User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Digital Distribution

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Digital Distribution
gjas15

2006-09-05, 00:51

I have been thinking about this ever since the Lionsgate Films leak of the Movie Store.
Movies are moving toward digital distribution, now that the majority of homes (USA) have broadband. Digital distribution is an inevitable outcome. Movies will be distributed over the internet. The question is not how will this happen it is how are we going to consume said media? For digital distribution to become mainstream the main focus has to be where we currently enjoy this type of media, the livingroom.

A Video iPod will happen but not necessarily immediately. (not until VRD's become cheaper and mainstream) Now that we have the "where" of digital distribution the question is how? In Steve's words "the hub" of the livingroom, a Set Top Box. Speculation went flying when the first Mac Mini's were found to have what appeared to be an integrated iPod dock and it wouldn't surprise me if this STB were to be part of the Mac Mini line. The problem lies in space. The Mini in its current form could not possibly hold a large enough hard drive let alone tuners and the sheer number of connectors required on the back for hookup to an HD A/V system. It would probably resemble other equipment in dimensions and offered in optional black/silver to match other A/V components. (Personally, I would like it black with a glowing white Apple Logo on the front that would pulse orange or red when recording)
This Media Mini would have builtin WiFi and a gigabit ethernet port for program guide updates, iTunes store access, and streaming (more on this later). Now you might be thinking this is just a beefed up Tivo, well not exactly.

A Tivo is nice but, I prefer my Dish DVR. The biggest reason? My Dish DVR IS the tuner, this opens up many features that are very hard to implement as an addon (dual tuners and changing channels) as well as losing one more remote and device under my TV. The Media Mini will be the tuner, including an embedded smart card or slot for Dish/DirectTV, a CableCard slot for digital cable, and an OTA digital/analogue tuner. Plus, Apple will have sorted out the legal issues with the major Sat and Cable companies by encoding all recordings in Fairplay DRM and if possible supporting Video on Demand or sharing profits of the Movie Store.

Recording is only an addon feature, the main point of this device is to play content downloaded from the Movie Store or already possessed by the consumer. To accomplish this the Media Mini will need to support a wide range of video and container formats through the use of plugins ala quicktime or extensibility in the user interface that allows other video players (VLC) to be integrated into the menu easily and seamlessly. Lets get back to the point of gigabit and WiFi connectivity. The Media Mini will need at least a 200GB drive and have a Firewire port for expansion. Why so large when it uses h.264? It doubles as a video streaming server for live TV and stored content. Any computer or compatible device with iTunes (or other media program Apple creates) can view either live TV (and change channels) or content on the drive streamed from the Media Mini. The Media Mini will also be able to stream over the internet to any of your authorized devices. It could centralize your music and video collections to solve the multi user iTunes library problem.

I came up some basic requirements for this "Media Mini"

- Cannot have tivos failings ala not being the tuner (sat and digital cable)

- Requires smart card and cable card slots

- Dual tuner for sat, cable (digital and analog), or OTA digital and any combination thereof

- Two way RF remote and/or wifi ipod

- Stream video over a network connection to other supported devices (laptops, desktops, PDA's, wifi enabled iPod) (like sony's offering)

- Ability to extend video format and container format compatibility with plugins like quicktime (needs to be able to play the "mp3's" of video)

- High Definition capable (atleast 1080i)

- Front panel USB 2.0 and Firewire for ipod charging/syncing (network syncing wifi ipod)

- HDMI, component, S-Video, and composite video outs

- Digital audio out (probably optical)

-Wifi and Gigabit Ethernet

- No external powerbrick

- iTunes store interface

- Ability to access all video content on any system over a network (bonjour)

- Dual layer DVD-RW or BD-RW (too costly) for archival of TV shows and Movies. Also for ripping of DVD's to h.264 and CD's

- At least 200GB HD

- 1 rear panel firewire/USB 2.0 connection for hard drive expansion

- User replaceable HD

- Silent operation

- LED's on front that show capacity used or use that color changing case patent to make a strip on the front that slowly turnsfrom green to red as free space diminishes

Cost = $799? Maybe Cable companies and Sat providers could subsidize this cost like cellphone companies?

*Anything in red is possible future inclusions as price and devices allow.

A device like this is required for any type of movie store to become mainstream. Most people don't have a desktop that sits near enough to a tv nor does that desktop have all of the necessary hookups for an A/V setup. At least personally I would rather enjoy movies on a TV (where my surround sound system and couch are) not a laptop or desktop.

Anyone have thoughts on this? I had to write down my speculation somewhere figured I might as well throw it out there for debate

Last edited by gjas15 : 2006-09-05 at 01:11.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2006-09-05, 06:50

I agree wholeheartedly with the idea of a Mac Media Centre, and most of what you've said here. I don't think Apple would bother getting movies for iTMS if they didn't want them to be played on a screen larger than 2.5".

Advantages:

DVD player/recorder, DVR, tuners in one
-therefore EASY PEASY to use and set up (especially since it's designed by Apple)
-and saves on space
-don't have to keep flicking display and sound system back and forth between TV/DVD/etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjas15 View Post
- No external powerbrick
Why not? Wouldn't that help with heat and space issues? (main two issues) *not an expert*

I think a more realistic price would be somewhere around the $1299 mark. I want to be able to buy it without getting cable.

I think it would be extra cool if you had something like the wireless Xbox controllers so you could play a game on it if you wanted. I *KNOW* Macs aren't gaming machines, but it would be cool for people who don't want a dedicated gaming machine but want to play an occasional game when they have friends over. Maybe a bit of iSight - eyeToy action too. I'm not - I repeat - not saying they should compete with Xbox and PS. But I think it would be a cool option/add-on for the occasional/social gamer.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2006-09-05, 07:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjas15
...now that the majority of homes (USA) have broadband.
You've got a source or sources to back up this part of your post? I'm skeptical.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-09-05, 07:44

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/bw/0605/
Quote:
Between 42% to 48% of online Americans (active and less active) subscribe to a broadband service, according to surveys by Pew Internet and the GAO. Among active Internet users, US broadband penetration broke 70% for the first time in April 2006.
Moonmonkey

2006-09-05, 07:45

yeh, its bullshit, not all americans are online.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2006-09-05, 07:45

If Apple really does release some sort of video streaming "SlingBox" type idea next week as AI has reported, I doubt we'll ever see a media center type device. Why buy another $1000+ computer when your current system will work fine with a $100 add on for the TV/home theater?
gjas15

2006-09-05, 13:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveblue View Post
Why not? Wouldn't that help with heat and space issues? (main two issues) *not an expert*
I hate powerbricks... They take up way too much space on my powerstrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
You've got a source or sources to back up this part of your post? I'm skeptical.
I should have been more precise. Of internet users in the USA most have broadband. I figured the first part was a given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
If Apple really does release some sort of video streaming "SlingBox" type idea next week as AI has reported, I doubt we'll ever see a media center type device. Why buy another $1000+ computer when your current system will work fine with a $100 add on for the TV/home theater?
At least of all the people I know not a single one has a computer close enough to their main TV to make it easy and simple to hookup. Besides how many grandma's out there do you know that can deal with multiple monitors, complex programs (relatively), and the many little "hiccups" that happen when a normal computer is used for a media center. Hell, most have issues just browsing the internet. Then on top of them what about the people like my parents? They want something that Just Works™. My experience tells me that even the allmighty Macintosh is not able to do this. I've used EyeTV before and yes its great for someone like me but not for them they would get pissed the first time the video didn't go on the right monitor.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2006-09-05, 18:51

Quote:
Not if it's not part of the plug itself.

AppleInsider seems to be talking about a device which will stream movies wirelessly...
Quote:
Insiders can only presume the device will take up the form of a video-enabled version of Apple's existing AirPort Express wireless base station, which lets users stream their iTunes music tracks from their computers to their home stereo receivers. It also acts as a wireless 802.11 router and printing hub.
I hope we're right.
doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2006-09-05, 21:27

Quote:
I jsut found out that my MacBook Pro came with an adapater, after I came back from camp