User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Future MacBook Pro/Air to have Retina Display?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Future MacBook Pro/Air to have Retina Display?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2012-03-08, 13:17

What do you think? Would Apple keep the Retina Display only for the iPad and iPhone lines?
A MBP or MBA might kill iPad sales.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2012-03-08, 13:31

I fail to understand that line of thinking. People don't buy iPads because laptops aren't sufficiently high-resolution, nor because "they're good enough for what they cost".
worksafe

2012-03-08, 14:14

The future will see a MacBook Pro with a iPad (whatever) attached to it as a screen and will be detachable so that you can use it only as a iPad.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2012-03-08, 14:18

I think its more likely that you'll more people with an iPad and wireless keyboard for serious work, than having the iPad as an attachment to a MBP like device.

As for the MBP itself getting a higher resolution screen, hard to say. It would be nice to see a MBP with resolution higher than 1920x1080, but I don't know of many notebooks that do, and it might push the price up too much.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2012-03-08, 14:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by worksafe View Post
The future will see a MacBook Pro with a iPad (whatever) attached to it as a screen and will be detachable so that you can use it only as a iPad.
Nah. That's awkward, involves way too many fragile mechanical parts, and keeps Apple from selling you two pieces of hardware.

They never did the convertible (laptop/tablet) thing; they're not gonna start now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I think its more likely that you'll more people with an iPad and wireless keyboard for serious work, than having the iPad as an attachment to a MBP like device.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worksafe View Post
As for the MBP itself getting a higher resolution screen, hard to say. It would be nice to see a MBP with resolution higher than 1920x1080, but I don't know of many notebooks that do, and it might push the price up too much.
OS X HiDPI is coming, apparently with 2880x1800 for the 15-inch MBP. Which would be a shame, since that's actually a step down from my real 1680x1050.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-03-08, 15:07

Macbook Pro sales = completely unrelated to iPad sales
Macbook sales = likely only weak tie-in with iPad sales
Macbook Air sales = probably some significant overlap in potential buyers

In short, there would only be a risk if it were placed in a Macbook Air, but even then it's the reverse argument. It would be more like "If Apple puts a Retina in an iPad, X% of people would buy that instead of a Retina-equipped Macbook Air." I don't think the Macbook Air will cut into iPad sales at all. Not more than a fraction of a percent at most.

As for hybrid laptop-with-iPad-as-screen... I can't see that happening. Doesn't make any sense. Way too many design problems / limitations (top-heavy, hinge issues, glass screen, two sets of brains, etc) and it doesn't solve a real-world problem with either laptops or iPads IMO. Also it would require a unified OS and I don't believe that will happen for a long time. The mobile devices will have to get a lot more powerful and flash storage more reliable and cheaper so that your iPad is just as powerful as a MBP, which right now it's not close. When an iPad with A9 processor has 8 cores, 500GB of storage, massive bandwidth for connections, then you could start wondering about real OS and device convergence where maybe everyone just has an iPad with a docking station and keyboard, and connections to drive a big monitor, etc. Until then, not.

For laptop users, except in shop floor / catalog and sales type situations, what will detaching the iPad do for users that toting a very thin, lightweight, Retina-equipeed (and more powerful) laptop won't? What to do with the other component... every time you're away from home or office and want to use your iPad you have to take the other half of your laptop and stuff it in a bag and carry it around? Nah.

No offense but that's about the most un-Apple-like idea I've heard. Sounds more like something Acer or Dell would try to do, as a gimmick to unseat the iPad and Mac laptop sales.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Eugene
careful with axes

2012-03-09, 20:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
OS X HiDPI is coming, apparently with 2880x1800 for the 15-inch MBP. Which would be a shame, since that's actually a step down from my real 1680x1050.
Are you implying 1440x900 HiDPI will look awful because nobody will have updated their bitmapped images for HiDPI mode?
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2012-03-09, 22:03

Retina MBAs and MBPs are inevitable. As are retina iMacs and Thunderbolt displays. There will come a day when Apple's entire product line sports a retina display. Frankly, this is an obvious prediction.

The current high-res 15" MBP debatably on the line of retina already.

Why is anyone concerned with iPads cutting into MacBook sales, or vice versa? I never hear anyone complaining that car sales cut in to truck sales. "Cannibalize" and "cut in to" are the the wrong ways to think about this. They are different devices with different use cases. It's that simple.

The detachable iPad is an awful, awful idea, but I hear it a lot. It's adding a lot of complexity to a device which is simple by design and is successful precisely because it is simple by design. iPads can connect to bluetooth keyboards for a reason.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2012-03-10 at 01:00.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2012-03-09, 23:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
The detachable iPad is an awful, awful idea, but I hear it a lot. It's adding a lot of complexity to a device which is simple by design and is successful precisely because it is simple by design. iPads can connect to bluetooth keyboards for a reason.
If we ever see such a thing, it'll just be an iPad which you can launch regular OSX on it, with a bluetooth mouse and keyboard. But with the convergence happening between the 2 OS... I don't think we'll see something like this. I guess in a distant future we could see a development solution on an "iOS" device.

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
Eugene
careful with axes

2012-03-10, 01:04

I thought the attachable keyboard+trackpad+battery was an awful idea at first, but then I tried the Transformer Prime... It works surprisingly well. Very usable for when you need it, and and all it requires is a dock connector on the side.

The standalone Transformer Prime looks pretty much just like an iPad...no other design changes should be necessary to accommodate such an accessory...
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2012-03-10, 01:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Are you implying 1440x900 HiDPI will look awful because nobody will have updated their bitmapped images for HiDPI mode?
I think he's talking about the reduction in screen real estate. 2880x1800 will have everything sized like a 1440x900 display, only sharper.

I agree--I hope they wait until 3360x2100 is feasible.
chucker

2012-03-10, 03:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
I don't follow.
Eugene
careful with axes

2012-03-10, 09:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by screensaver400 View Post
I think he's talking about the reduction in screen real estate. 2880x1800 will have everything sized like a 1440x900 display, only sharper.

I agree--I hope they wait until 3360x2100 is feasible.
Is HiDPI actually physical resolution dependent though? Will a 2880x1400 display be limited to a HiDPI scale of 1440x900 or will you be able to interpolate 1680x1050 or even 1920x1200 HiDPI?

Otherwise I don't see how they could cleanly market HiDPI when a 27" 5120x2880 display is not going to be in the cards for a couple of years.

EDIT: I guess the best solution would just be to offer a separate UI scale slider.

Last edited by Eugene : 2012-03-10 at 10:15.
chucker

2012-03-10, 11:17

HiDPI is fixed to a 2x ratio, just like on iOS, unlike the earlier 10.4 approach of having an arbitrary scale factor.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2012-03-10, 14:19

Quote:
HiDPI is fixed to a 2x ratio, just like on iOS, unlike the earlier 10.4 approach of having an arbitrary scale factor.
Does it have to be 2x? Wouldn't any integer multiple work?

Incidentally, every so often I turn on interface scaling — the "10.4 approach" — and it generally works pretty well. If I could figure out how to make it stick (you have to turn it on both "per app" and "per launch"), I might leave it on.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
chucker

2012-03-10, 14:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Like what? 3x? That's 4320x2700, then… even less likely.

If you mean non-integer multiple: no, not any more.

Quote:
Incidentally, every so often I turn on interface scaling — the "10.4 approach" — and it generally works pretty well. If I could figure out how to make it stick (you have to turn it on both "per app" and "per launch"), I might leave it on.
There's tons of visual glitches, and there have been for well over half a decade now, so they've clearly abandoned the approach in favor of the much more pragmatic iOS one.
Eugene
careful with axes

2012-03-10, 15:11

If visual glitches are a problem they could key the interface elements to a few fixed magnification levels.
Bonn89

2012-03-10, 23:21

Quote:
No, because scaling 1 pixel up to, say, 1.5 pixels, will look like shit, or be impossible.
wtd

2012-03-11, 01:00

The ivory tower (it's not that ivory tower, really) solution I'd to have vector-based UI elements, rather than bitmaps. It's possible this just doesn't play well with the rest of Apple's display software, though.
chucker

2012-03-11, 01:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtd View Post
The ivory tower (it's not that ivory tower, really) solution I'd to have vector-based UI elements, rather than bitmaps. It's possible this just doesn't play well with the rest of Apple's display software, though.
Some elements are vector-based — /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/Battery.menu/Contents/Resources contains most of the battery menu extra's icons in PDF form, for example.

However, vector-based UI artwork isn't just a lot of effort to create; it's also inherently flawed without hinting (which is even more effort). An icon that is pixel-perfectly rendered to particular dimensions will always win out.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2012-03-11, 21:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonn89 View Post
No, because scaling 1 pixel up to, say, 1.5 pixels, will look like shit, or be impossible.
1.5 isn't an integer.
Bonn89

2012-03-11, 21:18

Quote:
1.5 isn't an integer.
Derp, you're right.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-03-11, 21:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegatool View Post
If we ever see such a thing, it'll just be an iPad which you can launch regular OSX on it, with a bluetooth mouse and keyboard. But with the convergence happening between the 2 OS... I don't think we'll see something like this. I guess in a distant future we could see a development solution on an "iOS" device.
Surely the way iOS and OSX are going they will eventually merge into 1 OS?
Dave
Ninja Editor

2012-03-11, 21:23

Quote:
Some elements are vector-based — /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/Battery.menu/Contents/Resources contains most of the battery menu extra's icons in PDF form, for example.

However, vector-based UI artwork isn't just a lot of effort to create; it's also inherently flawed without hinting (which is even more effort). An icon that is pixel-perfectly rendered to particular dimensions will always win out.
What's wrong with storing the elements as vector art, then rendering (and caching) the correctly-sized bitmaps at run-time? Seems like it'd be somewhat straight forward for at least the system icons, and I'll bet that NSImage (or whatever) could be extended to include a vector-based representation that'd auto-update the bitmap whenever the system resolution and/or "scale" changes. We're talking about stuff like the cursor here, not 500MB Illustrator files.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
chucker

2012-03-11, 22:22

Quote:
What's wrong with storing the elements as vector art, then rendering (and caching) the correctly-sized bitmaps at run-time?
The OS can't guess how the artist intended them to look at a particular size.

Quote:
We're talking about stuff like the cursor here, not 500MB Illustrator files.
This isn't about performance at all.
Eugene
careful with axes

2012-03-12, 00:53

For HiDPI resolutions, an additional slider with UI scale keyed to 100-125-150-175-200% is the only way I could see this working at all. Yes it forces everyone to include additional bitmapped image files, but meh...

That means a 2880x1400 display is capable of UI scales equivalent to 1440x900, 1800x1125, 2160x1350 and 2520x1575 if needed.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2012-03-12, 01:42

Quote:
The OS can't guess how the artist intended them to look at a particular size.
The same as they do at other sizes, except with a different resolution? I suppose at some point the actual on-screen size would matter, but it seems like that'd be relatively straight-forward to handle by changing which image is used when the image size crosses some threshold.

chucker

2012-03-12, 02:05

You don't want icons to scale down entirely linearly. As less detail becomes available, certain features are focused on while others get discarded entirely. In some cases, you even want to change the perspective slightly to make it simpler.

As a very noticeable example, take the Screen Sharing icon, in /System/Library/CoreServices. At 16x16, it changes perspective to no longer be at a slight angle, so as to be much crisper, yet less authentic.
chucker

2012-03-18, 14:16

As luck would have it, Tim Bray just tweeted a link to an article that explains this in more detail. For the tl;dr folks among us, it provides plenty of visual examples. In a nut, the author agrees with my point: as icons scale down, you don't want to scale each of their respective elements down linearly, but rather increasingly focus on the most important ones. Lines become alined with the grid (and therefore less blurry with anti-aliasing applied), perspective gets simplified, and some elements get discarded altogether.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-03-18, 15:14

Quote:
As luck would have it, Tim Bray just tweeted a link to an article that explains this in more detail. For the tl;dr folks among us, it provides plenty of visual examples. In a nut, the author agrees with my point: as icons scale down, you don't want to scale each of their respective elements down linearly, but rather increasingly focus on the most important ones. Lines become alined with the grid (and therefore less blurry with anti-aliasing applied), perspective gets simplified, and some elements get discarded altogether.
Yup. A really clear example of this is the logo for Simple, one of Portland's most promising startups. Here it is at different sizes:

If they just scaled down their larger logo, all the intricacy would be lost and it'd just look like a blurry ring. So instead, they reduce the number of loops while still staying true to the same recognizable concept.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong