User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

The First Annual Applenova Challenge, Competitors Log.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The First Annual Applenova Challenge, Competitors Log.
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-12-10, 13:29

Day 1 - I cant run, its too dark outside. Bad start in general. Torifile has stepped ahead by running (stupid time difference). Im thinking of sticking the Nike+ device to leg and doing everything with it on - that may be unsporting, I'll save that trick for Round 2 next year.

Saw this picture today:
Im hoping to have breasts as firm as this within a couple of weeks.

post your challenge running log in here.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-12-10, 13:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
Im thinking of sticking the Nike+ device to leg and doing everything with it on - that may be unsporting, I'll save that trick for Round 2 next year.

Is that the LAZY_BUM cheat code?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-10, 14:12

Ok, so I tried to log miles but it seems that those here in EST the challenge doesn't start until 7pm. Is that the local time you started the challenge Farenhiet? Oh well, I only put .3 miles on for a quick test of the logging. I had to get some eggs.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-12-10, 14:14

I know why, I set it to start tomorrow for me, which is 12AM GMT. Which will be about 7 this evening for you. Thats cleared up
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-10, 14:38

Guess that means tori's head start isn't happening.
mudphud

2006-12-10, 19:02

I noticed that the challenge didn't start until 5pm in my time zone, so I'm going out now for a run.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-12-10, 19:03

Shouldn't the run be starting right about now?
mudphud

2006-12-10, 20:37

Just finished a run. It was -9 C. When I got back, my left big toe was numb and the sweat on my hat had frozen. At least I could dust off the sweat.

Anyhow, I logged my run.

Good luck to everyone.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-12-10, 20:56

mudphud, you're a bastard! you got the headstart on all of us. the way it's looking everyone will be getting a headstart on *me* (except chucker ) because I'm not going to have time to run until wed. crap.
chucker

2006-12-10, 22:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
the way it's looking everyone will be getting a headstart on *me* (except chucker )
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-12-11, 02:19

damn you mudphud! Just woken up and its so windy and dark outside...and i have my mb by my side surfing the net...will run this afternoon
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-12-11, 08:52

Day 1 Log

About to go out for first run, taking it steady to start with. Spurred on by _Ω_ who repped my first comment with the comment "Huzzah for firm breasts". Special.

Hope to do 3 miles just to get me on the chart.

POST RUN LOG: A rather pitiful 2.94 miles. Man am I unfit. I regret this so much, its unbearable.

Last edited by Fahrenheit : 2006-12-11 at 11:03.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-12-12, 18:35

Come on lardasses, do some running.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-12, 18:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
Come on lardasses, do some running.
I'm feeling the love and motivation!
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2006-12-13, 17:21

STEALTH_MODE_ON

Just kidding. I'll upload my run data now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-13, 20:39

I finally got some time in today! It wasn't a long as I wanted it to be. I had to calibrate my sensor since I just got my Marware shoe thingy in tonight. It worked well for me. Much more comfortable than stuffing it down my shoe.

Edit: Add images from the packaging.

I'm impressed. I was expecting the box to be much less professional than this. Works great too.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2006-12-14 at 15:44.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-12-13, 21:25

For the record, since I am running EXTREME_STEALTH_MODE (aka no Nike+ thing) I put in 6.5 miles Tues, and 5-5.5 miles tonight. Good pace, around 35 minutes tonight although I was a little bit stuffed up from the cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada's Bitch
I cant run, its too dark outside
WTF is this lame-ass excuse? I run almost exclusively at night.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-15, 23:41

So does an elliptical trainer count for this? I'm not sure if the sensor will work right on one since the foot motion is a little different. Obviously a treadmill is within allowable equipment. It's really nice outside right now, but I have a membership with Y so I don't have to freeze or melt depending on the season. The elliptical trainer is good enough for the Navy to use it for their annual fitness testing so it seems it should be good enough for our challenge, but I thought I would check first before trying.

Quote:
From Chief of Naval Personnel Public Affairs

WASHINGTON (NNS) -- Commanders may now authorize the elliptical trainer as an alternative testing option for the cardio portion of the Physical Readiness Test's (PRT) 1.5 mile run beginning with the Spring 2007 physical fitness cycle.

“This option provides a challenge equal to the run with much less impact to the lower extremities,” said Heather Pouncey, Physical Readiness Program Office director. “The addition of the elliptical trainer as a testing option expands our support for Sailors and commands to maintain a fit and fully mission ready force.”

As with the swim and treadmill options, commanders and officers-in-charge maintain discretion in authorizing the elliptical trainer for the physical readiness test.

The elliptical trainer test is a 12-minute fixed-time test which correlates the results to the 1.5 mile run. The elliptical trainer test will provide the Sailors caloric output, which will be converted into a run time. The run performance standard charts, in OPNAVINST 6610.1H, will determine the PRT score. The goal is to burn as many calories as possible during the 12-minute test.

Last edited by turtle : 2006-12-15 at 23:51.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2006-12-16, 07:21

I don't think the sensor would accurately measure distance without discrete footfalls and I don't think it's the same "type" of exercise. Do you know what sort of caloric burn an elliptical will give you compared to running? If it's the same, I'd be ok with it, but if it's not, you're doing a different exercise. But this is all in good fun, so if you want to do the elliptical and log those miles, do it. Personally, I hate elliptical trainers more than treadmills even. I'll be on the treadmill when it's too cold to run.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-16, 11:32

Quote:
I don't think the sensor would accurately measure distance without discrete footfalls and I don't think it's the same "type" of exercise. Do you know what sort of caloric burn an elliptical will give you compared to running? If it's the same, I'd be ok with it, but if it's not, you're doing a different exercise. But this is all in good fun, so if you want to do the elliptical and log those miles, do it. Personally, I hate elliptical trainers more than treadmills even. I'll be on the treadmill when it's too cold to run.
I was talking with one of the sailors on here and it seems that info isn't published yet. I thought it was, be looks like the caloric burn : run time info won't be out until first of the year. It doesn't seem to fit with the same stride as running, but I thought I would check. I'll post the rest of the info here when it's actually published.

spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2006-12-16, 18:02

Quote:
Do you know what sort of caloric burn an elliptical will give you compared to running?
I have no idea how many calories running will burn, but the elliptical I recently purchased shows calories burned as you use it. FWIW, at about 45 RPM for 20 minutes, on the lowest resistance level, it shows about 160 calories burned. Curiously, it doesn't show distance. 160 calories sounds low to me, but I don't know a lot about exercise, diet and etc.

Ugh.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2006-12-18, 22:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotcatbug View Post
I have no idea how many calories running will burn, but the elliptical I recently purchased shows calories burned as you use it. FWIW, at about 45 RPM for 20 minutes, on the lowest resistance level, it shows about 160 calories burned. Curiously, it doesn't show distance. 160 calories sounds low to me, but I don't know a lot about exercise, diet and etc.
For comparison, a 3.7 mile run burns 450 calories. That's for my weight of 160. At my typically slow 8 min/mile pace, that's about a 30 minute run.

Back to the challenge: 1 0wn 4|| y0ur 50u|5! I hope that you all are running but not uploading because if this is your idea of a challenge, I challenge you to a high stakes game of Texas Hold 'em.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2006-12-20, 23:02

Come on people! Am I the only one running in this thing?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-23, 20:02

Well I am planing to but went on vacation. I did bring my Nike+ kit and Nano, but I can't upload while I'm away since my Mini is what I sync off of. Don't fret though, I'm not getting much running in while I have been away.

Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-12-27, 19:56

OK - I don't have the Nike+ kit, but it's time (post Christmas/return to Australia binge) for me to join in.

Did the tan (in Melbourne) this morning. Pitiful 22 mins - the first hill was a struggle. Will keep plugging away though as I'm sure I have packed on about 2 kilos since my return.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2006-12-27, 20:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
OK - I don't have the Nike+ kit, but it's time (post Christmas/return to Australia binge) for me to join in.

Did the tan (in Melbourne) this morning. Pitiful 22 mins - the first hill was a struggle. Will keep plugging away though as I'm sure I have packed on about 2 kilos since my return.
What's the "tan"?

turtle: you know you can upload data even if you're not syncing your nano. If you've got another computer with iTunes around, connect your nano to it. Just make sure you choose not to update the iPod or whatever that dialog box says. It'll upload just fine after that.

Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-12-28, 00:53

Botanic Gardens track ... I'm seriously embarrased by my time as I had sub 5min/km back in October. I'll be sure to let everyone know if I ever get that back.

twitter
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-12-29, 01:08

3.8km - around the block (loosely speaking)

This will be my local run for the next week or so. It's not that long, but it has lots of hills. Really feeling it in my quads and shins at the moment.

I'm aiming to see a drop in my times and my weight. Longer runs will follow if my heart and legs hold up.

twitter
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2006-12-29, 10:18

I've been unable to really run this week since I'm out of town. The weather's been really good up here in Ohio but I've also been a touch sick. I may go for a 3 mile run later today if I feel up it. The mid-west is really flat.

Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2006-12-29, 10:21

Oh yeh, by the way, I seriously fucked up my ankle playing squash, so, I'm out for this one.

But everyone else keep up the good work, and remember to prepare for the next competition, which will hopefully involve more people.