Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Stable Diffusion
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-09-13, 13:26

Off-topic (click to toggle):
The captchas that REALLY annoy me are the ones where I have to identify the lions with their eyes open or something like that that isn't completely obvious.

Just let me proceed with my web thing please...

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
MineCraft? mc.applenova.com | Visit us! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-09-13, 21:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
By the way, you know how captchas have been asking you to identify cars and crosswalks and traffic signals and trees over the past many years? Every time you answer one, you are providing labels to those images so that Google (and friends) can feed them into their own machine-learning models. They are building a massive library of billions of driving-related images to help power the software of self-driving cars. Google isn't relying solely on that torrent of data to drive a car, but they are using it to double-check their own custom AI software's behaviors.
Mind blown.
I just didn't think about it.
The older I get the more blown away I am by how many opportunities there are to make money by developing niche software.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-11-24, 16:10

Here are some recent attempts of mine to Star Wars Clone Wars-ify the main Star Trek captains.

Unfortunately, through this exercise I've learned first-hand the lesson of how these models have (hopefully unintentional) biases due to the many thousands of barely-tagged images sourced from all across the internet. Black men appear to be very poorly represented in the main SD model, and I've really struggled to make a Sisko who looks anything like the man himself. I've run through lots of different inputs, and I've discarded tons of ugly and weird and malformed outputs trying to make him look good. Picard, by contrast, was pretty much perfect with the first few tries.

Let this be a reminder to everyone! Your output is only as good as the input when it comes to these highly-trained systems, and that is especially true for the original data used for the training. The data in these recent models are fine for making faces if you only want very famous people, white men, or sexy ladies.

Kirk

Picard

Janeway

Sisko

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-11-24, 18:32

Representation comes slowly. These are terrific!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-11-27, 18:42

Because I clearly have nothing better to do on a holiday weekend, I spent all day yesterday trying to train a stable diffusion textual inversion for Star Trek's Worf and use it to generate images in his likeness. I think I, uhh, well I'm not exactly sure where things went wrong.

It could be that I over-trained my model on his distinctly Klingon forehead ridges. It could be that the base SD model has no flipping clue what to do with his forehead since the many thousands of photos of normal humans it was trained on have smooth heads. I tried an absurd number of prompts and generated over 600 images, and I never quite got what I was looking for. Maybe I'll experiment with this idea again some other holiday weekend. Meanwhile, please enjoy this giant collage of some of the "best" results I hand-picked from the lot.

By contrast, once again, Sir Patrick Stewart was super easy to synthesize. It only took a few minutes to crank out some original studio portrait masterpiece shots like these.

I've also been on a kick putting famous folks into colorful clothes and sweaters, or putting them on stage performing standup comedy. Did you know that Queen Elizabeth regularly performed at clubs since she was a young woman? Who's going to dispute this impeccable evidence? #totallynotfakenews

Note that the system often can't make sense of Trump's ridiculous comb-over. Every once in a while I got these hilarious interpretations of it. I swear it came up with those hairdos on its own. It also sometimes struggles to give Trump a not-melting/exploding/horrific face (none of this included here) presumably because so many photos over the years show him shouting angrily with his mouth wide open.

(I'm putting the images in the next post so this one doesn't get whacked out horizontal scrolling from their bigliness.)

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-11-27, 18:43

Scroll to the right! Lots of examples.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-11-27, 18:57

OMG I definitely want in on this technology. I have been playing with Midjourney and I want more control, but training the AI seems to be the key and it sounds like you need a blue million photo references?

EDIT: Worf of the Thousand Ridges

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-11-27, 19:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
…but training the AI seems to be the key and it sounds like you need a blue million photo references?
If you wanted to train a whole model from scratch, then yeah, you need a millions pictures and a many thousands of dollars worth of hardware-time. Very few folks are creating whole models from scratch. What I'm trying to do is create a "textual inversion" which is an add-on file that influences the behavior of an existing model. My TI output is a tiny file that's only 4 KB compared to the multi-GB trained model files. From what I've read, you only need a dozen or so pictures to make a good TI, but like with everything else about these systems, the quality of its output is highly dependent on…

1. the quality of the pictures with some variety (different angles, backgrounds, clothes, facial expressions)
2. good textual descriptions associated with each picture
3. a lot of patience (and willingness to throw it all away and start over when it fails)

I was struggling to train/build the TI file on my own system. So, I used free credits on a Google Colab server to crunch the numbers. It took three and a half hours to process twelve 512x512 pictures, and I had to keep poking things on the page every few minutes to make sure it didn't think I was "idle" and shut itself down because their free credits are not intended for long-running, unattended jobs like this. Yes. It took 3.5 hours to make a 4 kilobyte file. The maths are weird.

In hindsight, I think I framed my images too closely on his face, and I didn't provide enough detailed descriptions for them. If I do this again (and I probably will), I'll try to run it all locally so I can let it crunch overnight worry-free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
EDIT: Worf of the Thousand Ridges
I think Chewbacca-Worf near the center might be my favorite unexpected reject.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-11-27, 19:48

Also, since more and more apps are being released to extend the accessibility of SD tools to non-programmers, I'm moving this thread over to General Discussion…
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-11-27, 23:17

Thanks for the context.

I hope that everyone has seen the "Start Wars" and "Stop Wars" AI photo sets that display a wildly, strangely dreamlike vintage take on the Star Wars film production.

Versions of Chewbacca that bend your brain because they DO kind of look like Chewie but look NOTHING LIKE HIM.

R2-D2s of all styles, many with AT-AT like legs.

Steampunk-ish versions of other characters.

Every new image is wilder than the next.

INSANELY addictive to view.

The kind of thing that we value when they spring from the minds of artists and jarring to encounter as a result of "steered chaos".

I would love to take a bunch of photos of Captain Drew and push them into a place where I could see him in a wild array of situations, but I do not have the time in my life to learn this level of technology and my ego isn't as big as his, to chase that down.

So I did stir and stir on one an architectural model in Midjourney, marveling at how it came together and FINALLY found one that was gorgeous enough that I paid for an account so that I could justify using it as a cover for a book that I didn't even have an outline for.... but it would be so cool.

Investment and interest in this technological arena is ONLY GOING TO GET LARGER.

It is marvelously fascinating, and I am sad that I am not able to just stop everything and pour myself into it.

Of course, in 10 years the AIs won't need my help anymore

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Brad
Selfish Heathen

Yesterday, 00:46

I for one haven't seen those! Got some links handy for us rubes?
drewprops
Space Pirate

Yesterday, 01:59

Oh goodness.

I am nearly asleep and can only provide Facebook links right now.

Here is the alternate version of Labyrinth:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/offi...ibextid=S66gvF

Start War 1922
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...ibextid=ncKXMA

And Stop Wars
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...ibextid=qC1gEa

¡Damned!

Yesterday, 15:17

I see Mario's probably got a side gig going on over at Chippendales! Hilarity.

I really have to find time to play more with these tools – some of those Midjourney posts are absolutely mind-blowing. A Metropolis and Hellraiser mashup? Yes please.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

Today, 13:58

I'm kinda sorta trying to make modern Disney/Dreamworks/Fox 3D animation style versions of the main Smash Bros roster. These are the cherry-picked best of the best, standing on the shoulders of dozens of garbage results. Some of these are a lot harder to coerce than you'd think. I couldn't get Samus to have cartoony/3D face despite tons of different prompt adjustments. I haven't included any Zelda or Peach attempts because their outputs so far looked nothing like them.

These are all just the plain outputs straight from the machine, too. If you put a little time into retouching and compositing in Photoshop, generated images like these would look even more amazing.

Mario or Luigi (Super Mario Bros)

Samus Aran (Super Metroid)

Pikachu (Pokemon)

Yoshi (Super Mario series)

Ryu (Street Fighter)

Three types of Link!

regular adult Link (Legend of Zelda)

super buff child Link (Legend of Zelda)

super buff adult Link (Legend of Zelda)