Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Office Chairs

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Office Chairs
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-04-18, 19:14

I'm looking for a new chair as the one I'm using now is falling apart and won't be useable at some point in the next few weeks when all the pieces of it fall off and I'm left with nothing but a huge worthless hunk of metal, plastic, foam, and fake leather.

I'm looking for either an executive or managers chair that has pneumatic height adjustment, reclines, and is on wheels. Those are my requirements. I would like one with adjustable armrests and adjustable seat angle if possible. Leather or cloth really doesn't matter to me. I'd like to keep the cost to under $100 if possible.

Anyone have any suggestions of a specific chair or a place to purchase a chair? I've got a lot of options, I know that, but the last time I bought a chair (this one) it didn't end up lasting me very long because it's a cheap piece of garbage.

Thanks for any suggestions anyone can give me.

Come waste your time with me
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-04-18, 19:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026

Anyone have any suggestions of a specific chair or a place to purchase a chair? I've got a lot of options, I know that, but the last time I bought a chair (this one) it didn't end up lasting me very long because it's a cheap piece of garbage.

Thanks for any suggestions anyone can give me.
Sammy, I hope you have a Costco nearby.

You should run right down there and sign up as a member as soon as possible.

They'll probably have an office chair available on the warehouse floor, but if they don't you can check out their website.

In my opinion, they always get the best product available for the money.

While you're there, stock up on everything else that they have available, at warehouse prices. For example, they sell books at 55% of their normal retail price.

I have not let myself near the book aisle at Costco in at least a year. Because I have (*sob*) no control when it comes to books.

I love Costco.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-04-18, 20:55

I'll second the Costco idea. I got my chair from Costco, and it's really nice. The most comfortable one at my dorm, from what I've seen so far.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-04-18, 21:56

Hi DMB,

Whilst I don't know the pricing, I'd like to throw two links I have at you ... with the implied understanding that (like your bed) you'll spend a lot of time working at your desk and sitting on your office chair during your life, so don't skimp on it.

I can't stress this enough - ergonomics (or Human Factors for the US folks) matters!

These will probably be pricey (esp the Aeron ... unless you find it at a blow out sale somewhere) but they'll pay themselves off in terms of quality (they should last a long time) and being designed specifically with your body in mind (they should not give you any grief posture wise).

Herman Miller - Aeron chair

and this other website: ergo4me - BodyBilt chairs

Nor spamming for sales - I dont' work for these companies ... just letting you know of what I had in my Human Factors folder of bookmarks.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-04-18, 21:57

I sit in a La-Z-Boy with my keyboard on my lap and my mouse on the armrest. Works pretty well. Super comfy. And it was FREE. The woman downstairs gave it to us when she moved out.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-04-18, 21:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
Oh, do be sure to check out the videos of the Aeron chair in this review too!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-04-18, 22:06

I would love a nice, Aeron-quality chair, I really would. But I'm not sure I could ever justify buying an office chair that costs more than my car.

Besides, my favorite chair in the world is a cheap, folding cloth, ugly chair...that just so happens to say "Director" on the back. (I have no films on my plate at the moment, and it's bugging me.)

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-04-18, 22:08

While the Aeron is undoubtedly a great chair, it has also become the symbol of the .com bomb (.coms used to blow obscene amounts of VC money on fancy furniture and other stuff, instead of producing useful and profitable products). So depending on which industry you work in, and if you have lots of people coming to your office, you might be sending the wrong message ...
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-04-18, 22:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti
While the Aeron is undoubtedly a great chair, it has also become the symbol of the .com bomb (.coms used to blow obscene amounts of VC money on fancy furniture and other stuff, instead of producing useful and profitable products). So depending on which industry you work in, and if you have lots of people coming to your office, you might be sending the wrong message ...
Seconded.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-04-18, 22:26

Hey - agreed, but it's a great chair and if you are only using it at home *and* if you can find one from a .com blowout sale, then snap it up. (But I understand the boat has probably already sailed on this as of now.)

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-04-18, 22:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Oh, do be sure to check out the videos of the Aeron chair in this review too!
Must you always rain on my parade?

(Actually, I enjoyed the videos and have bookmarked this link too!)
toyotaco01

2006-04-20, 11:00

(I don't sell these chairs, I'm just giving you my "review")

I realize that these chairs are really expensive, but they are great! My wrists sometime get sore from typing or simply using a mouse, but this past summer I was given one of these chairs for work and it was amazing. It fits like a glove and you can't help but have good posture while sitting, which helps your wrist and the rest of your body. I never felt sore.

Again, I don't sell these chairs so I don't get anything if you guys buy one, but I highly suggest getting your employer to buy you one (or at least chip in) because it will help *you* in the long run. A couple hundred bucks for most companies is almost neglible.