User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iChat AV & WinD'OH!s (insert forehead slapping)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iChat AV & WinD'OH!s (insert forehead slapping)
zsummers
Avast!

2005-10-07, 13:42

So I searched the site, and I didn't find anything on these questions:

1.) can/does iChat AV video-chat work with WinD'Oh!s machines equipped with a web-cam? if so... is there anything that needs to be done on either end to make it work?

2.) can/does iChat AV video-chat work with WinD'Oh!s machines that are NOT equipped with a web-cam (that is, so someone could see me, even if I couldn't see them)?

I bought my iSight to talk w/ my long-distance girlfriend who has a mac, and everything works AWESOME (I absolutely love it). But I'm interested in at least letting family members who haven't switched yet to see me (parents are far away, as well as bros).

If anyone knows a service we can use (yahoo messenger or something), that would be great.

Thanks.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-10-07, 14:49

I asked this question a while back and it looks like Trillian works for this. My wife is just using MSN Messenger on her PC, so I haven't tried it. If it works for you, please post back and let us know.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-10-07, 15:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsummers
So I searched the site, and I didn't find anything on these questions:

1.) can/does iChat AV video-chat work with WinD'Oh!s machines equipped with a web-cam? if so... is there anything that needs to be done on either end to make it work?
Yes. The Windows machine needs to run AIM 5.9 or newer or Trillian 3.0 Pro or newer.

Quote:
2.) can/does iChat AV video-chat work with WinD'Oh!s machines that are NOT equipped with a web-cam (that is, so someone could see me, even if I couldn't see them)?
I'm pretty sure (but not positive) the answer is no. AFAIK, the implementation that AIM has licensed to Apple only allows for two-way video+audio. It doesn't allow for one-way video, nor two-way audio, nor one-way audio.

Quote:
I bought my iSight to talk w/ my long-distance girlfriend who has a mac, and everything works AWESOME (I absolutely love it). But I'm interested in at least letting family members who haven't switched yet to see me (parents are far away, as well as bros).
You can always go for a website solution, whereas you run a web server locally that streams the webcam image using Flash or similar. There's several tools for OS X that do just that. No need for iChat in this case if it's really supposed to be just passive like that.

For voice, you can then use Skype, which is a lot more universal than iChat. Mac/PC voice chat with Skype is excellent.

Quote:
If anyone knows a service we can use (yahoo messenger or something), that would be great.
Yahoo! Messenger's Mac client allows for sending and receiving video (including one-way), but I've found its quality to be very sub-par, though acceptable. Not sure how well (if at all) it works with an iSight. Voice is not possible in the Mac version.

So another possible setup is to use Yahoo for sending your video in addition to Skype for audio.
LatteCoffee

2005-10-07, 15:08

They need to use AIM if they want to cam with you on ichat. This is a Support page for AIM VIDEO . Be sure they have the latest version and they download this file
LatteCoffee

2005-10-07, 15:11

You can also use Mercury Messenger (look for it on versiontracker.com). You can send/receive video through a msn messenger account.
rasmits
rams it

2005-10-07, 21:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatteCoffee
You can also use Mercury Messenger (look for it on versiontracker.com). You can send/receive video through a msn messenger account.
Please don't touch that piece of Java Tcl/Tk crap.
LatteCoffee

2005-10-08, 06:38

Quote:
Please don't touch that piece of Java Tcl/Tk crap.
Well, I use it on emergencies. It´s better than the real mac version. That last one is what the word stands for CR@P!!