AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

Halo 4 coming?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Halo 4 coming?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-06-06, 11:51

Does anybody care?

Well, I sure do. Definitely my favorite gaming franchise. There is at least some minor jabber that it could be announced, today.

Thoughts?
arteggio

2011-06-06, 15:05

This is the only game franchise I have ever been loyal to, that I have effectively grown up with (its the Pong/Space Invaders of this decade!), and which makes me feel all odd and warm inside when I learn that it's still alive.

I've loved looking in-depth into the storyline, and it's cool that there's still more to be told.

Have you seen that teaser trailer?! This is why the word epic came to mean more than a long oral poem!

Re the end: there's more to the Forerunner world... My fiction-spinning mind is overheating.

For years it seemed like Halo 3 would be the definitive end. Then OSTD and Reach came out, and were spectacular. And now this — plus Halo 5, and 6, and CE anew! This is all pretty great.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-06-06, 15:09

WOOT!

Not only did they announce Halo 4, they also announced Halo CE Anniversary Edition—a complete remastering of the original!

ocrapocrapocrap!

Edit: Wait a minute. It just occurred to me that I am super excited about an up-coming Microsoft product.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2011-06-06 at 15:34.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2011-06-06, 23:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteggio View Post
Have you seen that teaser trailer?!
I have, and I noted that it said Halo 4 was coming out "Holidays 2012", without specifying which of the 40 National Holidays or 75 unique State Holidays they were talking about.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
arteggio

2011-06-07, 10:11

Haha, feel the anticipation!

But I assumed 'Winter Holiday', ie Christmas. A year and a half...
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-06-07, 11:18

And here we are, set for an Halo 4-5-6... I would be excited if I played 2-3-Reach or even own an Xbox.

The remake of CE is awesome though. Hope I can find a friend with a 360 to play it online.

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2011-06-07, 11:24

Oh dear, another set of Halo games... will it ever end?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-06-07, 11:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Oh dear, another set of Halo games... will it ever end?
Well, if CE is redone, then I am a happy camper. I will be lost in that game for hours and hours and…

It will be fun trying to kill it on Legendary. I've beaten the original on all four difficulty settings, but that was with keyboard and mouse. I am not as proficient with the Xbox game controller, so it will be super fun. Also, I am curious to see if all of the characters remain in the same places and spawn at the same time. And…I wonder if the Hunters will die with one shot to exposed eels or if they are going to use that lame-ass "27 rounds from a shotgun and a prayer" to kill off.

As far as Halo 4, 5 & 6 are concerned, there appears to be some "new" enemy to fight off, which makes me wonder if the Halo rings will be involved at all. If not, why call it Halo? Why not "John 117 Does the Universe" or something like that?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-06-07, 12:00

I used to love beating hunters with the pistol.

That was the best thing about CE - that every weapon was "good" in it's own way. The pistol seemed crappy because every FPS before had conditioned you to think pistol=crappy but when you realised it was like a more agile mini-sniper rifle, it took on a whole new meaning.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-06-07, 12:08

Cause John 117 wouldn't sell as much as the Halo name...
zippy
Veteran Member

2011-06-07, 12:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I used to love beating hunters with the pistol.

That was the best thing about CE - that every weapon was "good" in it's own way. The pistol seemed crappy because every FPS before had conditioned you to think pistol=crappy but when you realised it was like a more agile mini-sniper rifle, it took on a whole new meaning.
Definitely. I only discovered this after going back through for the third time. Sometimes, I'm a slow learner.

I really enjoyed Reach, but haven't had a chance to go back through it - I originally borrowed it to play through and just picked up my own copy the other day. But Halo: CE is still my favorite, and the only one I've played through multiple times.

Looking forward to the remaster and the new stories!! **

**as long as MS doesn't screw it up with Bungie no longer in the picture

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-06-07, 12:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
**as long as MS doesn't screw it up with Bungie no longer in the picture
Amen to that!

I think it will be hard for them to screw up Halo CE Anniversary, since all they are doing is remastering the graphics. So long as they leave the music, dialogue, and gameplay alone, it will be awesome.

Yeah, the pistol in Halo CE is awesome, and it is awesome, again, in Reach. It is darn near useless in 2 and 3. I haven't played ODST, so I can't say, there, but I have heard bad things.

What I love most about the pistol is it's effectiveness with the "Hunter melee", whereby you get really close to a Hunter and let him charge you; you then side-step to the left, turn right, and shoot him in the back! Wham, bam, thank you ma'am! While some nerds will say that's too easy, it takes hours to master, and you have to bring the Hunters to you and fight on your terms, making sure the area is free of obstacles that will foul you up. It is a strategy that is sorely lacking in the most recent Halo games, where killing a Hunter is more like boxing with a rhinoceros. Complete pain that slows gameplay, especially in the higher difficulties.

arteggio

2011-06-07, 14:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
As far as Halo 4, 5 & 6 are concerned, there appears to be some "new" enemy to fight off, which makes me wonder if the Halo rings will be involved at all.
I assumed it was Forerunner related and though we haven't played against these beings/circumstances yet, I have this feeling that we've already been exposed to it somewhat through the mammoth story that already surrounds Halo. It's probably not new, it's just the first time experiencing it.

This is one of the things I loved about following Halo mythology and then buying the brand new game to go play in that world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I think it will be hard for them to screw up Halo CE Anniversary, since all they are doing is remastering the graphics.
I'm not knowledgeable about how games are made and the differences between Xbox 1 and the 360, but I was figuring it would be a bit more than graphics, as in a more modern 'game engine' or whatever (like, what Halo 3 is built on as opposed to 2 or CE, if that makes sense).

Regardless, MS shouldn't be able to screw that up still. I just wonder if it will feel like CE, or not.
zippy
Veteran Member

2011-06-07, 14:10

Quote:
I assumed it was Forerunner related and though we haven't played against these beings/circumstances yet, I have this feeling that we've already been exposed to it somewhat through the mammoth story that already surrounds Halo. It's probably not new, it's just the first time experiencing it.

This is one of the things I loved about following Halo mythology and then buying the brand new game to go play in that world.
Are you thinking that the new enemy is Forerunner related? Because I was under the impression that the Forerunners were some type of ancient Human civilization, so I can't see why we'd end up fighting against them.

I wonder if it won't somehow be tied to the Insurrectionist battle that was going on between humans prior to their run in with the Covenant and Flood.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Dave
Ninja Editor

2011-06-07, 23:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
Are you thinking that the new enemy is Forerunner related? Because I was under the impression that the Forerunners were some type of ancient Human civilization, so I can't see why we'd end up fighting against them.
Perhaps the Forerunners were very smart, but not particularly friendly?
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-06-08, 00:12

See: Sentinels. Maybe not Forerunners themselves, but their technology, on autopilot.
arteggio

2011-06-08, 08:32

Well, I forgot the part where the Forerunners might be ourselves, you see. Been out of the loop for a year or so...

Just look at Earth now: it's not like we need aliens to war with ourselves. I don't think I've ever really come across info on this Insurrectionist battle, but it would be. . .intriguing, if Master Chief ended up having to go against an opposition group of humanity. With the Covenant on his side? They did pretty will join up at the end of H3, so some-Humanity and the Covenant being on a pretty good standing from H4–H6, fighting against evil humanity, can make sense.

A Halo game with Humans vs Humans would be an interesting angle.

Sentinels were the beings controlling the Flood while their masters were away — and helped MC in the beginning, then turned on him (I think. Was it on the Arbiter instead?). I could see these little moody buggers doing big, evil things...

Are we really discussing Halo Universe speculation on AN? If so, it's awesome.
zippy
Veteran Member

2011-06-08, 10:30

Quote:
Well, I forgot the part where the Forerunners might be ourselves, you see. Been out of the loop for a year or so...

Just look at Earth now: it's not like we need aliens to war with ourselves. I don't think I've ever really come across info on this Insurrectionist battle, but it would be. . .intriguing, if Master Chief ended up having to go against an opposition group of humanity. With the Covenant on his side? They did pretty will join up at the end of H3, so some-Humanity and the Covenant being on a pretty good standing from H4–H6, fighting against evil humanity, can make sense.

A Halo game with Humans vs Humans would be an interesting angle.

Sentinels were the beings controlling the Flood while their masters were away — and helped MC in the beginning, then turned on him (I think. Was it on the Arbiter instead?). I could see these little moody buggers doing big, evil things...

Are we really discussing Halo Universe speculation on AN? If so, it's awesome.
The whole insurrectionist thing wasn't present in the games at all. That comes from the books. When the Spartan program was initiated, it was the ongoing battle with insurrectionists that was the driving force - they hadn't encountered the covenant yet.

I haven't read all of the books - especially the Forerunner series, which should provide much more clarity about who/what they were. But from the story in the games, where the covenant needed humans to activate things like the Halos, it seems obvious that we must at least have very similar DNA or something.

potential spoiler
Spoiler (click to toggle):
Also from the books, all of the Spartans on Reach were killed except for John 117 (Master Chief). But there was a 3 member Spartan Team that was out doing some very covert, behind enemy lines kinds of missions. I don't know if they have been addressed in any of the books I haven't yet read, but I do know that they weren't killed with the rest of the Spartans in the Fall of Reach.

arteggio

2011-06-08, 10:53

Now it's coming back to me, though I've only read a book or two. Most of what I remember comes from reading tons a forums in the good old days.

I can't recall the situation leading to the creation of the Spartans, but I do remember all the stuff about the Covenant needing humans to interact with the Halos.

I do remember something about there having been surviving Spartans though. At least one was female, another might have been named Sam or something. I believe they were somewhere in the books. I could see these Spartans making an appearance in H4+ — and I actually believe fans had been wondering if they would appear in H3.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2011-06-10, 09:28

That would be like Luke Skywalker finding Mace Windu!
zippy
Veteran Member

2011-06-10, 09:42

Gray Team: Adriana, Spartan 111, Jai, Spartan 006, and Mike, Spartan ??? (possibly 001)

Last edited by zippy : 2011-06-10 at 09:53.
arteggio

2011-06-13, 08:49

I got answers to my question about the whole Xbox —> Xbox 360 thing: Q&A with Halo: Anniversary Crew.

In sum: same physics/game/AI engine (multiplayer, forge, etc are add-ons, with none of the Halo 3 advances available in CE campaign), new graphics engine on top of the old (interchangeable by user), re-scored music (audio otherwise original).

I'm excited to hear the original Halo soundtrack with this new orchestra. There were some great pieces, but the 90s techno stuff puts me off.