MC: 1.9 - C'mon baby, take a chance with us

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: 1.9 - C'mon baby, take a chance with us
Page 15 of 16 First Previous 11 12 13 14 [15] 16  Next Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-03-29, 20:55

Ahhh... I thought we would build a really big bridge to the other islands. I was thinking about a covered railway and everything.

Would you like me or Brad to break the new exit portals and repair the land? Seems like a good plan to me. Same for the pillars.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-03-29, 23:16

Wait til Grey goes back in there, then spawn 20 dragons for him. You know, get it over with.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-03-29, 23:45

After god-only-knows how much time hunting through the end, look what Grey and I found!

Now I understand, Turtle, why you mentioned regularly mapping the end. Boy was that a doozy. Island after island after island of nearly indistinguishable terrain. I'll strike that one off my bucket list, thankyouverymuch.

PS. No need to break the portals now.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2016-03-30, 00:30

It was fun.

The End is huge, obviously, and once you find something, just be prepared to jump into the abyss, because you'll never find your way back.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2016-03-30, 00:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Would you like me or Brad to break the new exit portals and repair the land? Seems like a good plan to me. Same for the pillars.
No, thanks. None of that is necessary.

The dragon respawn is pretty fun, and 'resets' the pillars and the recharge crystals every time.
¡Damned!

2016-03-30, 01:05

Another interesting village leftover, right next to a new water monument:

~ -1300, 700 in the SW.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2016-03-30 at 08:54.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-03-31, 21:35

So I've added a rail in The End. It's heading past the XP farm. I was bored and heading to the largest of the cities Brad and 709 found. A public map of The End is coming.

Of course, 709 or anyone else can change the station as they see fit. I more made it work. Also, I've made the rail safe for travel, you won't fall into the abyss. Right now it just loops back to the initial station. However, there are currently two stops on the rail so you can get off and explore. Thankfully, the endermen respect the rail and glass and don't spawn on them.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-03-31, 23:29

So I was bored and wanted to do something in here for a while tonight. The rail in The End now goes all the way to the larger building/fort found in The End. Please do not pilfer the loot unless you originally found it and want it. This way others can see the fort as it stands.

I figure we can make the rail bigger and go where we want in The End. I'm planning to build on a plot of land to call my own in here for fun.

Also, I noticed they have already released 1.9.2 so it might be worth upgrading though I haven't looked at the specifics of the upgrades at all yet.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-04-01, 00:10

Quote:
So I was bored and wanted to do something in here for a while tonight. The rail in The End now goes all the way to the larger building/fort found in The End.
I haven't seen this yet but I can only imagine the undertaking.

Quote:
Also, I noticed they have already released 1.9.2 so it might be worth upgrading though I haven't looked at the specifics of the upgrades at all yet.
Done! Feel free to update your clients.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-04-01, 00:31

Also WOW the new reality vision goggles are kind of super amazing.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-04-03, 18:19

Just had a quick look at The End map, and it appears the End Fortresses are in the neighborhood of 5000 blocks apart.

That's a lot of very dangerous exploring for what amounts to nothing in the chests. I mean, wings that do nothing? Dragon bobbleheads that do nothing? Armor we already have? The only thing out there worth the hunt are End Rods, and I whipped up a chest of those by mowing down a purple forrest and killing some Blaze. Purple block can be crafted from purple trees; endstone bricks can be crafted from, well, endstone.

I don't get it.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-04-03, 18:39

I thought the End Rods only came from those fortresses. Guess I need to learn more. I did figure out of the purple block thing by cooking the berries. I even built a library in The End because of it.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-04-04, 09:59

Well, I suppose there's the challenge of conquering a fortress, but who wants to risk that? You die out there and all your crap is good and gone (unless you breadcrumb your way out in the first place). I tried that in survival on the home server and died every time. Finally gave up after being unable to relocate the fortress. There's just nothing compelling about it. Honestly, I thought the End Rods would be a pretty powerful draw to conquer a fortress, but they're so easy to make, there's just no point.

Lé sigh

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
¡Damned!

2016-04-04, 15:22

Ken is just afraid of The End.

Last time we were in there he was cowering behind an obsidian pillar while I valiantly fought off the Enderdragon. I may have caught him weeping.

It's OK, Ken. Cave Spiders still give me the heebie jeebies.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-04-04, 17:12

Ken should love this story.

Soooo.... I found myself wanting to build the Soviet N1 rocket for the museum, but I kept struggling on the shape of it. The thing is cone-like, but it's not a single cone. On top of that, there are no obvious tools or charts online (like for circles) for making a slice of a cone, aka a conical frustum.

Being a programmer at heart, I started doodling to think of a good way to write a formula that would spit out Minecraft-friendly coordinates for building such a shape.

After noodling on it for a few minutes, I decided to start over and significantly simplify my approach. If anyone cares to see it, here she is: https://gist.github.com/infinitewarp...9ef574f438d9b3

Plugging in some numbers, the midsection of the N1 is going to look something like this:
Code:
./conical.py 14 9 7 layer 1: ··XXXXX·· ·XX···XX· XX·····XX X·······X X·······X X·······X XX·····XX ·XX···XX· ··XXXXX·· layer 2: ···XXX··· ·XX···XX· ·X·····X· X·······X X·······X X·······X ·X·····X· ·XX···XX· ···XXX··· layer 3: ···XXX··· ·XX···XX· ·X·····X· X·······X X·······X X·······X ·X·····X· ·XX···XX· ···XXX··· layer 4: ···XXX··· ·XX···XX· ·X·····X· X·······X X·······X X·······X ·X·····X· ·XX···XX· ···XXX··· layer 5: ···XXX··· ··X···X·· ·X·····X· X·······X X·······X X·······X ·X·····X· ··X···X·· ···XXX··· layer 6: ····X···· ··XX·XX·· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· X·······X ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ··XX·XX·· ····X···· layer 7: ····X···· ··XX·XX·· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· X·······X ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ··XX·XX·· ····X···· layer 8: ········· ··XXXXX·· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ··XXXXX·· ········· layer 9: ········· ··XXXXX·· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ··XXXXX·· ········· layer 10: ········· ··XXXXX·· ·XX···XX· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ·XX···XX· ··XXXXX·· ········· layer 11: ········· ··XXXXX·· ·XX···XX· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ·XX···XX· ··XXXXX·· ········· layer 12: ········· ··XXXXX·· ·XX···XX· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ·XX···XX· ··XXXXX·· ········· layer 13: ········· ···XXX··· ··X···X·· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ··X···X·· ···XXX··· ········· layer 14: ········· ···XXX··· ··X···X·· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ·X·····X· ··X···X·· ···XXX··· ·········

which works out to be this:

Mathmatical!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2016-04-04, 18:10

LOL! Pretty much 3 of those connected by iron fence, and we got ourselves an N1.
¡Damned!

2016-04-04, 19:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
The thing is cone-like, but it's not a single cone. On top of that, there are no obvious tools or charts online (like for circles) for making a slice of a cone, aka a conical frustum.
There kind've is. It's not exactly right for the N1, but close. If you click on 'dome' and increase the height (while keeping the depth and width the same value) it roughly works. I'd exaggerate some values and keep a slice off the top and bottom, but then again I'm not A Beautiful Mind with scraps of handwritten maths all over my workbench, ready to envelope-cut them bitches if they don't compute.

http://oranj.io/blog/VoxelSphereGenerator. It's dated, but I like it still.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2016-04-06, 21:23

I'm doing some minor landscaping to the main island in The End (basically making it a bit more fight-friendly), and also putting in a simple walkway to get to the ring of whatever the weird portals are called that transport you to other islands. Should be quick.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-04-07, 12:43

I've noticed that death spawns us in the water kind of northwest of the guest houses. It seams the new seed moved spawn over the lake. It's a rather rude treatment!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-04-07, 12:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
LOL! Pretty much 3 of those connected by iron fence, and we got ourselves an N1.
But, it needs to explode if you look at it wrong.

¡Damned!

2016-04-07, 22:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I'm doing some minor landscaping to the main island in The End (basically making it a bit more fight-friendly), and also putting in a simple walkway to get to the ring of whatever the weird portals are called that transport you to other islands. Should be quick.
I screwed myself, as usual, by not sticking to the easy plan. It'll take a bit more time, but it'll be much nicer. Battle Island™
Dr. Bobsky

2016-04-08, 08:34

It's good to see python still being used to generate the shapes of minecraft creations... I wonder if the perlin noise generator I wrote for the sky ranch still produces reasonable approximations of the surface...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-04-08, 09:58

Happy now, Rowdy?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-04-08, 10:37

oooooh.. Do they attack?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-04-08, 10:54

Polar bears?

Please, don't anyone tell Grey. He has work to do!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-04-08, 11:16

Exciting! Hopefully this is the first of more to come.

Does this mean it's time to start a 1.10 thread?

https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/718368993015414784
Quote:
@jeb_ What disposition do they have? Aggressive or Neutral?
@Zeffiesmc Kind of a little of everything. Cubs are peaceful, adults are neutral unless there is a cub nearby
¡Damned!

2016-04-09, 11:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Please, don't anyone tell Grey. He has work to do!
That 'little' End project is wrapped up, so I'm back to the Museum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Exciting! Hopefully this is the first of more to come.
There's been a few others in the last week or so too, most interesting (to me) is some sort of magma block in the Nether that's hot to the touch. Hopefully it won't entail a Nether wipe? Plz no.

So it goes.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2016-04-10, 01:28

Yeeeeeeeeeeessss
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-04-10, 23:26

I know someone whose Museum project has taken yet another backseat!
¡Damned!

2016-04-11, 12:07

Southlantis v.2.0?:

Not too close, not too far, and directly across the sea from the world-trim line. Could be a suitable replacement if it's up to Drew's standards.

There's a rail being built, but if you want to check it sooner the center glass is in and it's ~5 min run.

So it goes.