 at 12:54.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-07-12, 09:43

Couldn't you also wait for the Universal version of CS2 suite to be released and then get the non-universal if it goes on a big sale? (If you aren't using an intel mac or just don't care if it is Universal or not)
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-07-12, 10:00

Quote:
Uhhh.... aren't they the same price?

Yup. On Amazon: Mac $588, Windows $589. So actually, the Mac version is cheaper!

Furthermore, I have punched in a Mac PS activation code into a Windows PS trial download and achieved success! And by success I mean it asked me where the old version of PS was (which I dont have for Windows - back to 5.5 for Mac, but no luck for Windows) because it was an upgrade code. So, it would work if you had a FULL Windows code - no upgrades! Also, you're going the other way, and I can't imagine that would change anything but you never know.

Also, remember: you're a teacher, so you could get an educational discount if you wanted. The price varies around the internets but they normally fall somewhere between $250 - $300 for a full version. $290 on where I normally go, JourneyEd.com

On a final note, if you're used to Photoshop, going to something cheaper will be hard. Also, if you use Photoshop to make money, then you would recoup the $300 cost pretty quick.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.