AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Living in an Attic: Part Three!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Living in an Attic: Part Three!
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-09-15, 23:01

After a month without an update, I felt compelled to share my progress as of thus far..

First, PART ONE and PART TWO

Doing all the work ourselves (my dad and I, although an electrician visited us once) we have succeeded in putting down the floor, framing off the walls, putting up insulation, and now we are in the process of dry-walling. We have some semi-gloss sealer for the floor that we'll put on last after we get it really clean, and obviously paint and pictures. We will also re-seal the windows, and put lots of trim to cover up where stuff didn't quite match up. Trust me, a hundred year-old house has almost no right angles.

Now for the pics:

As you can see, framing around the dormer was hard, and dry-walling was pretty tough.

The skylights will be nice

Notice the expert cutting around the outlet

There are four can-lights in each corner of the ceiling. They are 6.5", so they'll put out a lot of light.

Progress in progress, and we finally have everything wired with modern wiring, lights, floors, insulation, and dry wall. Soon we'll enter the decorating phase, so any advice is helpful. I'd like to build a frame for a nice, low sitting memory-foam bed (since you spend almost half your life in bed) When I was in KC at Oggi, a modern furniture place, they had a really nice bed that sat a foot off the ground. I figure I could build a frame for a mattress, and then get an extended length double-size mattress.

As for the guard-rail around the steps, I ordered and received some very nice 1.5" connector pieces from Metropolitan Rail in Cambridge. The problem now is finding pipe for it (backwards, I know). It will look very nice and hold up well.

So, how do you like it so far? Comments or suggestions?
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-09-15, 23:07

eek. I hope you are a master at taping and plastering. Otherwise that dormer isn't gonna look so hot.

Good job otherwise. Are you beginning to realize how everything takes 10X longer as you had planned/hoped/imagined?
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-09-15, 23:10

Don't worry, it is a lot smoother than the picture makes it look. And yes, plaster and tape is one of my (new) specialties

Hopefully we'll be done by mid-october, about 2 1/2 months behind my initial guess.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-09-15, 23:13

The most important part (and somewhat impressive) is that you are staying motivated and still going at it.

When I was younger and still lived at home I too attempted to take over the attic. it was a considerably larger space but similar issues and problems to face being an attic.

Needless to say it was a project that lasted until.....well, it's never really been finished.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2006-09-16, 09:09

Wow - quite a bit of work to be done by the looks of it: hope it goes well, WLP. I used to have an attic place - very cool, lot's of character.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-09-16, 09:23

I didn't notice the hole for your A/C unit. Did you change your mind on where it is going?

Progress looks good though, keep at it. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.
miniuser

2006-09-16, 09:39

I was actually just thinking about this thread yesterday, wondering how things were turning out. Nice to see the progress. You are doing a great job. Keep us updated as you go.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-09-16, 15:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
I didn't notice the hole for your A/C unit. Did you change your mind on where it is going?

Progress looks good though, keep at it. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.
We'll probably put one in next summer, but we won't need it until then so we decided to put it off.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-10-12, 18:54

So how's the progress?
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-10-12, 19:04

Going well, I'll go take some pictures (I was just down to eat some supper)
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-10-12, 19:43

Comparison Shot

Dormer Shot

Ceiling shot (with lights!)

As a whole the project is progressing fairly well, no impossible problems yet.

The floors will really have to be cleaned with all the drywall dust on them now, but we got some nice semi-gloss coating to protect and seal and beautify it. The railing hasn't been erected yet, there needs to be some room to move around in while dry-walling.

I think I'll paint the ceiling a dark grey (to make it seem taller) and the walls a lighter hue of something subtle. I'm not a huge color guy, and I might go with a color-scheme based off black, white, and greys for accent colors. Really mix up the colors too, so it won't be too boring looking.

I have a nice drafting table that I'll put up by the corner window in the first pic above, then my bed will go along that vertical wall that doesn't yet have drywall. I put some shallow shelves for things like alarm clocks and books. I might buy a cheap adjustable lamp and mount it to the wall by my bed, so I can read at night. I also want a memory-foam mattress, since my current mattress sucks big time.

Pretty soon though we'll be mudding and sanding like crazy, then we can start to finish it out.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-10-12, 20:03

Cool progress.

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.
zsummers
Avast!

2006-10-12, 22:40

That has the potential to look very, very cool. You should find someone with a better eye for color than you claim you have (I speak from experience). Some folks really can do amazing things with a little bit of paint. Seriously, that could look pretty darn kick-ass.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-10-13, 11:05

Yeah, I'm no painter

We have a family friend who loves decorating and is really good with matching colors and styles, so whenever she comes to town I'll have to go shopping. We did a few bathrooms at our old house based off her advice and they turned out really well.

This is my favorite project from my old house, also done exclusively by my dad and I:

This one doesn't have a bunch of color, but has a nice antique counter, real tile floors, doorless-shower, a sweet faucet (like an old spigot) and cool lighting. I really hated moving from that house.

This was also a neat counter, with a bowl-sink and custom-made counter top.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-10-13, 11:43

Quote:
I think I'll paint the ceiling a dark grey (to make it seem taller) and the walls a lighter hue of something subtle.
"Grey. I think I'll paint the ceiling grey."

I once saw a ceiling done in grey, like you describe, but with just the *slightest* blue tinge, and they painted it lighter towards the edges, and darker in the center. It gave the (slight) illusion of a curved ceiling, and the blue made it seem like the bowl of the sky, so it would seem even larger.

If you were high, I guess, but that was the intent.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-10-13, 11:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Leader Pretend View Post
Yeah, I'm no painter

We have a family friend who loves decorating and is really good with matching colors and styles, so whenever she comes to town I'll have to go shopping. We did a few bathrooms at our old house based off her advice and they turned out really well.

This is my favorite project from my old house, also done exclusively by my dad and I:

This one doesn't have a bunch of color, but has a nice antique counter, real tile floors, doorless-shower, a sweet faucet (like an old spigot) and cool lighting. I really hated moving from that house.

This was also a neat counter, with a bowl-sink and custom-made counter top.
I saw this and thought, shit, you've made good progress on that attic! Must read back...
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-11-26, 23:40

Update!!

We finally got all the drywall hung (every piece had to be custom cut, ) and now we are taping and plastering. I thought I would throw up a few pics for your viewing pleasure...

Looking at the two dormers. Notice the new shelves!

Both shelves. The bed will go under the shelves against the walls.

Swinging around the other way looking at the skylight and first dormer.

Standing in the second dormer facing the two skylights. Notice the sweet arch!

My closet that will be semi-open to the rest of the room (no door)

Door to the storage area. The top has been dog-eared to fit.

Also, which trim style should I use? 1 being the closest, 2 being the middle and 3 being the farthest:

I'm planning for my entertainment center as well, it will go between the stairwell and the 1st skylight wall. Looking at putting a futon and beanbag for seating, throwrug, 32"-42" TV, Surround Sound and a Infinite Baffle subwoofer (2 18" drivers mounted into the wall, fed by a 500 watt amp and EQ) That will be a hell of a sound system!

hiltond

Send a message via AIM to hiltond  
2006-11-26, 23:56

Your project is coming along really well WLP. I am interested in how the closet will come out. That could be really functional and carefree. Some texture on the wall in the closet could set it off from the rest of the room without having it jump out at you. I am assuming you will have bars to hang articles on on either side of the door.

Does your design fit into a particular school? Any more thoughts on color?
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-11-27, 00:09

Thanks! All the walls will have some mild texture, like swipes of plaster, because A) I'm not about to sand the walls down perfectly and B) It looks cool and nicer quality if there is some hand-built quality to it. I could make the closet have heavier strokes and a much more textured feel...

The design is based around geometric contrast, if I had to label it. The sharp and bold angles of the ceiling and walls are complemented by the flowing arch and rounded edges of the angles.

Color wise I'm not as sure... I'll probably do a lot of testing to see what works best. I'm thinking a darker ceiling and lighter walls, but with a striking accent color.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-11-27, 00:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Leader Pretend View Post
I'm planning for my entertainment center as well, it will go between the stairwell and the 1st skylight wall. Looking at putting a futon and beanbag for seating, throwrug, 32"-42" TV, Surround Sound and a Infinite Baffle subwoofer (2 18" drivers mounted into the wall, fed by a 500 watt amp and EQ) That will be a hell of a sound system!

For two 18s I'd do closer to 1000 watts, at least.

BTW, if you ever even think about turning it on after 10pm, your parents will hate you.
hiltond

Send a message via AIM to hiltond  
2006-11-27, 00:33

Hmm interesting, if difficult, thought abut the walls. Just an idea, have you considered a couple of rolls of paintable paper in a light linen texture for the setback areas such as the built ins and closet thus continuing your contrasts theme. The devil is in the details, but then again I tend to over-produce.
miniuser

2006-11-27, 10:09

I think you're doing a great job. I know all the angles are frustrating, and REALLY add to how long everything takes to finish. But overall it's coming together very nicely.

Some things to consider tho. Since you already have a lot of angles going on there, I'd keep everything else very simple. The architecture is complex enough. Everything else you add now should be sleek, clean and simple. Otherwise you might overwhelm yourself and others when they come in. So I say for the trim, pick the simplest one. The one on the right. And it will be sooo much easier to align up at corners and other places. For the paint, I think you'll have to experiment and see what colors you like and work well. A dark color on the ceiling, might be nice and seem cozy. On the other hand, it might make it seems like the ceiling is way low, and might make you feel claustrophobic. But you'll only know once you try the paint and see. Also think about the angles and paint color. If you paint things all one color the angles disappear, if you paint different colors you exaggerate the angles. It also makes you think about where to stop and start the different colors.

Keep the pics coming as you progress. I t looks great!!
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-11-27, 12:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
For two 18s I'd do closer to 1000 watts, at least.

BTW, if you ever even think about turning it on after 10pm, your parents will hate you.
They hate me for even building it!

The 18"ers don't have a huge xmax, and relatively cheap (~$50 per driver plus $40 shipping from Canada). They have been extensively used for IB projects and work great when you are on a budget. Ideally I would use 4 18"ers because shipping is less and you save some money buying 4 at a time, but I might have to modify the walls to make it work. Personally two seems like plenty. I could go for a 2x750 watt amp, but that would cost another $100 more than the 2x230 watt amp. I'll figure it out sometime...
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-11-27, 13:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniuser View Post
Some things to consider tho. Since you already have a lot of angles going on there, I'd keep everything else very simple. The architecture is complex enough. Everything else you add now should be sleek, clean and simple. Otherwise you might overwhelm yourself and others when they come in. So I say for the trim, pick the simplest one. The one on the right. And it will be sooo much easier to align up at corners and other places.

For the paint, I think you'll have to experiment and see what colors you like and work well. A dark color on the ceiling, might be nice and seem cozy. On the other hand, it might make it seems like the ceiling is way low, and might make you feel claustrophobic. But you'll only know once you try the paint and see. Also think about the angles and paint color. If you paint things all one color the angles disappear, if you paint different colors you exaggerate the angles. It also makes you think about where to stop and start the different colors.
You make some excellent points, miniuser, especially about keeping things simple with all those angles. I was thinking the same when I looked at the trim choices. The plain one seems so clean and neat.

When it comes to adding color, really think it through, WLP. Go to some paint sites and see if they give tips on the effects of color. I would choose a light color for your walls and ceiling, and probably just one color. Lots of decorative color can be added to the room with throw pillows, the bedspread, chair fabric, area rugs, art work; and those colors can be changed easily when you get sick of them.

WLP, the attic is nice and bright now with the light color of the sheetrock. But if you decide to paint using dark colors, the room might start looking more like... eek... an attic.

Also, I would avoid bulky furniture in such as small area.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-11-27, 18:18

Thanks Windswept! I was planning on going with the simple trim anyway, the others just seem too overwhelming.

Paint will stay light, although I have to say that painting the ceiling in my old bathroom darker blue made it seem about a foot taller. Maybe what I could do is paint the walls and ceiling light, but that little border around the top of the ceiling darker. That way it will raise the apparent gap between the walls and ceiling. Who knows? Paint is easy to change.

Furniture wise I totally agree. I only want a futon, preferably a metal tube based one; not a bulky wooden contraption, and a memory foam bed. I have a drafting table that I'll use for a desk in a corner, and maybe some throw rugs. No huge couches or bulky wardrobes.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-11-27, 18:20

Drywalling that dormer must have been total HELL.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-11-28, 12:02

And it was.
intlplby
Veteran Member

2006-11-28, 12:39

make sure you put bass traps in if you want great acoustics and more open sounding room...

however, i'm at loss at exactly how to treat an attic room that shape.... i guess i'd start with 4" thick rigid fiberglass panels in the 90 degree angle corners and the first reflection points. these would provide broadband absorption..... i cannot imagine how you'd calculate the resonant frequencies for a room that shape so i don't know how to calculate what size helmholtz resonators you'd need....

make sure to place the speakers and the couch far enough away from the walls so you don't get comb filtering
¡Damned!

2006-11-28, 14:41

Yeah.

World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-11-28, 22:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by intlplby View Post
make sure you put bass traps in if you want great acoustics and more open sounding room...

however, i'm at loss at exactly how to treat an attic room that shape.... i guess i'd start with 4" thick rigid fiberglass panels in the 90 degree angle corners and the first reflection points. these would provide broadband absorption..... i cannot imagine how you'd calculate the resonant frequencies for a room that shape so i don't know how to calculate what size helmholtz resonators you'd need....

make sure to place the speakers and the couch far enough away from the walls so you don't get comb filtering
I will make sure to work on the corners, and keep a lot of pillows, rugs, etc. in the general area to cut down on the harsh reflections. I'll use an EQ for the sub, the BEHRINGER DSP1124P Feedback Destroyer Pro, which I'll fine tune with an SPL meter and hopefully tame the room's (anticipated) complex tune. It is 12 feet from the wall to the stairwell, so a 7 foot wide futon should sit in there with plenty of room on either side. The speakers (Onix X-series from AV123.com) are ported so I'll have to keep them on stands and a foot or two away from the walls.