Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Superstitious Computing

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Superstitious Computing
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-10-21, 08:44

We are all Learned Beings of Science, but most of you are also humans, with all the frailties of that species. While using a computer, do you ever find yourself doing something that brooks logic, yet are unable to shake the habit?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2022-10-21, 10:31

I double space after a period, even though I know damn well that the computer will replace it with a single.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-10-21, 11:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I double space after a period, even though I know damn well that the computer will replace it with a single.
Old typewriter habit from the days when all characters used the same space on the page. I see that and it drives me bonkers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
… but most of you are also humans …
I identify as a jelly donut!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-21, 17:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I still double space after periods and not likely to change anytime soon. Funny thing is, I never learned to type on a typewriter. I have always used a computer.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Anonymous Coward

2022-10-21, 18:23

I double space after a period and I did learn to type on a typewriter (electric in high school and mostly manual in college). As far as I can remember, it is more of a style manual thing (do any writers still use those?). Newspapers and other typeset media preferred the single space because it allowed more print on the page. There were competing style manuals (I probably copies of the Chicago Manual of Style and one commonly used one by Kate Turabian somewhere and maybe others I can't remember right now that supported either the one space or two space standard.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-10-21, 18:44

The light on my external drive stays on after the disk is ejected, so I turn on Disk utility to unmount the volume manually, to make the light go off before I unplug the cable.

Sometimes, when I'm downloading or doing a repetitious procedure I'll pick a place to rest my finger/mouse, and stick with that as part of my rhythm.

There are more.

Maybe they're not superstitious, as much as they are OCD patterns

kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-10-24, 10:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I still double space after periods and not likely to change anytime soon. Funny thing is, I never learned to type on a typewriter. I have always used a computer.
Early computers were just typewrites with a screen.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-24, 13:41

That is how they were taught at least.

I remember using a typing teacher app that the graphics were a typewriter.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-10-24, 14:37

While we had a computer when I was young it was mostly my Dad’s work tool. I learned to type on a late model computerized typewriter at school. You typed everything, hit enter and it printed that line out. That was kind of nice, you could at least correct errors before printing them.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-10-24, 15:44

I learned to type on an Apple ][+, which was just a typewriter with a screen. And, yes, I know it was more than "just a typewriter", but at that point computers were borrowing type-setting standards for text display. In order to differentiate proper spacing between words and sentences, we were still using the old "double space" after a period. That standard was still leftover from printing-press type spacing, and is no longer relevant in modern computing, as each character has its own, unique spacing. It's a tired, old standard that has no place in modern, computer-based type-setting. I taught myself to single-space on computers 20 years ago.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)