AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Time Machine router

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Time Machine router
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-08-09, 11:18

So my mom's Time Capsule is starting to show issues with reliability. Currently it is still going but it is very long in the tooth.

What is the current replacement for someone like my mom who has me for a tech and I don't want to always be a tech when I'm visiting with her? Basically, is there a Time Capsule "replacement" on the market? My mom's place is such that the router in the closet it is in will completely cover her house and parts of her yard where she would use a device. So she doesn't need mesh that has been really popular lately.

I'm assuming at this point I would need a router and external HDD. I just want to have something that will backup over WiFi with nothing plugged into her MBP.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-09, 11:26

Perhaps someone can shed some light on it, but I am unaware of any product like the Time Capsule (I think they were entirely alone in this market segment). Ubiquity make very good wireless access points that are as easy to manage as Apple's, but you have to have an external HDD to go along for the ride.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-08-09, 14:12

I know I can easily get a $300 router that should work. I guess I'm just trying to figure out something that is very functional and doesn't require odd configurations to get Time Machine to back up to it. It needs to "just work" for my mom when she's on her home network.

I had considered UniFi but that's overkill for her needs. I happen to really like Synology so I had also thought about RT2600ac ($199 at Amazon)since it would give me VPN access to her house with ease among many other features. It also includes built in Time Machine support. Given I use their NAS products I know it works well and she would be fine.

Personally I'm currently using an old AirPort Extreme (same generation as her Time Capsule) for my backups by pulling an external drive in it. I have the network functions turned off though. For this, I'm really considering moving the external drive to one of my NASs and unplugging the Extreme.

Back to my mom though, I was really hoping there would be something that is pushed by Apple or other geeks that just works. I told my mom it would be about $300 for the router and external HDD.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-09, 15:35

We carry the Ubiquity UniFi WAP ($149), and a product from Promise called Apollo (2TB for $199). They "just work" in the senses that they do.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-08-09, 19:07

I'm curious, mind linking to which UniFi product you carry?

I think if I do end up buying her new gear it will be Synology at this point. However, UniFi is not off of the table either.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-09, 23:11

Look it up yourself, you lazy squid …

Ok, ok. Here you go.

PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2019-08-10, 02:15

I have a Netgear Nighthawk R6700 router that’s usually $130-ish but got it on an Amazon sale for $70-ish a few months back when I figured out my low-end Linksys from 2013 was failing. It’s an excellent router, dual-band with great range on 5Ghz, and has a USB3 port for NAS. I’m not currently using the NAS capability but I imagine it would work perfectly fine with an external drive for Time Machine.

Edit: It can also be fully controlled by Netgear’s iOS app.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-08-11, 11:54

Yo Ken! Go to Amazon and paste "Ubiquity UniFi WAP" into it and look at why I asked what specific device you were talking about.

Personally I have three Pro's for my house and even a wall unit after an expansion was completed. This isn't a setup I'm going to do for my mom though I'm really familiar with it.

Thanks for the feedback PKI! I'll have to look into if it can handle Time Machine "natively" for her. I'm all for having her pay less if it will do the job.