User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 122 of 222 First Previous 118 119 120 121 [122] 123 124 125 126  Next Last Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-04-21, 16:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
When asked what it feels like to be the best guitarist alive, Eric Clapton said, "I don't know. Ask Prince."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

Solo beginning at 3:27 is amazing

And I wept.

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2016-04-23, 10:02

Prince - Live at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta (his Final show) Audio only

Solo, just Mic and Piano.
  • Not sure how long this Bootleg will stay online...
  • Comments suggest a few free links to convert to MP3 and d/l
  • For 'hidden phone in the crowd', the audio is pretty impressive
  • Prince's performance is, of course, epic

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2016-04-23 at 10:15.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-05-13, 00:01

Anyone want to sign up for Tinder?

I know this could have happened if they met at a bar or party, but this "couple" wouldn't have met without the app. I don't see it as a black eye for Tinder, but I'll bookmark this article for my kids.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2016-05-13, 06:26

I don' think that's a black eye for Tinder either. This creep could have met her at a bar and done the same thing. Some people are just not right for this world.

Some people are just crazy and this dude would have done this to someone else if he didn't do it to her.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-06-15, 22:29

Wow, Orlando can't catch a break.

I feel real bad for that family. It's not even like they should have expected this or have it even cross their minds. I mean, there was a video recently of Godzilla walking on a golf course, but this family was at a Disney resort. Not exactly something you would expect to see there.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Dr. Bobsky

2016-06-16, 01:34

I don't know... Having grown up in the south and having a natural well established fear of dark waters there, I would have expected a peaceful artificial lake to be teeming with alligators and poisonous snakes, especially at night. But I grew up where this is true, and in Nebraska, where the family originated, this isn't true. It is awful that this happened to this family, but I can quickly recall incidents where children were pulled into the surf by a tiger shark or hammerhead or were bitten by a snake while cavorting too closely to a lake in the dark. So it isn't shocking so much as sad ...
Matsu
Veteran Member

2016-06-16, 04:11

I blame reptilian fundamentalists.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2016-06-16, 05:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Christina Grimmie was also murdered there last Friday. The city's having a really rough week.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2016-06-16, 08:30

My late father told stories of golfing in Florida and having seen alligators coming out of the water traps, and one time having seen another golfer club one over the head with a driver. I never knew if he was just spinning a yarn.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Dr. Bobsky

2016-06-16, 12:09

No. Not a yarn. The worst thing about golfing in the south, well aside from the mosquitoes the size of vw bugs, is the fact that the female alligators collect the lost golf balls because they are a similar size and color to their eggs. Beware the pile of golf balls in the south, it means there's a momma gator near by and you are eyeing up her young.

Last edited by Dr. Bobsky : 2016-06-16 at 14:57.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2016-06-16, 13:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
Beware the pile of golf balls in the south, it means theirs a momma gator near by and you are eyeing up her young.
That is good to know.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-06-16, 21:14

Yeah, my mom used to live in Charleston SC for a while and had a pond in her back yard. There was always a gator in there waiting for the locals humans to feed it their offering of pet dog. Fortunately my mom never lost her's but I can't say that for all of the neighbors.

The wildlife people would catch them and relocate, but the animals always find a way.

Florida and golf courses, your dad wasn't entirely lying for sure. They are common there because of the relatively low human population. Of course, that depends on the course and if they keep them cleared and such.

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2016-06-20, 10:22

Anton Yelchin, the new Mr. Chekhov joins the 27 club in freak death.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2016-06-21, 13:42

One would think these guys would have tried to travel in a less conspicuous vehicle.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-06-23, 10:07

If you are a parent, please take this to heart.

I never left one of my kids in the car, but I did get halfway to work with my daughter, once.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-06-28, 23:41

2016 continues being the biggest bastard of a year I've ever known, just taking all the good, cool people, left and right.

It got two today: legendary Tennessee Lady Vols coach Pat Summitt (what a career and presence) and, I just learned, Elvis Presley's original guitarist Scotty Moore. One of the architects (and one of my guitar heroes). Rock 'n' roll owes a huge debt to his sound/playing. Those early Sun Records releases from Elvis (and the RCA stuff that followed) wouldn't sound the same - or as good - without Moore's involvement/contributions.

If you've heard those mid-late 50's Elvis songs (and who hasn't?), all those electric guitar licks, solos, etc. you're hearing is Scotty Moore. Some of those hooks and parts he played are as memorable and recognizable as the vocals/lyrics.

RIP, Scotty.

1955 Memphis ear candy.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2016-06-30, 01:19

Ralph Stanley too :-(
Dave
Ninja Editor

2016-06-30, 11:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
If you are a parent, please take this to heart.

I never left one of my kids in the car, but I did get halfway to work with my daughter, once.
Seems like a lot of these tragedies wouldn't happen if child seats weren't designed for the back seat. "Out of sight, out of mind" and whatnot.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-06-30, 12:25

Out of sight, out of mind is certainly true. More importantly, we live in an increasingly distracted world. Many parents are so consumed with social media, they have no idea what else is going on around them.

Perhaps we should all put the cell phones down and smell the roses.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-07-19, 11:55

I'm so proud.

Few headlines capture the essence of Chattanooa 2016 quite like this one. If only she'd been sucking dick for some food stamps (or cigarette money) at the same time, it would be complete and hit all the marks. But hey, who says she wasn't? She looks like an enterprising go-getter.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-07-19, 13:26

Wow, that is a special kind of place you live in.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-07-19, 13:31

Who hired that to babysit?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-07-19, 13:41

No telling. Some real lowlifes, to be sure.

Poor kid, through zero fault of his own, winds up with this bunch. Sad. And pisses me off. Did you read his injuries?!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-07-21, 09:31

$5 says these two are related to the above waste...

Naked couple caught riding stolen lawnmower. Already beats the George Jones story.

I guess the only real shocking thing about this story is that it isn't out of Florida.

Quote:
Responding to a 911 call about a naked man driving an orange lawn mower with a nude woman in his lap*, Jasper County Sheriff’s Office deputies encountered Hopper and Webster in front of a friend's residence. The riding lawn mower was parked outside the home.

During questioning, Hopper and Webster admitted to the naked mower ride [points for honor/dignity]. The suspects claimed that they had been skinny dipping at nearby Turkey Creek when their clothes were stolen by a man who emerged from the adjacent woods. [ah, the ol' "random stranger comes out of the woods, steals our clothes and makes us improvise a way home via pilfered lawn equipment" chestnut; heard that one at least a dozen times]

Instead of walking home nude, the duo said they opted to drive away on a mower [yes, way less conspicuous...two naked people on a bright orange mower would be quite a stealthy approach] they claimed to have found in the woods.
That happens all the time. It probably belonged to the alleged clothes thief, right?

Zero-turn, zero-class.

*I guess that's the top bag loader/feed?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-07-21, 09:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Did you read his injuries?!
These bastards are lucky I'm not the judge, because, as part of her punishment, I'd have her chucked out a two-story window onto a concrete driveway. You know, so she understands.

Quote:
*I guess that's the top bag loader/feed?
Her name is Hopper!?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-08-01, 15:04

Phoenix couple abandons toddler son to play Pokemon GO.

As I've said before, I have to get a license or permit to simply go fishing or to just add on to my deck or patio (pay fees, submit plans, have inspectors come out, etc.). But any two fuckheads can remove their pants, knock it out and have a kid without displaying/proving an ounce of mental, emotional, financial, moral, etc. standing or ability to do so. Never fails to blow my mind how the most important thing one can do is the most easily-accomplished by any half-brain dolts with a halfway working pecker/cooter. It's almost a cruel joke, when you think about it.

And normally I couldn't care less. But in these cases, I always know that this is the kid, 15 or so years from now, who accosts me the grocery store parking lot at 11pm with his slack-jawed, spray-paint-around-the-mouth buddies. So, yeah...I get a little aggravated. With parents this self-centered and oblivious, the kid is probably in for a bit of a rough go.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2016-08-01, 16:29

Quote:
And normally I couldn't care less. But in these cases, I always know that this is the kid, 15 or so years from now, who accosts me the grocery store parking lot at 11pm with his slack-jawed, spray-paint-around-the-mouth buddies. So, yeah...I get a little aggravated. With parents this self-centered and oblivious, the kid is probably in for a bit of a rough go.
That's what I carry this stuff for. Woe on any random thug that tries to come at me without a gun.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2016-08-02, 13:17

Apparently one of the new (2008) residential high rises in San Fransisco is slowly falling over.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/08/01...g-tilting.html

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-08-02, 13:41

Contract bidding.

BTW, you may want to find/link another source that will go over better here*. Might I suggest the BBC or NPR? Or you might get lucky and find a Daily Show segment about it.

Yeah, I went there.

*12+ years of experience/observation has taught me a few things...
Dave
Ninja Editor

2016-08-02, 16:52

Quote:
BTW, you may want to find/link another source that will go over better here*. Might I suggest the BBC or NPR? Or you might get lucky and find a Daily Show segment about it.
Really? People hate Fox News so much they won't even read a simple, non-political report? I didn't realize we were so closed-minded.