User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

HELP! with Music Archiving using iTunes!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
HELP! with Music Archiving using iTunes!
DSchroeff

2005-08-11, 11:22

I just pulled the trigger on a shiny new 14" iBook (I'm the latest switcher!) a few minutes ago, and can't wait to set it all up and start living the iLife I was meant to lead. My problem is this: I have a Dell POS at work, and have spent months meticulously compiling my music collection into MP3's with album covers and everything. I wish to port these over to my new iBook when it arrives. Idealy I would like to back up all these perfectly labeled MP3 files in their artists' folders and create archive disks.

Is iTunes capable of this? I've tried dilligently with the Data CD burning option under iTunes preferences, but it does not seem to work in terms of transfering in neatly organized folders.

One solution I thought was implied a few weeks ago on this forum was that while PC's cannot read Apple configured iPods, Macs CAN read PC configured iPods. Is this true? If so, can I simply take the new iPod I've got coming and ferry my music that way?

Ultimately, I want archived Data discs of my MP3s. If iTunes can't do this, does anyone out there know of a good burning program (preferably free) for a Windows2000(Pro) PC that will allow me to copy the entire folder of music, and not just the files?

I'm sure this is not a new question, so if anyone can reference an old thread, I'd appreciate that equally! Thanks in advance!
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-08-11, 12:14

iTunes will import your MP3's and sort them by artist, than album based on your ID3 Tags that you completed. If you did that right, iTunes should keep your folders.

If you want to burn your music, use the finder or some other utility. iTunes will probably only burn the MP3's but I never used this feature.

OK, PC's can't read Mac formatted disks but Macs can read (but not write) PC disks. (Specifically NTSF) You would probably have to format to the PC version, and enable disk use. You would use your PC to update/sync your iPod and have read-only access to the music on your Mac.

Apple prohibits copying music from iTunes on one computer to another. You would have to enable disk use and copy your MP3 folder to the iPod manually. (Note, the iPod can NOT read this folder. You will have 2 copies of your MP3's, one accessible and one hidden.)

One solution I thought was implied a few weeks ago on this forum was that while PC's cannot read Apple configured iPods, Macs CAN read PC configured iPods. Is this true? If so, can I simply take the new iPod I've got coming and ferry my music that way?

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET

Last edited by Ebby : 2005-08-11 at 12:22.
DSchroeff

2005-08-11, 12:17

Thanks. I've been using iTunes on the Dell. Therefore, the music is nicely organized in folders. I simply wish to have those folders, and their files, burned to disc... And then transfer them to the new iBook that way
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-08-11, 12:27

iTunes for Mac is the same as that for PC. You could:

#1) Use iTunes to burn your whole library as data to a disk. (Looses folder structure temporarly, but iTunes will rebuild it when you re-import them on the Mac)

#2) Find your main MP3 folder iTunes uses and burn that to a disk. (All subfolders will also be copied but needs 3rd party burner app)

#3) When your Mac comes, use ethernet to transfer the whole MP3 folder (and all subfolders) to your Mac and import to iTunes. (A little trickier, but there are plenty of threads on the topic)

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET

Last edited by Ebby : 2005-08-11 at 12:30.