User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone X
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2017-11-04, 18:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post

I would love to see a iPhone X mini. Something SE size but with no bezels. I think that would be my ideal phone.
This. Part of the reason I got an 8 instead is even that feels a bit big to me.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2017-11-04, 18:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I was reading about the battery indicator, you find it with the control panel now if I read right.
You’re right! Thanks turtle.
Eugene
careful with axes

2017-11-04, 22:04

The actual FaceID unlock is slower, but in real world usage it’s been faster because by the time I realize FacedID is requesting an unlock, it’s already done it. This was most apparent when Safari wanted to access my keychain. Before I’d have to physically place my thumb on the home button, but now the FaceID throbber just appears in the middle,of the screen and unlocks the feature before you even realize.

Is this the best concept for security? Probably not, but using a fingerprint isn’t really secure either in different ways.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2017-11-07, 14:35

So I've got the 11.2 beta on my iPhone X and Apple Pay Cash became available today.

However, I've run into a problem. I'm signed into iMassage with my Gmail account & iCloud with my @iCloud account.

However, to be able to use Apple Pay Cash, you need to be signed into the same account for both.

How can I combine these to make this work?

EDIT: Instead of trying to make this work, I just ditched my Gmail address for iMessage. I've been ditching Gmail as much as I can lately, so this gives me a reason to do so.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.

Last edited by kieran : 2017-11-07 at 14:48.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2017-11-07, 23:04

So after 5 days with this device, I can easily say this is Apple’s best overall product in years. It’s amazing.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2017-11-09, 20:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
So after 5 days with this device, I can easily say this is Apple’s best overall product in years. It’s amazing.
I think I agree with you. It's pretty amazing.
Eugene
careful with axes

2017-11-11, 00:58

I’m surprised at how okay I am with the Home dash. FaceID is way better than TouchId in almost every aspect, especially for active types trying to unlock their phones with sweaty fingers. I can cover my face up past my nose and FaceID still recognizes me. I can wear sunglasses and a cycling helmet and FaceID works every time.

The only major thing that needs to change is the control center gesture.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2017-11-13, 09:35

One thing I've noticed is that my trucks CarPlay setup is much more responsive with my X vs 7 Plus. I assume it's phone-based, but I'm not fully sure.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
El Gallo
Formerly “MumboJumbo”

2017-11-25, 11:15

I returned my iPhone X 256 GB yesterday unopened. For me Reachability and Control Panel are big features that I use dozens of times a day. I might consider the iPhone SE2 when it comes out. I'm very much a use the phone with one hand as much as possible person. Reachability added extra steps when changing between who you are texting for example but worked with the trade off of a larger screen.

Like a lot of folks, I have adopted the "pinkie on the bottom" approach to maximize thumb travel. With any finger on the bottom of the phone with the iPhone X, I just didn't have any room to activate Reachability. I could of course hold it with my other hand and swipe down but that was pointless. It feels like an afterthought and doesn't work. When you combine the two, Reachability plus bringing Control Panel down from the top right, it works in theory but again if I had my pinkie under the phone there simply wasn't room to downward swipe. I just can't imagine not being able to use Reachability properly on the phone. I mean I even use it on the home screen to activate apps that are higher up on the screen and this would be even more true on the stretched iPhone X screen.

I'm hoping that by next year Apple will have figured out something different. It is clear this year that the phone wasn't really designed with Reachability as a thought and that it was added afterwards and is not enabled by default. I'd even argue that the means of activating it feels hidden. Likewise the Control Panel from the top right just feels wrong.

I'm hoping like Apple will have another go and rethink some of the decisions they made so far with iOS 11 on iPhone X and much like how they made improvements to Watch OS, they will find some means of improving the interactions on the same hardware.

I'll be happy to give it a look next year and in the meantime I am more than happy with my iPhone 7.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2017-12-13, 10:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
The actual FaceID unlock is slower, but in real world usage it’s been faster because by the time I realize FacedID is requesting an unlock, it’s already done it. This was most apparent when Safari wanted to access my keychain. Before I’d have to physically place my thumb on the home button, but now the FaceID throbber just appears in the middle,of the screen and unlocks the feature before you even realize.
Fully disagree. In my experience the only time FaceID is faster is on the home screen when checking notifications. When I bring up an app that requires authentication the FaceID interface takes noticeably longer to detect and unlock than sliding my finger to the home button and activating the 2nd gen TouchID. It isn't even close in my book.

Additionally, doesn't work when you're rolled over on your side in bed. Either it's too close to your face, part of your face is obscured, or the angle is wrong. I've stopped trying to even use FaceID in bed, I just tap through to the password prompt and put that in. FaceID doesn't work in bright sunlight - not a big deal but it seems to happen to me a lot, maybe cause I live in the south.

I have a bit of a problem with the new keyboard, too. At least with the placement of the transcription microphone button (I don't know what it is actually called). I find myself inadvertently activating transcription all the time, maybe my hand is too big / clumsy. Wish I could just move that back to the keyboard like it used to be...

Other thoughts:
  • Gesture to bring up the app switcher is pretty finicky.
  • Apps still not updated for the long screen.
  • I think it's time to reassess the placement of the "back" button that is commonly found in the top left corner of the screen.

Ultimately I guess these are just some of the costs of a Gen 1 device. I expect iOS will go through some growing pains to adapt to this new form factor, next year.

EDIT: Forgot. It is all worth it to the able to unlock the phone without a passcode when running and sweaty.

User formally known as Sh0eWax

Last edited by Maciej : 2017-12-13 at 10:53.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2017-12-14, 03:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
I think it's time to reassess the placement of the "back" button that is commonly found in the top left corner of the screen.
That's mostly on the way out in favor of a left edge swipe gesture, no?

There's other examples, like an OK/Done button in the top right, or Control Center being in the very top right next to the notch… those are pretty ugh-y, I'm guessing. (I don't have a X. I do, however, have a 6S and 8 and find it hard enough on those to reach the top.)