Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Linksys WRT54G not connecting to the internet

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Linksys WRT54G not connecting to the internet
Quagmire
meh

2006-07-15, 01:40

As noted in my purchasing advice thread, the router isn't working. I have tried to set it up. It looks like in the setup everything was working. The Airport Extreme card saw it and connected to it. But, the internet doesn't work. Most likely I did probably set it up wrong even hardwired to the router it doesn't work. I am a complete moron when it comes to routers/networking. Please help.

giggity
Jerman

2006-07-15, 04:33

Do you have to enter any account information when you connect to the net directly to your broadband connection? If so, you will need to set up "PPPoE" on the router. If not this, you may need to "clone" your Mac address if the router happens to be "locked" in to only connecting via the router. Sorry to not explain in more detail, but the manual for the router should be able to explain both of these. But right now it is bedtime.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-07-15, 08:09

There are a lot of variables that go into your router setup. What kind of connection to the net do you have? Does your net connection work when directly connected to the computer? Give us a few more details and I'm sure we can get this fixed for ya.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Quagmire
meh

2006-07-15, 11:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472
There are a lot of variables that go into your router setup. What kind of connection to the net do you have? Does your net connection work when directly connected to the computer? Give us a few more details and I'm sure we can get this fixed for ya.
I have Comcast High Speed Internet( Cable). If you mean if the internet works when the Cable modem is plugged into the computer yes it does. If you mean hardwired to the router, no it doesn't. As I said I am a complete moron when it comes to networking.

giggity
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2006-07-15, 12:46

The router has all the tools you need to figure out problems built right into it's web admin page.

First off, check to see if the router is actually getting an IP from the cable modem. It should be, but if not that's a good start to solving your problem.

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
Quagmire
meh

2006-07-15, 13:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickers
The router has all the tools you need to figure out problems built right into it's web admin page.

First off, check to see if the router is actually getting an IP from the cable modem. It should be, but if not that's a good start to solving your problem.
When I go to status in the browser, it shows no IP address or a subnet mask.
Quagmire
meh

2006-07-15, 14:30

YAY! I got to work. I cloned the MAC address and now it works!

Last edited by Quagmire : 2006-07-15 at 14:36.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-07-15, 14:37

Yeah, I was about to point to this:

http://www.cs.umd.edu/~daveho/info/comcast.html

Why do you have to do this? Because Comcast is a bitch. There is no reason (besides discouraging people from using their own routers so they'd have to buy some special "upgrade" package) to force this weird workaround. I've heard of other ISP doing related nasty tactics to dissuade routers. It all disgusts me.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Quagmire
meh

2006-07-15, 14:40

Wow, internet seems much faster now with the G router. The D-Link was a B. Eh. Verizon is a bitch too. When we lost internet for the whole summer last year, we tried to get Verizon DSL as a backup. The stupid CD wouldn't work with the Mac. And to get to Verizon support my dad had to wait an hour or two to get someone. We gave up and sent the kit back.

giggity
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-07-15, 16:22

Cox used to do the MAC pairing with your computer and the computer had to have a Cox designated name. You know, something easy like CA-248583-c, and it was case sensitive too. Now they just don't care anymore and no MAC address needed. In fact they know I have seven computers constantly online and don't care. It's a nice change really.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.