Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

What is Twitter?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What is Twitter?
Chinney
Veteran Member

2009-02-12, 21:40

I've asked a few people and looked it up on wiki, but I still don't have a clear idea. Without me actually having to register and do it - assuming you can actually twitter using a computer (or is it mainly for cellphones) - what exactly is twitter? How is it different than text messaging? Is it a special form of text messaging? Is it "text messaging" meets an online forum? Are there different "twitter" sites? For example, can you go and twit about Apple computers? Is there an AN twitter site? I've more or less kept up with technology (even if I don't always use it), but this one is leaving me behind.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
noleli2

2009-02-12, 21:43

In his column yesterday, David Pouge hits the nail on the head: it's whatever you want it to be.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-02-12, 21:58

AppleNovatwitter: What Are You Doing Right Now?

Just about everything you need to know about twitter is right there on the first page.

In summary:

Quote:
"Hey, I know...let me broadcast to the world - in real time! - every single thing I do, think, say, eat, drink, see, taste, read or expel...in case anyone out there gives a rip. It'll be cool!"

MySpace/FaceBook for those with even shorter attention spans?
Quote:
fuck twitter. no one is that interesting. Unless you're a hot lesbian nympho. then twitter away.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2009-02-12, 22:00

Looks like I am not the only one asking the question right now. Pogue's is a pretty good explanation.

So far, I am not tempted to sign up and tweet. But here's a question, what if I were to sign up...and I had no followers? Or even worse, I immediately developed lots. Sounds kind of creepy...like being stalked.

Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-02-12, 22:08

I don't know anyone on this planet who's twitter I'd read. I really don't understand the young folks anymore... which is sad because I'm not thirty yet! It's probably good though.

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-02-12, 22:10

I really only have people here on AN that I follow and who follow me. It's kinda like an AN chat for me. Though I do throw up occasional other details of my life too.

I wouldn't say I use it all the time, just enough to say I'm a regular though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2009-02-12, 22:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
AppleNovatwitter: What Are You Doing Right Now?

Just about everything you need to know about twitter is right there on the first page.

[...]

But that 'Nova thread is just mock tweeting, no? You can't tweet onto a AN forum can you?

Anyway, it sounds mostly like a waste of time. Unlike teh Nova.

thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2009-02-12, 22:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swox View Post
I don't know anyone on this planet who's twitter I'd read. I really don't understand the young folks anymore... which is sad because I'm not thirty yet! It's probably good though.
How do you think i feel at my age then! Young folk, who understands them anyway..............
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2009-02-12, 22:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
But here's a question, what if I were to sign up...and I had no followers? Or even worse, I immediately developed lots. Sounds kind of creepy...like being stalked.
There's so many weird "internet marketers" who auto follow people, you're bound to have people following you. Filthy spammers. But like everyone has said, it's whatever you want it to be.

I really like it because it's a means of communication with bloggers I like and a way to read some really funny short quips from people. I'm not into the whole "I'm in the shower", "I'm going for a run" updates, because no one wants to know what I'm doing all the time and I don't want to know what you're doing all the time. But if you're interesting and have interesting things to say, I follow you. I guess it's the same idea with why I subscribe to certain RSS feeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swox View Post
Funny you say that. Just today I came up with a list of people I wish were on Twitter so I could follow them. When I joined it sometime last year I did so to see what the buzz was all about. I've got to say it's pretty addicting.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-02-12, 22:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
But that 'Nova thread is just mock tweeting, no? You can't tweet onto a AN forum can you?

Anyway, it sounds mostly like a waste of time. Unlike teh Nova.
Yes, yes, and yes.