Page 7 of 17 First Previous 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11  Next Last Thread Tools
Ryan
Veteran Member

2023-08-01, 18:34

NBC News: Trump charged with defrauding the United States
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-08-01, 19:54

Oh my goodness!!! How ever did this strange set of circumstances occur??!!

Frank777
Veteran Member

2023-08-02, 01:10

Mere hours after the Hunter Biden business corruption testimony. How very convenient.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2023-08-02, 03:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
Rudy probably could have gotten a Senate or House seat, but he decided to try and run for President which failed spectacularly. Dude is a whack job and thinks he single handedly saved NYC after 9/11.

NYC Mayors are a special breed. They think they are incredible men who singlehandedly did all of the things that NYC is known for. de Blasio was like that, Erick Adams is making press conferences play a walk up song for him.

There is a reason that no NYC mayor has gote on to higher office since 1869. NYC Mayors are just a bunch of asshats.
They seem to vastly overestimate their competence, and also underestimate how much more complex the US as a whole is than the more homogenous NYC.

"Small towns blah blah" is a tired trope, but it's also not wrong — some random three-people town in Iowa is going to require different politics than literally anywhere in NYC, and a good federal government needs to take that into account. So if such a presidential campaign fails, that's… the system working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Mere hours after the Hunter Biden business corruption testimony. How very convenient.
One is an influential media and political figure. The other is Hunter Biden.
¡Damned!

2023-08-02, 07:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
NBC News: Trump charged with defrauding the United States
The charges are one count each of:

Conspiracy to Defraud the United States
Conspiracy to Obstruct an Official Proceeding
Obstruction of, and Attempt to Obstruct, an Official Proceeding
Conspiracy Against Rights

The Indictment also lists six unnamed co-conspirators as well, likely uncharged at this point to get Trump into a trial sooner rather than later. The first 4 are easy enough to figure out (Rudy Giuliani, John Eastman, Sidney Powell, Jeffrey Clark) - I'm not sure about the last 2. [edit]: Many are saying that co-conspirator 5 is Kenneth Chesebro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Comer and the Clown Caucus have absolutely nothing.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2023-08-02 at 08:22.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2023-08-02, 10:19

Eastman is such a piece of shit, but fortunately he's also a moron. He's heavily involved in Colorado politics and generally whatever he touches is going to fail.

Why CU Boulder made him a professor will forever baffle me.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2023-08-02, 14:43

Legal and copiously available pot?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-08-04, 11:21

I do hate to wade into all this unhinged, obsessive horseshit, but I couldn't pass this up (and should speak volumes to the average MAGAsbag out there, and who they're throwing in with):

Trump irked at arraignment judge who called him "Mr. Trump".

My curiosity got the best of me and I just had to find out why. Well...

Quote:
The former president was “irked” that US District Judge Moxila Upadhyaya referred to him as “Mr Trump” and not “Mr President” as he was formally hit with four charges over his attempts to overturn the 2020 presidential election, according to CNN.
Well, here's the thing. You're NOT the president, jackass. I don't care what twisted "logic" Alex Jones and the tactical flashlight crowd conjures up to show that you actually somehow won in 2020.

What, exactly, is the protocol on that? Is that a courtesy title you still get called as you go through life, or as you attend official ceremonies or are addressed by the press? Do Carter, Clinton, Bush and Obama, today, get referred to as "Mr. President"? Or is Trump just being a deluded, petulant jackass, as usual? Does he have a legit beef, or is the judge correct (or making a person decision not to refer to a potential jailbird as "Mr. President", just on grounds of decorum, common sense, etc.? I mean, I'd call him "Donny fuckbucket" or "fat ass with the combover" if I met him, so "Mr. President" ain't in the cards, at any level, from me.

Further down the article:

Quote:
Mr Trump’s alleged annoyance comes as the staff at his Mar-a-Lago and Bedminster estates typically still refer to him as “President Trump” – despite leaving the White House over two years ago.

75 years ago, men in white uniforms with nets would be chasing someone like this, and nobody would take him seriously. And we'd all applaud their actions. Now he travels around, eats up news cycle time, keeps himself in the public eye (never in a good way...it's not like he's accidentally discovered the cure to cancer or AIDs...he'd let us know if he has, trust me). He's exhausting to just hear/read about. Imagine being amongst his inner circle of dye-dripping lawyers and shriveled-ball "yes" men (and whatever unfortunate bastard has to tie that ridiculous 14m necktie of his).

That's what scares me a little at this point, that enough people (including more than a few relatives) out there are okay with this sort of thing and can't wait to pull the lever for this cretin in another 16 or so months.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2023-08-04 at 11:32.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2023-08-04, 11:26

The American tradition of addressing past presidents as 'President' after they've left office is indeed very stupid.

But if you're okay with doing it for all the other wretches, I don't see the problem doing it for Trump.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2023-08-04, 12:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
Do Carter, Clinton, Bush and Obama, today, get referred to as "Mr. President"? Or is Trump just being a deluded, petulant jackass, as usual?
Yes on both questions.

It is tradition in America for sitting and past elected officials to retain their titles until the day they die. It goes for presidents, senators, representatives, judges, and many others.

Yes, Carter, Clinton, Bush, and Obama are still referred to as "President X" and "Mr. President".

And, yes, Trump is being a deluded, petulant jackass, as usual!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
¡Damned!

2023-08-04, 12:58

I think it's mostly deferential - you don't 'officially' keep the title after you're out of the job afaik. That said, I've heard it applied to all past Presidents and VPs, and Condoleezza and Hillary still get called Secretary whenever I've seen them pop up on a news bit. This specific case may be a little different because it's in a courtroom? The only previous case that comes to mind was Denny Hastert, but he was Speaker and I can't find a direct quote from the judge addressing him as such.

So it goes.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2023-08-04, 13:44

Military ranks may continue to be used as honorifics after honorable discharge or retirement, but are rarely done so anymore, except at General equivalent (O-7) and above. (Colonel was not Chicken Man Sanders' first name, after all.)

Officially, if rank is used, (retired) or (ret.) should be placed after the name as in "Col. Sanders (ret.)" to indicate non-active status.

President is... an odd one though, and there's been a creeping use of just 'President' to refer to current and prior holders of the office that I greatly dislike for exactly this reason. It blurs the line between the office and the person, when having them be utterly distinct is one of the hallmarks of a functional democracy.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2023-08-04, 14:53

Quote:
Well, here's the thing. You're NOT the president, jackass. I don't care what twisted "logic" Alex Jones and the tactical flashlight crowd conjures up to show that you actually somehow won in 2020.

What, exactly, is the protocol on that? Is that a courtesy title you still get called as you go through life, or as you attend official ceremonies or are addressed by the press? Do Carter, Clinton, Bush and Obama, today, get referred to as "Mr. President"?
Seems to be a silly American thing. I don't know about official rules, if any (a lot of this seems to be norms only).

I read about things like "Secretary Clinton" or "Governor Huckabee" and think, "no, she isn't; no, he isn't". Traditions that date back to monarchy, I'm guessing. It's a job, not a lifelong title.

(Stay tuned for my rant on how "justice" is a collective noun. They're judges, not "justices".)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-08-04, 15:02

Yeah, if I met any of the living former presidents, I think my national inclination would be to address them as "Mr. President" (even the ones I'm not a huge fan of. But since he's such a baby/man-child, I think I'd call Trump anything/everything BUT, just to see if I could make him cry or wig out.

Prime Minister Donny, Pussy Grabber in Chief, etc.

He'd be the one ex-president that I wouldn't consider it an honor to meet. Well, him and Clinton, two sides of the same crass, lying-ass coin. The rest - Carter, Bush and Obama - absolutely. I'd love to, especially Carter, who seems to be far too decent of a man to ever hold that gig. What a fluke/abberation.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2023-08-04, 15:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I read about things like "Secretary Clinton" or "Governor Huckabee" and think, "no, she isn't; no, he isn't". Traditions that date back to monarchy, I'm guessing. It's a job, not a lifelong title.
Well, considering that much of US culture is deeply caste/class-based (while adamantly asserting that is not the case), that shouldn't be a surprise.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2023-08-04, 15:54

Count me as another who doesn't think we should address former elected officials by these titles. You can go back to Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms once you're done.

OTOH, after he left the White House, Teddy Roosevelt insisted on being called "Colonel Roosevelt" and for some reason that one doesn't bother me. Maybe because he was Teddy Fucking Roosevelt.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2023-08-04, 20:03

I think titles should stop as soon as you're not longer holding that title, military included.

Makes no sense to me how we're addressing people as a Governor, Mayor, President, Sergeant, etc.. years after they're no longer in that role.

Makes no sense how people called Rudy Giuliani, Chris Christie, Mike Huckabee Mayor and Governor still.

Adding "Former" in front of those titles would be perfectly fine.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Anonymous Coward

2023-08-04, 20:26

I'm satisfied not to be called "Petty Officer". Yeah, there are different grades (first, second, third, chief - and by the time one gets to chief, they are referred to as "Chief" - but in my experience, civilians and members from other services seem to like to say, "Petty Officer". Not really the same as an honorific title though, i.e., President, Secretary, General, Admiral, or even Sergeant or Chief.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-08-05, 06:08

For me, I’m cool with “Your exalted highness, bringer of light and soothing wisdom and X-wing commander”. But I don’t really expect/enforce it, and, not being DJT, I don’t get irked or throw a fit when people don’t. As long as I know it, that’s enough.

Speaking of guys with nets…
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-08-05, 08:20

In the early days of the Roman Republic, on occasions of threat to the existence of said Republic, the Senate followed a process to temporarily elevate a magistrate to the position of Dictator.

It was an ACTUAL rank.

Stated term was 6 months, but in many cases they would get their business done and hand in their keys early and return to their farm, shedding rank and authority. It was considered virtuous.

This ideal lasted for quite some time before it was perverted.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-08-05, 09:01

Yeah, nobody now would give up dictator/Caligula status/power without a spear to the head.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2023-08-05, 13:26

We live in a brave new world.

You shall now and forevermore refer to me as “Hey You”!

I think it’s fitting, and I am worthy of the title.

For those of you who are feeling a bit more formal, “Your Royal Highness Hey You” will suffice.

In the meantime, I’m in the camp of title while holding office and then humbly walking away.

But I’m not a narcissist as most politicians are, so I fail to fully understand the desire to be worshipped.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-08-05, 13:35

I'd never seek the gig to start with. No way I'm putting my loved ones through that microscope/scrutiny.

"You bet your sweet ass I inhaled. Then I drank the bong water*. Did a lot more than that too."

*Dennis Miller said that, not me.

It has occurred to me that if Trump and Musk go away, I've got nobody to talk about/make fun of. Kinda hope they stick around, but harmless and out of any real control/power.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2023-08-05, 14:20

Quote:
It has occurred to me that if Trump and Musk go away, I've got nobody to talk about/make fun of. Kinda hope they stick around, but harmless and out of any real control/power.
With the WGA/SAG strikes we're due for a whole new generation of reality TV dipshits to fill that void.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-08-07, 08:05

Never a shortage of those. And how do those shows get around this because there's nothing more scripted/planned out/fake than so-called "reality TV". Nobody acts like that for real. Nobody's that stupid, low-rent, base, crass and drama whore, day after day.

Or maybe I'm just not running in the right circles. I don't know people like this...fighting in restaurants, throwing shoes, banging the partner of all their "best friends", constantly crying/spun up, living for drama/upheaval 24/7, proud to be stupid/not know anything, etc. That's a cable TV construct. They find people who are partially this way, and then give them an extra push once the cameras are turned on. "Did you know Keilani hooked up with your ex Tristan at the club?"

"I'll KILL that *bleeping* *bleep*!!!"

I'm sure you will, Meghan with an "h"...just be sure to bring the camera crew with you on this murder run.

Real Housewife Whorebags, tune in for the premiere of season 432, this September on, what else, Bravo!

The desire for "fame", no matter what, is what drives so many!

It's just Instagram/social media on steroids/overdrive, being on a "reality" show.

Nothing scarier than "fame"-chasers who are also world-class mental patients.

Yeah, I got your rose right here...I guess that makes me your lifelong soulmate, for the next 2-3 months, huh?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2023-08-07 at 08:18.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2023-08-09, 05:24

Still holding out hope that Trump’s future honorarium begins with “Prisoner number…”
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2023-08-09, 08:45

It won't happen. He'll develop "extreme medical issues" between verdict and sentence (if that even happens), and will be far too sick to go to prison.

Seriously, temper your expectations. They're not going to actually jail a former President.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2023-08-09, 08:52

While I would love to see it, I think you're right.

The biggest thing that these charges can accomplish right now is to bar him from running in an election again.

I think if he's actually convicted, he'll bounce out of the country and go to one of his favorites and stay there for the remainder of his days.

Or, and this is more likely, he'll continue to raise money with his grifting campaigns and declare himself the MAGA President and will "give" funds to candidates he likes. In all reality, he'll just pocket the money and use it for personal gain, like how his personal jet all of a sudden got a full refurb.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2023-08-09, 09:07

I liked a thing I saw the other day about how lots of Trump supporters were complaining that the indictments violated Trump's rights - but the indictments and trials actually affirm his rights. In many other countries, if you fail to successfully execute a coup, there isn't much of a "trial" afterwards
¡Damned!

2023-08-09, 10:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
I think if he's actually convicted, he'll bounce out of the country and go to one of his favorites and stay there for the remainder of his days.
It would have to be somewhere without an extradition treaty, so my guess is either BoneSaudi Arabia or Russia. I'm fine with him taking his cult members with him on the way out.

So it goes.