User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

AppleID issues? Erroneous address change email?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleID issues? Erroneous address change email?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2012-12-16, 22:49

Hey all, out shopping tonight, got an email that the "Shipping or billing address" on my AppleID account had been changed today.

Well, no. Not by me.

Immediate password reset went okay, then tried to login through appleid.apple.com to see what the address change was about.

Server timed out. Repeatedly.

Waited until I got home, tried it again, finally got through, and no address changes that I can see. Assuming at this point that the initial email was bogus, and the server issues were due to a lot of bogus emails going out.

Had to update my AppleID password on all my devices, so I know it did reset appropriately.

Any other reports of this type of shenanigans going on tonight?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-12-16, 23:04

Nothing here or that I've read about.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-12-16, 23:49

I haven't personally, but I've seen tons of spam of this sort lately. Not one for iTunes/Apple though. I'll keep looking out for it and let you know if I see one.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Graphguy
can't type

2012-12-17, 02:57

You sure the email was from Apple?

Cause it kinda sounds like a fishing email. They make a fake "shipping address has been changed" email, you click the link to check it out, and presto, they have your password...
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2012-12-17, 04:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphguy View Post
You sure the email was from Apple?

Cause it kinda sounds like a fishing email. They make a fake "shipping address has been changed" email, you click the link to check it out, and presto, they have your password...
Checked the URL before following, obviously, as well as the raw headers, and it *did* change the password on Apple's system. A fake page could have passed it through I suppose but everything looks correct.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-12-17, 12:33

I have received a couple emails in the last few months in regard to changes to my apple account or calls to AppleCare.... none of which i did. I have called Apple to inquire about it and they know nothing about any contact with them using my account or any changes yet the emails were sent out.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2012-12-17, 14:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
I have received a couple emails in the last few months in regard to changes to my apple account or calls to AppleCare.... none of which i did. I have called Apple to inquire about it and they know nothing about any contact with them using my account or any changes yet the emails were sent out.

Yeah, I periodically get "Click here to reset your password" emails from Apple regarding one of my AppleIDs (first one from years ago, the name is *very* common), which just tells me someone (maliciously or accidentally) tried to log into my account and failed. Never really been concerned about those.

This is the first one where it indicated that information had been changed. But... all looks good. Never set up a credit card on this one (iCloud only, not iTunes store, that's a separate account), so I feel good about that.

Going to chalk it up to an error on Apple's part at this point.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-12-17, 15:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Yeah, I periodically get "Click here to reset your password" emails from Apple regarding one of my AppleIDs (first one from years ago, the name is *very* common), which just tells me someone (maliciously or accidentally) tried to log into my account and failed. Never really been concerned about those.

This is the first one where it indicated that information had been changed. But... all looks good. Never set up a credit card on this one (iCloud only, not iTunes store, that's a separate account), so I feel good about that.

Going to chalk it up to an error on Apple's part at this point.
Well... I've gotten those but the last one I got was an AppleCare support survey in response to an AppleCare call I supposedly made complete with product info and claim # and my info. I called AppleCare and told them I never made a call or support claim so why did I receive the survey and a claim # and they had no idea nor any record of the claim #. Weird.