AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

CMS for OS X server?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
CMS for OS X server?
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-01-25, 22:01

Are there any Content Management Systems (WordPress, Movable Type, etc.) that can be hosted using OS X's built-in web server? Cause that would be awesome.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-01-25, 22:07

Most should work. The usual requirements are Apache, PHP, and MySQL. So once you've installed those, everything should basically run. I've even seen specific instructions for some systems, though I don't remember which right now. But just follow the instructions for Linux/Unix, and you should be fine.
Batman

2006-01-25, 22:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
Are there any Content Management Systems (WordPress, Movable Type, etc.) that can be hosted using OS X's built-in web server? Cause that would be awesome.
Any of them could be hosted on the built in web server, but you would need to install MySQL and PHP first.

Edit : Darn - ghoti beat me to it
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2006-01-25, 22:09

Where do I get PHP and MySQL... and how hard are they to install?

Edit: Would this work?

http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/php/
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-01-25, 22:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman
Edit : Darn - ghoti beat me to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupid posting rules
You have included 23 images in your message. You are limited to using 10 images so please go back and correct the problem and then continue again.
Oh COME ON! What's wrong with a few smilies?
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-01-25, 22:13

Quote:
It's linked from php.net, so that's what I'd try. I haven't used PHP on my Mac, but I have a few things running in Perl and Python, that work exactly the same on my Linux server.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-01-25, 22:14

Quote:
Where do I get PHP and MySQL... and how hard are they to install?

Edit: Would this work?

http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/php/
I think the entropy PHP package is the best pre-built binary. You can get mySQL from mysql.com, pre-built for OS X.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-01-25, 22:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
I think the entropy PHP package is the best pre-built binary. You can get mySQL from mysql.com, pre-built for OS X.
x2

These are the same packages I use.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2006-01-25, 22:23

RIght, well on the Entropy version of PHP, it says

Quote:
All software is installed into a new directory /usr/local/php5 on your boot volume. If you ever want to get rid of the package, you only have to remove this directory and a few easily recognized lines in the /etc/httpd/httpd.conf Apache web server configuration file.
But I want to use (and have been using) the web server in the root directory. Will this still work?

You ask me for a hamburger.

Last edited by atomicbartbeans : 2006-01-25 at 22:30.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-01-25, 22:36

You mean Apache's document root? Sure, that won't change.
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-01-25, 22:42

The PHP install dir is completely unrelated to the web content dir.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2006-01-25, 22:50

Alright... PHP and MySQL are installed. Now, what's a good CMS for setting up a web site (both a blog and some static pages), and maybe a good PHP forum system, so visitors to my site could discuss stuff? WordPress seems nice for CMS, and PHPbb for a forum, but what else is out there?

Last edited by atomicbartbeans : 2006-01-25 at 23:26.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-01-25, 22:55

Do what I did; write your own.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-01-25, 22:57

Joomla! (formerly Mambo) is great, though it takes some time to get into. But the user interface is pretty good, and there's really nothing it can't do. If you just need a blog and a few static pages, you might be better served with a blog program, however.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-01-25, 23:00

We used Mambo for the AppleNova front end. It has a nice admin interface, but editing the templates wasn't fun. It entailed editing the "template" file as well as a bunch of modules because Mambo just doesn't (or didn't) do a good job keeping the view separate from the model/controller.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-01-25, 23:03

I have yet to see a CMS that doesn't require you to do that, and that isn't dog slow. MediaWiki stores its design in a database, and it's a nightmare. Do you know any good alternatives? And what about BradCMS9000 (since you brought it up)?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-01-25, 23:06

My own "CMS" is a bit of a mess, admittedly, and is completely custom-tailored to my own needs. No one else would want to use it, really.

PS. This topic is 13337!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-01-25, 23:17

Sounds like the thing I hacked up some time ago ... I know I won't find the time to make it decent, so I'm still looking for something as good as this one was going to be if it ever were finished ...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-01-25, 23:25

By the way, it's certainly possible for a CMS to store its design in a database and be fast. vBulletin, while not a CMS in the strictest sense, stores all of its templates (HUNDREDS of 'em) in the database and pieces them together on the fly.

atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2006-01-25, 23:27

Oh yeah... since I installed MySQL, do I need to do anything to secure the database, so people can't connect to it and mess everything up?
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-01-25, 23:49

MySQL requires a user and password for any sort of connection. Keep that safe, and disable remote connections, and you'll be fine.

Also, if you can get around the horid templating, Wordpress is an excellent CMS, if you use it as such.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2006-01-26, 00:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Do what I did; write your own.
Seconded!

Except mine used mod_perl, HTML::Mason, and PostgreSQL, all atop Apache. On Linux.

Great learning experience though, so I'd suggest it for the "growth" even if there are ready-made solutions available.

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2006-01-26, 00:59

I'm surprised no one has pointed this out yet:

http://opensourcecms.com/

They have test admin and user accounts on most major open source CMS, CRM and blog packages.

Usually, they will say to use a LAMP stack, but you should be able to use OSX just fine.

Don't forget to included mod_php in apache, or apache won't be able to use php. Unless the PHP installer already does that for you? I'm not sure.

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2006-01-26, 08:34

Hehe, I've just discovered PHPMyAdmin for configuring MySQL (which is how far I got last night). I was lost in terminal before trying to set privileges... this makes it a breeze!

Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2006-01-26, 11:46

Great timing. The Entropy packages are good, but if you are keen to learn how to build these yourself or want some custom stuff compiled into your PHP check out my latest blog posts - linky in the other thread.

Brad, hopefully I'll be getting back into PHP dev soon... I really am writing my blog in realtime as I build the packages on my own system.

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2006-01-26, 21:22

Wordpress is a good blogging package with decent support for static pages. I've spent about a day trying to get it figure out and I've come pretty far.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2006-01-28, 15:44

Alright, I've decided on WordPress for my CMS. The thing is, I already have a wordpress.com blog here. Any chance I can import the entries/comments/etc. to my new installation of WordPress?

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2006-01-28, 16:34

Quote:
Alright, I've decided on WordPress for my CMS. The thing is, I already have a wordpress.com blog here. Any chance I can import the entries/comments/etc. to my new installation of WordPress?
I'm sure it's doable. This page looks like it's got some good info.