Biggest Pet Peeves?
Page 5 of 6 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-08-16, 19:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oompa Loompa View Post
Holy canary!
I've fought back, and recently made some huge strides. Don't worry.
Oompa Loompa
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2007-08-16, 19:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I've fought back, and recently made some huge strides. Don't worry.
You are such a soldier: respeck!

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-08-16, 20:02

Looks like I have a new pet peeves.

Discussing Paul's manhood.

It's as if privacy is foreign concept to this guy.

thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2007-08-16, 20:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post

Yuk. Nooooooooooooooooooo put it away.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-08-16, 20:08

I regret ever saying anything...

Not sterile. Just didn't like the Blunt song before my movie. There.
Oompa Loompa

2007-08-16, 20:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post

Hey now, you're the one mentioning bananas all of the time! What do you expect?

Ok, sorry guys for silly derailing... I'm going to hit the sack!
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2007-08-16, 20:16

Quote:
I like bananas............ Hmmmmmmmm..........maybe i should have just kept that comment to myself!!
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-08-16, 20:19

Quote:
Not sterile.
Okay, that's gross. Can't you just wash yourself once in while? You ever hear of germs?!?

Are you still regretting you mentioned it?

Quote:
A solid source of potassium!
Oompa Loompa

2007-08-16, 20:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeriatric View Post
I like bananas............ Hmmmmmmmm..........maybe i should have just kept that comment to myself!!
I very much like bananas & most of all Banana too!
Dave
Ninja Editor

2007-08-16, 20:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWR View Post
A big pet peeve of mine is a variant of the loud commercials problem: the loudness issues on DVD movies are similar. Turn the volume up to hear the dialogue, frantically lower volume when scene turns to a bar. Heaven forbid a helicopter flies by ... The whole freakin movie you've got to manage the volume. I end up putting subtitles on.
A lot of newer recievers/TVs/cableboxes have a compression option buried somewhere in the audio menu. It makes the loud parts quieter, with varying degrees of success, depending on the algorithm used and the actual program content. It works great for my friend. YMMV.

Edit: It's not always called "compression", either. Sorry, I don't remember any of the marketing code-words. Oh, this brings up another of my pet peeves: Marketing-speak. Yes, I'm aware that not everybody knows what a compressor is, but *nobody* knows what a "whatever the hell you decided to call it instead of a compressor" is.

Last edited by Dave : 2007-08-16 at 23:03.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-08-16, 20:39

My TV has a feature like that. It does work pretty well, I think.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-08-16, 20:50

Is it ever loud enough to annoy other neighbors?
Perfecting_Zero

2007-08-16, 20:52

Quote:
Have your ugly, dorked-up cars...fine whatever; it's your money. Just quit waking me up in the middle of the night with your 'vooooooooom-boooom-booooom-' horseshit as you're driving home from wherever oblivitard twats such as yourselves hang out until 2:30am (juvenile center visiting rooms, A-holes Anonymous 42-step program meetings, free clinic delivery rooms awaiting another unplanned birth, etc.).

Yeah, what gets me are the over-sized, chromed-out muffler contraptions that they put on these things... I mean, they're just mass-production four-cylinder engines! So they end up sounding like obnoxious lawnmowers... not the menacing spectacles of coolness that their owners must imagine.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-08-16, 21:31

I heard one of those just a few hours ago, in fact. That real high-pitched, buzzy sound...just hurts my ears and sounds so lame on a car. Yeah, makes a car sound like some crazy, out-of-whack lawnmower.

Get me a nice, low-pitched throaty rumble any day over that annoying, grating "BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...BZZZZZZZZZZZ!"

Perfecting_Zero

2007-08-16, 23:27

Exactly. Now, if we're talking fat, dual pipes coming straight off the manifold of an eight-cylinder engine... no muffler or catalytic converter (oops, sorry environment) in-line, that's the low, heavy rumble that you can feel in your gut.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2007-08-16, 23:29

It bugs me when people say, "My Bad."

I don't know but, I've just never been a fan of that phrase.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-08-17, 09:22

While their comments are well-deserved, I would like to curse all you who introduced me to the horrors of James _unt. What a disgrace! You know what his singing reminds me of? Adam Sandler on SNL singing the Thanksgiving song. The difference is, Sandler was trying to be funny. Holy GADH as they say in Chicago... that guy is a quivering piece of white toast.

I've seen more manliness in cameos performed by Gilbert Gottfried. Which reminds me... Gilbert Gottfried was a pet peeve of many people's for a long time. Hell, Gilbert annoys himself constantly. I'm almost sure of it.

...into the light of a dark black night.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-02-16, 18:28

*Bump*

Just thought I'd bring this back up because I though of another Pet Peeve of mine.

my roommates at school constantly leave the lights on when they're not in the room. It bothers the hell out of me.

That's all.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2008-02-16, 19:15

• chewing with one's mouth open (please spare the world the sight & sound of your mastication)
  • Ironic t-shirts. No wait...anything done, or worn, for ironic purposes.
  • mankinis
  • the wretched combination of bunions & open toed shoes

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-02-16, 19:15

Old people in the supermarket who just stand there and block the aisles with their cart.

Souflay123

Send a message via AIM to Souflay123  
2008-02-17, 04:34

Stupid drivers on the freeway, who can merge at a bottle neck so they cause like 20-30 min less than one mile stretches on the 101, people who slow down to look at an accident on the other side of the freeway. And so on...

Friends touching me, and same with lots of big hugs. I like my space bubble

People and friends who whine about money, but wont get a job

Moving my stuff around, it is one of those things, that if I see the last one I wont eat it, or if I do take the last, I shall let other know so they dont go reach for it and it is gone. I have this thing about touching my stuff, I just don't like it is a extension of my personal space bubble that goes to my possessions.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2008-02-17, 10:34

People who refer to the UK as England. UGH. I feel like educating the world, one ill-informed person at a time.

This is England in red. England is one of the four constituent countries of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

This is Great Britain. Great Britain is the name of the island which comprises the countries of England, Scotland and Wales. There are some other islands of the picture, but it's rather difficult to find one of Great Britain alone. Note that Northern Ireland is not in Great Britain, it's part of the island of Ireland, but also part of the state that is the UK.

This is the United Kingdom. It comprises, as I said above, of the island of Great Britain, some of the island of Ireland, and some of the other surrounding islands. The UK is the name of the state. Not England. Not Britain.

rant over
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-02-17, 11:08

annoying high school emo kids at concerts.

stupid ass hair and their straightening irons.....*sigh*
Freewell

2008-02-17, 12:58

Passive aggressiveness. It sucks. And so do the people who stoop to it.

If you have an issue, be man or woman enough to communicate about it, rather than acting like a snot-nosed 3rd grader who waits until mommy isn't looking to step on her favorite flower, cause she wouldn't give you that lollipop you wanted!

Oh, and liars. Usually the two go hand in hand.
digitaldave

2008-02-17, 15:42

I'm with Brad and his misplaced apostrophes - it's CDs, DVDs etc, not CD's or DVD's.

One of my big grammar peeves is the use of "should of", as in "I should of put the rubbish out", for example - it's a contraction of 'should have', so it's "should've". I know it sounds similar, but please!!!

On the motoring front, I can't stand people that have 4x4s/SUVs "because they're safer than a small car". That may be the case for a modern one if you are a passenger, but you're not giving other road users or pedestrians a fair chance:

http://www.euroncap.com/large_off_road_4_4.aspx

According to the ENCAP results, other small cars can be just as safe . For the record, I drive a BMW Mini, which although it only scores 2 stars on the pedestrian test, is better than the one star that most of the 4x4s get .

And another thing... stupid car names! Once upon a time, cars had sensible names like Mustang or Mini that described (to some extent ) what the car was supposed to be about. Now, we have things like the various offerings from Chevrolet/Daewoo such as the Lacetti, and the Kia Cee'd (wtf!). Who on Earth thinks up names like that?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-02-17, 16:03

Another bit of language/grammar that has been bothering me of late: common being used in place of come on. They don't read the same, they don't sound the same, and they don't mean the same!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-02-17, 18:42

Perhaps my biggest language-related pet peeve, outside of the ones already mentioned, is when people use "loose" instead of "lose." Like Brad said regarding "common" vs. "come on," they don't sound the same, they're not pronounced the same, and they have different meanings.

Another one that isn't so much a problem in everyday language but which really annoys me when I'm correcting a paper is when someone begins a sentence with the word "as" to mean "because." "As" has so many meanings, and you can begin a sentence with the word if you're using one of its other meanings:

"As if to blah blah blah..."
"As he ran across the field..."

However, every time I read something like this, I get confused and then have to go back and re-read the sentence:

"As he was the oldest member of the family, blah blah blah."

Just don't ever use "as" that way! It should be "because" or "since" every time.

I know this sounds like a really minor thing, but in all the written material that I've edited, the author inevitably does that all the time, and it's hard to decipher since they usually are talking about something really complicated.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2008-02-17, 19:19

I'm glad this thread has resurfaced.

When I'm away from a computer, I think of a multitude of things that annoy me.

But, now that I have a chance to write them down, I can't think of anything.

OH! Well, hey. *That* predicament...(what I just wrote above)...is actually an example of something that is annoying.

Okay, well, I guess I can come up with another annoyance:

I am continually amazed how people can write a one-line reply (in a thread), consisting of only 10-12 total words, but with words either left out or misplaced, so that their very brief statement makes almost no sense.

OR... I *often* see instances where the writer is going on at length about something, making a strong point 'for' or 'against' some issue, and he'll screw up the most important word of the whole statement, in that he probably means to say "can't abide", but instead, he'll type "can abide".

Now, this kind of mistake has little consequence in a messageboard discussion; but what if he were writing a State Department document, a legal paper, or something equally important? Screwing up the most important word by typing the exact *opposite* of what is intended... well, this kind of carelessness takes my breath away. And I see it *ALL* the time!
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-02-17, 19:51

Now this is annoying.

Quote:
Barack Obama sneaked down to North Carolina Sunday and met with former rival John Edwards, who has yet to make an endorsement in the race for the Democratic presidential nomination.
From here.

What's wrong with this sentence?
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2008-02-17, 20:02

Everything. (that just about covers it)