Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

itunes will not install

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
itunes will not install
Theoneandonly

2006-12-27, 16:55

WXP home....hp laptop 256rm

I downloaded the itunes installer, ran it and it does not install it just disapeers. I am the admin on this pc....I unistalled quicktime to see if that would work but no dice. Is there maybe a virus or trojan that effects install, maybe a background program that is affecting it? I have looked at the apple web site with little or no additional help...We just got a ipod nano...wish I can just drop files from another app like winamp, WMP....

Help

THEONEANDONLY
iFerret

Send a message via MSN to iFerret Send a message via Skype™ to iFerret 
2006-12-27, 18:02

Standard iTunes install guide thingy: Make sure to follow every step!

If it didn't come with a CD (which, obviously it didn't, becuase you said about downloading iTunes), make sure you've downloaded the absolute latest iTunes from Apple's website (it comes with QuickTime as well). Make sure that there is no other version of iTunes or QuickTime on your computer. If so, uninstall it/them now.
Download iTunes and load the .exe.
Follow the steps and it should work. If it doesn't :see below.

Are you sure you're an admin?

To address your problem:
First thing - restart your computer. See if iTunes' icon appears anywhere (desktop, start bar, quick launch, etc.) if not, then load up the CD/.exe and try to install again.
Second thing - run the installer. At the point where it closes, open the Task Manager and check to see if there are any mentions of iTunes, installer, QuickTime, Apple, iPod and that sort of thing. If so, then the installer is still running to a certain extent, but not properly.
Third thing - check 'Processes' in the Task Manager. See if there are any mentions of iPod, iTunes, QuickTime, Apple, installer, etc.

Once you've done that, get back to me.

iTunes should install and work on the set-up you've described. And if everything else works, it's not a hardware issue- so we can localize it to something you've done, a buggy installer or a conflict somehwere. Are you sure you're an admin?
iFerret

Send a message via MSN to iFerret Send a message via Skype™ to iFerret 
2006-12-27, 18:07

Also, do you get any error messages? Any at all at any stage of the process?

Things to try:
Download Microsoft Windows Install Cleaner: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;290301
Install and run it and look for any traces of QuickTime (sometimes under the name QuickTime, others are just under the version number)
Highlight and remove them.
I would do the same for ITunes as well.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2006-12-27, 18:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoneandonly View Post
WXP home....hp laptop 256rm
Windows XP is probably using all your memory!
Theoneandonly

2006-12-27, 19:42

I called tech apple, went down through all there stuff deleting temp files ect, no other apple stuff, no dice. they suggested me talk to hp...I will try the install program too...
Theoneandonly

2006-12-27, 19:44

opps sorry i have 512mb on this pc....my bad
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2006-12-27, 19:49

Try ending the win32 (is it win32?) process in the task manager. This should end all the unnecessary Windows processes and leave you with a "bare-bones" Windows.
Theoneandonly

2006-12-27, 22:08

I ran a program called End It All, and than installed itunes and it worked...I think I had a background program called keylogger that was upsetting the install program I guess...

thanks for all the help.
spikeh
BANNED

2006-12-27, 22:13

Are you kidding me? Keylogger? The clue is in the name, dude - keylogger is used to record keystrokes on the keyboard, which can then be assembled into complete sentences. This is clearly bad for any number of reasons, depending on how it got on there (if it's 'phoning home' - or communicating with a server on the net - then it could be transmitting all of your credit card details, passwords and so forth to malicious individuals). I'd advise you do a hard reformat of your hard disk.

P.S
Macs are safer
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-12-28, 00:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoneandonly View Post
I ran a program called End It All, and than installed itunes and it worked...I think I had a background program called keylogger that was upsetting the install program I guess...

thanks for all the help.
This is so perfect, it has to be a joke. It's just dripping with irony.

Get a Mac.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-12-28, 00:13

this thread makes me nervous.
spikeh
BANNED

2006-12-28, 00:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
This is so perfect, it has to be a joke.

Ah, the cynic in me didn't see that. Now that I think about it keylogger has the sense to hide itself from the system processes...