User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Wwdc
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-06-10, 19:49

Craig was good, and yeah, there's no question that the new phones and OS will debut simultaneously. THIS is what makes me think that a 6 really could be in the works instead of a 5s.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2013-06-11, 04:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
there's no question that the new phones and OS will debut simultaneously. THIS is what makes me think that a 6 really could be in the works instead of a 5s.
No chance. We’ve already seen the white, black, and gold parts for the iPhone 5S, which look largely the same as the existing iPhone 5 parts. And Apple must have a lot of engineers working on the $400 iPhone at the moment. Only when it’s ready will they move onto the iPhone 6, I think.

Since the WWDC video streams so poorly on the Apple site, I tried to find it on Apple’s YouTube page. I didn’t find it, but I saw this ad instead, which I like (inspired by World of Goo?). There’s a definite sense of Apple regaining confidence after being browbeaten by Android’s market-share growth and the collapse of the share price.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-06-11, 07:05

Why would s 6 necessarily have to be in the works? I see this fall going like the previous several years...a new OS, with the second, "s" variant of the current model (get another year put of the same design/housing, just improve the processor, graphics and camera a bit).

I don't think we'll see a (redesigned) iPhone 6 until 2014.

This current way is nice...they get two full years out of a design before tweaking it or moving on to a new direction. Depending on when people are coming off their contracts, it pretty much gives everyone a chance to own each major design (either the X or its Xs update).

Off-topic (click to toggle):
I can't wait to have iOS 7 on this 5! It's gonna feel like a brand new phone (which might spur me to keep it longer than my planned two years and catch the 6s). I would indeed like to get myself thrown over to that cycle, upgrading on the "s" releases...the tried-true-tested, improved/beefed-up "Rev. B" take on each design.

Therefore, assuming my battery life holds on, I am gonna try my best and keep this 5 for three years total (as I did with my original iPhone), until fall(?) 2015. I figure iOS 7 and 8 will go a long way in keeping it feeling "fresh and new" (I only got the 4 in 2010 because my battery on my three-year-old original iPhone was so drained and near-useless in real-world, day-to-day usage). It was actually fine for about three full years. It was just that stretch, going beyond three years (summer to September) that it seemed to really take a dive. Those additional 3-4 months, I was charging numerous times daily and the least bit of usage would zap the battery indicator!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2013-06-11 at 07:30.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2013-06-11, 14:40

Changing gears for a second, did anyone else notice the subtle Pixelmator plug during the presentation? Rumor has it that the crowd at WWDC is not too pleased about Adobe CC, I wonder if Apple itself is growing ambivalent towards Adobe. They have to be thinking they could serve content creators better themselves through the App Store, with robust applications and better (real) licensing terms, competitively priced, though not at the extortionist levels Adobe is threatening.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2013-06-11, 14:45

Adobe is pricing themselves out of relevance... Someone, somewhere is going to develop a less expensive cs-like package that doesnt feel cheap like pixelmator...
zippy
Veteran Member

2013-06-11, 14:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
Changing gears for a second, did anyone else notice the subtle Pixelmator plug during the presentation? Rumor has it that the crowd at WWDC is not too pleased about Adobe CC, I wonder if Apple itself is growing ambivalent towards Adobe. They have to be thinking they could serve content creators better themselves through the App Store, with robust applications and better (real) licensing terms, competitively priced, though not at the extortionist levels Adobe is threatening.
I didn't watch the whole thing, but listened to most of it. What section of the keynote was the 'plug' in?

I did think heavily about 1Password when they were going over iCloud Keychain. I think 1Password might still have some extra functionality over the keychain thing, but then I don't think I use that functionality in 1Password either.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Matsu
Veteran Member

2013-06-11, 14:55

I got to go back and re-watch it, my video-stream was on again, off again, and I missed parts. Someone was talking about creative pros, while video cut to a screen of a drop-down menu and someone selecting apps, on the list was pixelmator, not photoshop...