AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Business website hosting?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Business website hosting?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2017-12-05, 11:00

Anyone have any recommendations. Looking for something with decent templates I can work with, I'm not interested in building something from scratch.

Just wondering who's decent out there, it's been almost seven years since I've looked into this.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Ryan
Veteran Member

2017-12-06, 10:18

Squarespace is likely the most straightforward if you don't want to get your hands dirty.

For extremely basic needs (static only, rare content updates) I toss a Jekyll site on AWS S3 and spend about a dollar a month on it, but this requires a bit of mucking about.
¡Damned!

2017-12-06, 12:32

If you're considering the Squarespace and its ilk route I'd suggest taking a look at Wix as well. There's probably a 95% overlap in what they offer, but having built sites in both as a designer I prefer Wix. More options to fiddle with layout and text, and their mobile optimization tools are way better. IMO, YMMV, etc.

So it goes.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2017-12-11, 11:01

Yeah, mobile layout is going to be key. I'm thinking we might just hire someone and them build it in a WP theme, I've had good luck with the various pieces you can plug into a word press site in the past.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-12-11, 21:48

WordPress is a great way to go as long as you remember to do the updates on it. It is a very popular CMS so it gets updated and maintained constantly. Because it is so popular bugs get discovered too. Bad news if you don't patch it.

BulletProof Security is a great plugin for it to help lock it down. Won't allow you to be completely lax with security, but it does take the edge off. Free one is more than adequate too.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2017-12-15, 10:05

Yeah, if you're going to use Wordpress and don't want to be a full-time admin, go with one of the hosted services like WPEngine or Pressable.