Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Gift Etiquette

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Gift Etiquette
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-02-17, 23:05

So for my birthday, my parents got me a new stereo receiver. It's a really nice receiver, but the problem is, the one I currently have is more than sufficient for my needs. The new one has a built in HDMI switcher, but I already have an HDMI switcher which is much easier to use than the one in this new amp. From a power standpoint, the new one is marginally more powerful than the old one, but my speakers are pretty small; it's not like I'm pushing the amp I have. The reason they got me this amp is because my brother and I pooled our money to get my Dad a similar amp for christmas, and he really likes it. But it just doesn't make sense for me.

So I have this really nice, brand new amp, and I don't want it. From a stereo standpoint, it's no better or worse than what I have, and from a video standpoint, it would complicate my setup considerably.

What do I do? I can think of two options. I could tell my parents that it's a really nice amp (it is) but I really have no need for it, and the fact that it would complicate my system is actually a big drawback since two of my housemates can barely figure out how to use the current system. But this feels extremely ungrateful to me, and it's not like I want them to feel like I don't appreciate the thought.

I could sell it. But then that might make for an awkward situation when/if they visit me and ask "hey, where's the new amp?"

What's the polite thing to do in a situation like this? I've never once indicated to them that I was displeased with my current set up, and as long as they are going to spend what they did on a gift, I would much, much rather have a new TV or new speakers. (In fact, using this new amp with my current TV/speakers is pretty pointless, given how much more advanced the new amp is.) And to be perfectly honest, as college student, I'd rather just have the money. But again, I don't want to seem ungrateful, because I really am very grateful that my parents would think to spend so much on a birthday gift for me in the first place. But this gift, it just doesn't make sense. It's not any better than what I have from a technical standpoint and from a usability standpoint, it's worse.

So, yeah. What would you do?

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-02-17, 23:16

Keep it. Sell the old one. Use your old HDMI switcher to keep your set up simple. I mean, if you think your parents would take offense at your not keeping it.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-17, 23:19

Sell it. Keep the old one.

/dissenting opinion

Honestly, do you really think they'd notice? Are they audiophiles?

Don't make your experience suffer on account of trying to uphold some silly gift etiquette.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2011-02-17, 23:50

Just return/exchange it if you don't want it. Not that big of a deal.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-02-17, 23:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
Just return/exchange it if you don't want it. Not that big of a deal.
It was purchased online and I don't have a receipt.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-02-18, 01:05

What receiver is it? I'm curious.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-02-18, 01:28

I would consider telling them the situation and then sell it, or exchange it with the online retailer. The fact that you took the time to evaluate the differences and decide on your old one over the new one should satisfy them, and they should understand - we've all been in a similar situation.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-02-18, 01:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
What receiver is it? I'm curious.
Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000. The old one is an RX-V3000. The old one was actually higher up in the Yamaha hierarchy when it was new, but it's more than 10 years old now. When it was new it was the second best amp they offered, behind only the RX-Z1 which was twice as expensive.

The new RXA line is absolutely incredible. But it's total overkill for my 1080i LG TV and my teeny little Bose soundcubes. My Dad has his hooked up to a 62" Samsung plasma and a 7.2 Boston Acoustics sound system. (My Dad likes electronic toys quite a bit.) It's glorious to behold on his system, but it's pretty out of place in mine. The amp I have is currently the strongest link in the system. The weakest link is the TV.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2011-02-18 at 01:59.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-02-18, 01:57

Yeah, seeing what you list as your equipment, it is overkill. That's a lot of power for just some Bose cubes. I suppose the question is if it is worth utilizing it for newer equipment when you are ready to upgrade the TV and speakers (assuming you plan to upgrade speakers - if not, then this question is rather meaningless)?

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-02-18, 02:02

Quote:
Yeah, seeing what you list as your equipment, it is overkill. That's a lot of power for just some Bose cubes. I suppose the question is if it is worth utilizing it for newer equipment when you are ready to upgrade the TV and speakers (assuming you plan to upgrade speakers - if not, then this question is rather meaningless)?
Nope. I'm happy with the speakers. My intention was to hang onto this amp until it dies; I see no reason to upgrade it as long as I'm doing my video switching externally. I don't see how I am ever going to need more than 600 watts across 7 channels

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-02-18, 02:47

In that case, just tell them that you appreciate it, but it just isn't the right fit for you. It happens.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-02-18, 02:55

Quote:
In that case, just tell them that you appreciate it, but it just isn't the right fit for you. It happens.
That's a good way to put it. Thanks!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-02-18, 10:42

Do this then send a picture to them saying: "WTF were you thinking?!"