Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Second PB Battery

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Second PB Battery
Phoenix
formerly "trav"

2005-03-03, 23:45

I am thinking of getting a second PB battery for my 17" and was wondering a few things about them. Do they lose their charge after a period of time? I want one for the times when i don't really have anywhere to charge it. Most of those times come when i don't expect it, so if it loses the charge then it might not be so good for me. Thanks
T
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-03-04, 00:16

First, read this
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86284
for Apple's advice on how to treat your battery - "You should perform this procedure when you first use your computer and then every few months thereafter."

Second, some general battery advice:
using your battery down to 75% and then charging it back to full, hits the long-term service life of the battery just as much as running the battery down to 5% (it still counts as a discharge/charge cycle). So, if you run off battery, you should not plug it in till it gets to 10% or so if possible. The battery capacity is helped as well as the battery life by treating it properly.

My advice for your situation would to be to swap out your batteries once a week, so that one doesn't sit idle all the time with one taking the full hit of all your charge/discharge cycles. This will maximize the useful life of both batteries.
Phoenix
formerly "trav"

2005-03-06, 18:38

Ok so if i was to get a second battery and charge it fully, how long do i have to use it before it loses charge? Or does it not do this? Im just wondering if i have it sitting charged for a week or so and then want to use it will it be charged still. Hope this makes sense.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-03-06, 18:44

As long as you are measuring sit-around time in weeks and not months, you should be fine. I wouldn't go longer than 90 days.

Even if it does lose charge after 90 days, it will be a minor loss at the most, like you'd have 85% charge when you start.
Phoenix
formerly "trav"

2005-03-06, 18:49

Awesome. Thats what i wanted to know. Thanks a lot.