Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Weird DHCP problems

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Weird DHCP problems
Dave
Ninja Editor

2008-01-12, 15:50

My friend's got a router (Netgear, IIRC) that doesn't pay attention to what I tell it to do. I've got it setup to always give certain IP addresses to certain MAC addresses so that all his file sharing works between all three of his computers. For no reason that I can see, the DHCP sever is his router sometimes decides that his Powerbook really needs to have a different IP than the one I've got entered in the Static IP setup. It'll go for months without doing it, and now it's happened twice in three days. I've tried telling him the steps I take to fix this problem, but as soon as he gets to the one that involves opening the router config page, he panics and calls me anyway. Any ideas? I'm going to fix it by getting rid of DHCP and manually configuring everything, but I'd love to know why his router has a mind of its own.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-01-12, 16:52

Is there another router in the network? Could it be the modem that has router capability as well?

There also may be a conflict between who's giving out IP and who's asking for a specific IP- Is one of three computer configured to use a static IP that may conflict with router's setting, for example?

More details on how they are setup will be needed.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2008-01-12, 17:30

That is definitely the first thing to check. DHCP is is a broadcast protocol, which basically means that your computer shouts "Someone gimme an IP address!" and the first device to answer is normally the successful one!*

*Disclaimer
This is a major oversimplification of the DHCP protocol! (Just incase Eugene wants to pop in and accuse me of spreading FUD!!!

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
Dave
Ninja Editor

2008-01-13, 04:41

I suppose his DSL modem could have a DHCP server on it. I'll have to look into it. The thing that weirds me out is that the router will lose the entry in the Static IP table, but only the one for the Powerbook (which is definitely set to use DHCP). As I said in my first post, this will all be academic after Monday when I get rid of DHCP, but I'd really love to know why the router's acting so weird.