User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iPod nano: black or white?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: Which iPod nano color do you like better, black or white?
Black 86 65.15%
White 46 34.85%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

iPod nano: black or white?
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-09-07, 16:27

What color do you like better?
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-09-07, 16:32

I've got my finger on the purchase button, but I can't decide on the damn color.

I voted for white, but it changes second to second.... :smokey:
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2005-09-07, 16:45

not sure till i see them in person...the white is very very nice...and maybe even better looking...but the black is new and sexy...so i bought that one...

g

didn't vote...i like them both...if i didn't already have a white 3 g in the house i might have gone with the white...

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-09-07, 16:46

That is hard.

It's my first iPod, so getting anything other than white just seems weird...

...but the black looks so cool.

I'll vote when I make up my mind (i.e., never).
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-09-07, 16:59

Is engraving it always a bad idea? I was thinking of putting some lyrics (from a song I love) on it.

I got the pistol
So I'll keep the pesos

Whatdoya think?
nmkramer

2005-09-07, 17:04

I think we should all heed the still-relevant words of the once-revered King of Pop:

"As long as you're my baby it don't matter if you're black or white."

This was, as you all know, before he went all psycho and started dangling babies from balconies...

I don't wanna go on a rant here but America's foreign policy makes about as much sense as Beowolf having sex with Robert Fulton at the first battle of Antetum. I mean when a neo-conservative defenstrates it's like Raskalnakov filibuster dioxymonohydrostinate.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-09-07, 17:11

The deed is done.

White, 2 GB, engraved.

I got the pistol
So I'll keep the pesos

Now I've got the nano
So I'll keep the music
Yeah, that seems fair
Axl

2005-09-07, 17:13

How 'bout this instead:

Holy hydro blunts
I get it crunked
Its aiiight if the bitch don't smoke
Then get her drunk

Last edited by Axl : 2005-09-07 at 17:14.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-09-07, 17:24

Oh yeah, $189, after taxes. Not bad!
flail

2005-09-07, 17:27

Well I like the black better, but there's no black dock, unless I'm missing it!
fox houn

2005-09-07, 23:23

black for sure
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-09-07, 23:39

umm, songs how about

"Ebony and Ivory living together in perfect harmony"

Good night now I hope that song doesn't stick in your head for too long.
omem

2005-09-07, 23:58

Since I have a white iPod, I'd buy the black iPod Nano, I mean, it's really a shame that they made a black iPod U2 because they kind of ruined it. If they released a black normal iPod now it would first look like an iPod U2 and that just ruins the cool factor, IMO, but for the nano it's cool, maybe because it's smaller...looks so good in black.

My Apple Gear: iMac G5 1.8GHz 17'' + iPod photo 40GB + iPod shuffle (green) + BlackBook 2.4GHz
Apple Communities: LiveJournal | Last.fm
My sites: Glassjaw.net | HeadAutomatica.net
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-09-08, 02:24

Hopefully you don't have to return that sucker 'tosh. It would be an awful shame if it broke. How are you going to sell it when the next iPod comes out?

Really though, engraving isn't a good idea.

Come waste your time with me
Mikester

2005-09-08, 03:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by omem
Since I have a white iPod, I'd buy the black iPod Nano, I mean, it's really a shame that they made a black iPod U2 because they kind of ruined it. If they released a black normal iPod now it would first look like an iPod U2 and that just ruins the cool factor, IMO, but for the nano it's cool, maybe because it's smaller...looks so good in black.
My prediction: black is the new white at Apple. 2005/6 will see:

1. U2 iPod discontinued
2. New black iPod as standard
3. New black iBook, iMac etc (Powerbooks and G5 will stay aluminium)
4. Potentially black shuffle

My dilemma: I want/need a nano. I have a shuffle which I can sell for about £20 if I'm lucky. I have an iBook, Mighty Mouse and keyboard, therefore my nano should be white, but ooooo! look at the black one!
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-09-08, 08:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikester
My prediction: black is the new white at Apple. 2005/6 will see:

1. U2 iPod discontinued
2. New black iPod as standard
3. New black iBook, iMac etc (Powerbooks and G5 will stay aluminium)
4. Potentially black shuffle

My dilemma: I want/need a nano. I have a shuffle which I can sell for about £20 if I'm lucky. I have an iBook, Mighty Mouse and keyboard, therefore my nano should be white, but ooooo! look at the black one!
We'll probably see more iPod products coming in either black or white, but I think the computers will go one way or the other. Maybe black since white/silver has been used for quite some time now?
Mikester

2005-09-08, 08:08

A black iBook would be awesome.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-09-08, 08:46

I like the white one, just because that's the way I'm used to seeing an iPod look. The black certainly looks nice, but it looks like some other gadget...not necessarily an iPod. A remote control or some sort of gaming gadget...

I don't know why that matters to me, but it does.

I think both will sell really well, I'm sure.

Get the white one, Chris. Would probably look better in those nano tubes (and other third-party cases and sleeves that I'm sure are on the way).

My sister was wanting a pink iPod mini for a couple of months now. She's got about 3GB of music and I finally convinced her that the nano was a much better thing (the color screen and all...she could have her kids' pics on there, etc.). Then she went poking around Apple's site last night, found those nano tubes and realized she could pretty much have a pink small iPod after all...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2005-09-08 at 08:47.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2005-09-08, 10:52

Good call, Paul. My g/f wants a pink mini, and will be very upset to see that it's gone... now I can just get her an engraved white nano and some nano tubes. I hadn't even thought of that!

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-09-08, 11:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Get the white one, Chris. Would probably look better in those nano tubes (and other third-party cases and sleeves that I'm sure are on the way).
I did Paul! I thought to myself the same things you did about the black nano looking sort of like some other kind of gadget. Also, since I'm an Apple Campus Rep, the white is just more associated with the iPod and Apple, so I went with what would represent Apple better (imho). While either would be acceptable as they are both beautiful Apple products, the white iPod nano just seems so much more....classic.

Something I did think about though was, "if black really does make things look smaller, then the nano would look even SMALLER than it is!."

Last edited by Messiahtosh : 2005-09-08 at 12:04.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-09-08, 15:36

I don't think "black is the new white" for Apple. I'd be extremely surprised if the 5G iPod was available only in black, in fact, I'm not positive black will even be an option. Apple's "white" is more iconic and recognizable than ever...why would they suddenly shift to the polar opposite when they're at the height of their popularity?

Plus, they'res something special about white. Tons of other MP3 players are black or silver, but white? That's "the iPod color."

And sorry, but I just can't see a black iMac...at all.

I wouldn't be at all surprised, however, if black was the new silver for Apple...as in, the next Power Mac and Powerbook will arrive in a nice glossy "piano black."

Maybe they'll shift to a three-teired line, with white for the consumer low-end, silver for the "prosumer" mid-range, and black for the professional high-end.

Also...does anybody else think that the iPod mini might not be gone forever? Obviously, an iPod shuffle, iPod nano, and iPod mini makes for a crowded line-up, but I've noticed some people think that the iPod mini might make a comeback as prices for the iPod nano fall. The mini's hard drives are growing...

It really does feel that Apple was premature in replacing the iPod mini with the flash-based iPod nano. They really won't be able to compete as well with the other "mini" hard-drive players when they all get 8, 10, 12 GB drives.

The models seem different enough that the market should be able to support both the flash-based iPod nano and a future mini-hard-drive-based iPod mini if there was only more price differentiation. I always figured any flash "iPod micro" would replace the iPod shuffle, not the iPod mini...

Maybe the iPod nano will eventually drop in price to replace the iPod shuffle, and we'll see a new iPod mini (OK, they'll have to call it "micro") to fill the $199-249 range.

If that was my plan, though, I'd have announced the iPod nano next January, at which time the 2 GB version could probably hit at $149 (with a black and white screen, if necessary). I'd keep the iPod minis around, because if I replaced them with the iPod nano and then announced them later...that'd look like a step back in some ways.

So I don't think that the iPod mini will make a comeback...but it is an interesting thought. I think the iPod nano and the iPod mini are different enough to coexist if the price was right.

It's just weird, how the iPod nano is somewhere in between the iPod shuffle and the iPod mini, but Apple is choosing to take a step backwards (in some ways) and replace the iPod mini with it, rather than wait until the time is right to take a giant leap forwards and replace the iPod shuffle with it.

But enough ranting...this isn't the Speculation forum, anyway.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2005-09-08, 15:37

The following products shipped on 09/09/2005.

Product # Product Description Qty Ext Price
__________ ________________________________________ ____ ________________

PA107LL/A iPod NANO 4G BLACK PERSONALIZED-USA 1 229.00
__________________________________________________ ____________________

g

personalized and shipped in one day...i think apple finally got some hardwared stocked up pre release

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough

Last edited by thegelding : 2005-09-08 at 15:38.
flail

2005-09-08, 15:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
It's just weird, how the iPod nano is somewhere in between the iPod shuffle and the iPod mini, but Apple is choosing to take a step backwards (in some ways) and replace the iPod mini with it, rather than wait until the time is right to take a giant leap forwards and replace the iPod shuffle with it.
1-2 year forecast
As flash gets cheaper, we'll high higher capacities offered no doubt and the nano will remain a smaller alternative. Probably the same price, just upped to 4 and 6 gig, then 6 and 10 gig, ect. The iPod shuffle and iPod lines will both have their place too, as the screenless shuffle is the only option Apple can offer in the sub-$100 market. The larger iPod proper will inevitable gain video capabilities and larger capacities 30 and 80 gig, or something close to that.

This would all make sense, but I'm forgetting that Apple will have to release something new and flashy as in a completely new product. (But the video iPod might do that just fine)
Mikester

2005-09-08, 16:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
I don't think "black is the new white" for Apple. I'd be extremely surprised if the 5G iPod was available only in black...
Sorry I wasn't being clear. I don't think black will ever be the only option - I think black and white options will soon be standard.

I think you might be right - black will be the new silver, but I think that means the aluminium line will go completely. Why have three lines? And Jobs has shown with the new iTunes UI that he's tired of the metal look.

I can totally see a black iMac - it's what Apple did in the '90s when they moved away from beige boxes to black - they've set a standard with silver and now they'll move on.

It's just my view - no-one has to be 'right' or 'wrong'; I'm just excited to see what the future brings.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-09-08, 16:19

Wait a year. I hope the Nano will replace the Shuffle at the low end (I never liked the Shuffle much) when the prices drop to closer to $99 and $149 US. The capacity will eventually be up around 10 gigs and the prices will drop. Such is the way of technology.

Give it a year and we'll have 4 and 6 gig models at $149 and $199, give it two years and they'll be up at 10 and 8 gigs for some astonishingly low prices.

Come waste your time with me
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-09-08, 17:59

While I don't mind black (though I did order the nano in white) I do know that Steve Jobs loves black. He loves it so much that he demanded the NeXT Cube to be black.

NeXT Cube
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2005-09-08, 19:17

While the black is beautiful, I'm getting a white one.

The way my iBook and Shuffle get light scratches just through normal use, I'll bet that they'd be a lot easier to see on a black nano. White it is - ...for now.
The Grim

2005-09-08, 22:43

I go with black because I already got white and my iMac is also white. I order today and should be here next week after my birthday. I am actually going to wait until after Sep 20, but today I open package my grandmom send for my birthday and get depressed (3 trousers and 3 panties). I find myself sitting in front my Mac and 3 min later complete my order with a Black 4G nano and a red armband (Not sure why I order armband)

Last edited by The Grim : 2005-09-08 at 22:44.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2005-09-08, 23:25

wait....what?
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-09-09, 02:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosferaDrew
wait....what?

My sentiments exactly.

I don't think our friend The Grim's native language is English.