User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Potential MBP purchaser - high quality audio output?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Potential MBP purchaser - high quality audio output?
Feng

2006-08-24, 07:17

I'm considering purchase of a Macbook Pro, however have one major concern first before buying. Music is the major focus, and I want to ensure high quality output. I use my computer as input into a fairly high end stereo setup. My current laptop is a sony pc, which has dedicated rca outs - which works perfectly and gives superb quality. My concern with the Macbook Pro is that the only audio output is a minijack. Minijack's don't have a particularly good reputation for this sort of application - which I have certainly found from my own experience.

So what I was wondering was if there is some other output alternative? ie: some form of usb or firewire device with RCA etc or a card of some sort? I don't mind spending quite a bit of money, as this is an absolute priority.

(Please keep in mind here that the audio system is worth approx 2 times a MBP - so I really am looking for the highest quality output to match the system)

Any suggestions for the best audio out options would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-08-24, 07:20

M-Audio has a large amount of USB- and FireWire-based external audio devices.
Feng

2006-08-24, 07:55

Thanks chucker. Have been looking at m-audio but struggling to see a product which seems suitable. most of what I can see seems to be aimed more at recording for musicians etc and with significantly more complexity than I would require. Any thoughts?
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2006-08-24, 08:34

I personally have this M-Audio USB premobil box. It's very easy to use. You get phantom power for mics and 1/4inch inputs (2 of each, but only 2 channels so any combination of 2 can be used at any time). The recordings come out very nice and clean when you go directly from an amp or PA. I would recommend it.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-08-24, 09:36

Isn't the optical in/out good enough?

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2006-08-24, 09:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge
Isn't the optical in/out good enough?

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html
Yeah, but if youre using things like mic inputs and 1/4 cables and have to use converter pieces, you lose quality. That's why i got my M-Audio box. Next on the list is a nice 16 channel mixer.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-08-24, 10:23

Which is why usage is important. It appears that the OP is not looking to record professional music or vocals.
Feng

2006-08-24, 19:27

Thanks everyone for all the replies, although Engine Joe is correct - my usage is not as complex as recording music or vocals. All I am trying to achieve is a form of high quality output with can go to my amp via RCA's.

Muggee - regarding the optical out, I'm not really sure, but would it work? I don't have optical input on my amp (like most they are RCA only), meaning I would probably then need some sort of a converter to RCA's. You will have to pardon my techincal ignorance, but my understanding is that optical is digital and so it wouldn't go to RCA?

Is there anyone else who has gone the same route as myself and needs a different output? Thanks again.
kaupena

2006-08-26, 12:49

You should look into getting a really good quality D/A converter for your stereo. Run the optical signal into the D/A converter and it will give you a high quality signal to run into your pre-amp. That way you'll be getting a much better quality conversion. There are a lot of options out there at a lot of price points, look around on ebay or audiogon.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-08-26, 16:59

My technical knowledge on audio is probably less than yours, Feng.

kaupena might be on to something, though.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-08-26, 17:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaupena
You should look into getting a really good quality D/A converter for your stereo. Run the optical signal into the D/A converter and it will give you a high quality signal to run into your pre-amp. That way you'll be getting a much better quality conversion. There are a lot of options out there at a lot of price points, look around on ebay or audiogon.
That's probably the best.

How is your stereo set up now? Does the Sony laptop connect directly to the amp, without any sort of preamp?
Jason
Veteran Member

2006-08-27, 18:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feng View Post
Thanks everyone for all the replies, although Engine Joe is correct - my usage is not as complex as recording music or vocals. All I am trying to achieve is a form of high quality output with can go to my amp via RCA's.

Muggee - regarding the optical out, I'm not really sure, but would it work? I don't have optical input on my amp (like most they are RCA only), meaning I would probably then need some sort of a converter to RCA's. You will have to pardon my techincal ignorance, but my understanding is that optical is digital and so it wouldn't go to RCA?

Is there anyone else who has gone the same route as myself and needs a different output? Thanks again.
I don't think you need anything other than an Airport Express Connection and a set of good cables. I am in a similar situation to you - I use Naim Amps/Linn Speakers for playback and find that recording either AIFF or ALC file is sufficient for an Audiophile's needs.
RobM

2006-08-27, 22:04

Hey Feng - have a squizz at this Mackie box.
Might be right up your alley.
http://www.mackie.com/products/400f/specs.html
or the complete line up here http://www.mackie.com/products/digit...#compactmixers

I'm more of a Mackoid than M-Audio, although I do own a pair of audiophiles.
Both make nice gear.