User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Aperture Light?
Sororca

Send a message via MSN to Sororca Send a message via Skype™ to Sororca 
2005-12-29, 23:40

Hi everybody.

I was just wondering if anybody know anything about Apple making a "light" version of Aperture for Amateurs?

Happy New Year to all.
Soeren
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-12-29, 23:48

iPhoto?
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-12-30, 00:09

I think he wants something a little meatier then iPhoto, see as iPhoto still lacks a lot in the photo editing department.

I was very close in picking up Aperture..then I saw the price...

It would not surprise me to see some of the features in Aperture to pop up in iPhoto 6 (iLife 06).

Jebus Google, just buy Apple already...
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-12-30, 01:02

I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple introducing something in between iPhoto and Aperture (distinguishing between "Express" and "Pro"), but I'm sure for now, they'll just keep adding features to iPhoto.
Reid

2005-12-30, 01:07

No. Aperture is basically iPhoto Pro. iPhoto does all the organizing and touch-up work that an amateur needs. For more comprehensive editing, there's Photoshop (or Photoshop Elements if you're on a budget). Apple won't compete there unless Adobe gives them a reason to.
chucker

2005-12-30, 01:10

Neither Photoshop nor Photoshop Elements are organization apps. They do not compete with iPhoto, nor Aperture.
Reid

2005-12-30, 01:42

My point exactly.
shatteringglass

2005-12-30, 02:10

I'm having a hard time imagining a product that fits in between iPhoto and Aperture. The gap between those two apps just doesn't seem that wide to me. I can see Apple tacking on a couple more features to iPhoto in the next rev, however, and possibly lowering Aperture's price a bit. $499 just doesn't seem worth it.

Last edited by shatteringglass : 2005-12-30 at 02:18.
Sororca

2005-12-30, 04:30

Hey guys, thanks for all the replys.

Aperture is a cool app, it's just too expensive (for my budget at least)
halo1982

2005-12-30, 20:22

$499 does seem to be a little pricey, especially when the other pro apps are usually $299 (soundtrack, motion, logic express)...even $249 for the academic version seems a bit much...the program really isn't that great.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2005-12-30, 21:04

Aperture Express maybe, but I think it's a bit light in version 1 for such a thing. It's so focussed on workflow/organizing rather than content creation or editing that the Express version would need to be rather crippled in just a few important areas. I think once Apple improves and expands on the versioning and editing features of Aperture, we could see an Express version along side the full Pro product.

I'm just hoping that some of the light table stuff makes it into iPhoto '06's Organize view.
shatteringglass

2005-12-31, 02:31

I was playing with Aperture at my local Apple Store, and I love the light table and magnifier features. It's much more useful than anything iPhoto has to offer. I hope this makes its way into the next version of iPhoto as well.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-12-31, 13:34

We shall see in two weeks if it does, and what other goodies we will see in iPhoto 6 and then Aperture 2.
Sororca

2006-01-01, 00:29

hey morningstarrising, are we sure to see a new version of iLife on the expo, or do we have to cross our fingers?
chucker

2006-01-01, 00:41

It seems a safe guess.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2006-01-01, 00:55

Yeah, it is not comfermed, but it seems like Apple is going to do update software annually. It makes sense, specially if you have new hardware every Macworld and you want to show off the new hardware. You'll need some new software to show your warez off. It's something Apple loves to do.

So iLife 06? iWork 06? Well what else are you going to put in those spanking new iBooks? Last year stuff? Not likely.

Jebus Google, just buy Apple already...
Sororca

2006-01-01, 01:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningstarrising
You'll need some new software to show your warez off. It's something Apple loves to do.
So iLife 06? iWork 06? Well what else are you going to put in those spanking new iBooks? Last year stuff? Not likely.
Super :smokey:
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-01-05, 18:08

Yeah...I don't really "get" Aperture. $499 for a photo organizing app? It seems useful to a select few (wedding photographers and the like), but not many other people.

Maybe for $299...

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong