Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
Now this is annoying.

From here.

What's wrong with this sentence?
From dictionary.com:

Quote:
—Usage note:

First recorded in writing toward the end of the 19th century in the United States, 'snuck' has become in recent decades a standard variant past tense and past participle of the verb sneak: Bored by the lecture, he snuck out the side door.

Snuck occurs frequently in fiction and in journalistic writing as well as on radio and television: In the darkness the sloop had snuck around the headland, out of firing range.

It is not so common in highly formal or belletristic writing, where sneaked is more likely to occur.

Snuck is the only spoken past tense and past participle for many younger and middle-aged persons of all educational levels in the U. S. and Canada.

Snuck has occasionally been considered nonstandard, but it is so widely used by professional writers and educated speakers that it can no longer be so regarded.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-02-17, 20:28

Interesting. What you posted mentions that it occurs frequently in journalistic writing, which is why I'm surprised the AP article used sneaked. In fact, I can't remember ever hearing "sneaked" used before- I do remember teachers in school (not college, but middle and high school) correcting people who didn't use sneak.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Foj
Veteran Member

2009-11-13, 16:32

People who don't wash their hands after using a public restroom, or 99.99% as bad, they'll put their hand under running water for about 1 second. The soap is there for a reason!!!

A knife and a fork, a bottle and a cork, that's the way to spell New York.

Last edited by Foj : 2009-11-13 at 17:25.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2009-11-13, 17:08

People who take the elevator for either one or two floors. Just fucking walk it, please.
JohnnyTheA

2009-11-13, 17:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foj View Post
People who don't wash their hands after using a public restroom, or 99.99% as bad, they'll put their hand under running water for about 1 second.
YES! Especially after "#2". I'm not a biologist but I would bet that the "1 second" water thing only helps to spread even worse germs on door handles and other public "touch" places. I waste a little extra paper towels on the door handles (for opening) just for this reason. I hate getting other people water on me.

JTA
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2009-11-13, 17:20

Actually to go back to the James Blunt thing from two years ago; I don't like his music either, but he was a guest on Top Gear recently and he was surprisingly modest and funny. Clarkson said "I didn't know you were a homosexual", and without missing a beat Blunt said "Most of my songs are about you." He actually caught Clarkson off guard with that one, it was great.

Doesn't mean I'm going to start listening to his music, but he seemed like a pretty cool guy on Top Gear. He can also drive tanks. Links:

http://ani5972.multiply.com/video/it..._Top_Gear_2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4EQM27t9RU

Anyway just a recent observation. His music still annoys me.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2009-11-13, 17:32

I hate when Rutgers does stupid things. For example, scheduling a final at 4PM on the 23rd of December and making me fly home Christmas Eve.

Or the stupid Post Office crap. We
have 5 subcampuses and you get a box on the one you live on. Well thanks to cuts they now send packages to College Ave ('primary' campus) first, hand sort to sub campus, then take forever to sort the notice slip into your box. So it can takr 2-3 days AFTER your package gets to Rutgers New Brunswick yo get to your box, and worst case it can be up to 5 days. It makes me glad I have an offcampus address to use as backup. Anyways, they slashed the hours on my campus' post to 10-3 with lunch closer from 12-1. Worse, you can't SHIP from that post anymore. You gotta go to the main PO on College Ave to ship now, which is totally dumb.

Despite slashing the PO system, though, we totally could borrow millions from the state to expand the f-ing stadium. x.x
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-11-13, 17:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
Despite slashing the PO system, though, we totally could borrow millions from the state to expand the f-ing stadium. x.x
Oh god. College athletics in general are among my pet peeves. But hey, gotta keep the alumni happy, so that they give you money when they croak. And they just lurve college sports, for some reason.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-11-13, 18:37

They love big time football because it beings in the most money and most recognition for the school.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-11-13, 19:03

Yeah, people get absolutely bonkers about that stuff. I've seen more arguments, falling-outs and near-fights over college football than any other reason/spur out there!

"Youn's can bang mah wife and steal that dog...but don't ye damn say nothin' about Georgia, motherfu...".

Seriously. That phrase (or variations thereof) is guaranteed to be uttered at least 270 times tonight and tomorrow, at sports bars across the city.

And when you live somewhere like Chattanooga, a "tri-state" region, you get this nutty horseshit from three sides...Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee. 3x the idiocy and hysteria. Every. Weekend.

I wouldn't walk across the street to piss on a Tide, Bulldog or Vol fan if they were on fire, so you can probably imagine where I come down on it all.

The one saving grace: it's the only situation where I'm able to mock and ridicule unhinged rednecks, yuppies and college students all at once, with a minimum of effort. It's like hitting the trifecta for a guy like me.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-11-13, 19:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
They love big time football because it beings in the most money and most recognition for the school.
I'd argue that it gets recognition for the team/club/organization, but the "school"? The educational institution? The facilities and faculty and staff?
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-11-13, 20:53

Yes, definitely the school.

As stupid as it sounds, many people choose a school based on their sports teams. Hell, I almost went to the University of Michigan because I liked the helmets the football team wears.

I think having a big time sports program is well worth the expense that universities spend.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Freewell

2009-11-23, 13:39

I was just out and about and was suddenly reminded of one of my pet peeves that really just bites my shorts!!!

I HATE it when people degrade the whole concept of having a ribbon for a cause by putting stupid crap on one of those magnetic ribbons they put on the back of their car!! Come on, people!!! I'm feelin' all warm and fuzzy that you love your little rat dog, but it is NOT worthy of putting on a ribbon, which is supposed be a symbol of a truly significant cause you are championing!!! Whether your cause be supporting our troops, breast cancer awareness, AIDS, heart disease, diabetes, or any other number of ongoing battles that we as a society are fighting to overcome... I am FINE with that, and even sympathize with your sentiment... But for crying out loud, don't cheapen and mock the fierceness of the battle of these more noble causes to tell us about your personal preferences in where you shop or go to school, what gaming system most appeals to you, or what type animal you invest your time, attention and resources on!!! If nothing else, it makes you look extremely ignorant. There are bumper-stickers for that stuff. Srsly.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2009-11-23, 15:44

Ettiquette question:

If you see someone on the street who is wearing and talking into a bluetooth headset, but is just walking rather than driving, it is OK to smack it off their head and stamp on it, right?

Because it should be.
ronmexico

2009-11-23, 15:47

I believe so...and in Europe I believe it is customary to actually shove it up their ass.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2009-11-23, 15:48

The Europeans have always been more adventurous in that department.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2009-11-23, 15:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
The Europeans have always been more adventurous in that department.
I, for one, can vouch for that.
murbot
Hoonigan

2009-11-23, 16:00

7 minutes, not bad!

(that's what he said?)

murbot
Hoonigan

2009-11-23, 19:02

I hate Me Monsters.

A little Brian Regan can go a loooong way, but you have to agree with him.