User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

watching a .mov file in windows

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
watching a .mov file in windows
caraloca

2007-04-29, 16:17

Hi, my daughter make home movie for the first time for her school using imovie with her ibook g3.
she add music etc.. now we want to watch it in a windows pc because at school they have only windows , so we transfer the .mov file then try to open with quicktime, vlc player and windows media player but we cant.
With quicktime it said that it can not open it said;
the movie file "IMGP0922.dv" can not be found, Without this file, the movie can not play properly" and it gives the option to cancel or search, so we copy those .dv files and put them together in a folder with the .mov file and now we choose search and we locate the file but then it ask for another .dv file then it ask for mp3 files and it goes like asking for files until it just freezes my win pc.
What did she do wrong?, how come it is not just a .mov file instead of a .mov file + few .dv files and .mp3 files? and what she can do?
Thanks
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2007-04-29, 16:45

When saving, you need to choose to save as "Self-contained." Otherwise, it just links to the sources. It's a silly default; it should be the other way around (how many times have you actually wanted a non-self-contained movie file?).
caraloca

2007-04-29, 16:57

i just tried but we dont have that option, we have imovie 4.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-04-29, 19:51

In iMovie there should be an option to export the clip for email or QuickTime. I'm not familiar with v4, but select the clip and try an export function. There should be your answer.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
caraloca

2007-04-29, 21:54

I found an option to share it and we were able to watch it in windows now, the only thing is that the quality is lower but still watchable, I guess that way it can be mail or upload faster.
Thanks for the help
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-04-29, 22:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by caraloca View Post
I found an option to share it and we were able to watch it in windows now, the only thing is that the quality is lower but still watchable, I guess that way it can be mail or upload faster.
Thanks for the help
Play around with those share options. I'm sure there's one to allow you to set "Custom" settings for higher quality.