Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Keynote, how will you watch yours ?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Keynote, how will you watch yours ?
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
williamsdirect

2006-01-08, 05:16

As you have already noticed I am not very good at this, but I would like to watch the keynote speech without knowing it's contents beforehand, I arrive home at 6pm GMT, and ideally I would like to come home have my dinner then stroll over to my G5 refresh a page I had loaded before I went to work that morning and bingo, the keynote will unfold before me, does anybody know how I could make this possible.

sorry about the mess
Chris
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-01-08, 05:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsdirect
Please don't mock the afflicted

Chris
Sorry mate. Welcome to AN.

I have not even got up to speed on whether there is a broadcast yet...

Is there going to be one, anyone?

I am guessing you want to have it automatically download so you don't have to wait for it to download when you get home?

You will probably find that the chances of leaving a machine to do that without supervision with the amount of people trying to view the web cast / download the movie is *zilch*. It's gonna time out, especially on us non-US based Mac people...

The new quicktime streaming video is pretty good to be honest, so by the time you get home, assuming that Apple has put it up online, then I would guess starting it, pausing the movie, and then making a cup of coffee, will probably mean that it's pretty much ready to go when you get back from making said cup of coffee... You may get a few pauses here and there..

That's assuming you have a decent connection.
Mine is pretty slow for adsl in Thailand, and that's pretty much what I do anyway..

With regards to avoiding the news... If that's what you mean. Do what I do when I am out and about on a Sunday and F1 is on. Go "LALALALLALALLALALA" whenever anyone talks to you, and avoid tvs and newspapers!

Does that answer your question?

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Wrao
Yarp

2006-01-08, 06:06

I never watch the keynotes. I watched one, it wasn't all that entertaining for me. I prefer to just wake up after the keynote has happened and see what's new on apple.com.
BenP

2006-01-08, 09:21

So MWSF starts tomorrow but Jobs speaks on Tuesday? Is that 9 AM Pacific time?

williamsdirect, you might want to look
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-01-08, 09:30

Yes, 9:00am Pacific...noon for me.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2006-01-08, 10:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
Is there going to be one, anyone?
Not a live stream... a replay will be available though.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2006/1/4/2317
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-01-08, 11:06

I think Macrumors will be doing their usual updates from the show floor (or try to anyway).
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-01-08, 11:20

[snip]

I wonder if Apple will ever do PPV keynotes. Hey if I could watch it via DirecTV, I'd pay $3 for it. Might even pay $5, but definitely not more than 5.

...into the light of a dark black night.
kuliand2

2006-01-08, 11:49

so the keynote isn't until tuesday? i allways thought the keynotes were on the first day. i was looking forward to finding out about all the new stuff tomorrow but it looks like i will have to wait another day.
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2006-01-08, 11:52

Weren't you asking about how to get the keynote without seeing the front page of apple.com? That's how I'm planning on doing it. I believe http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/appleevents/ will list it... without any of the new goodies being shown.

Oh, and don't mind everyone else here... they're just reliving an old joke, so they're not really making that much fun of you.

Last edited by Majost : 2006-01-08 at 12:01.
Addison

2006-01-08, 11:57

The could, but I guess we would need iTunes 6.1 dp a PPV using iTunes, you could even chose your quality according to your bandwidth and how much you were prepared to pay. It's not like Apple to miss an oppertunity like this... but why did they stop streaming until after the show anyway?

Do the edit out the bloopers?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-01-08, 12:01

Well iTunes would be OK but really you're still streaming it into a computer. All the same technical issues would apply the same as if you were watching it in a web browser or QT window. If it was a televised PPV event on a cable or satellite service OTOH, there would be zero lag, garbled transmission, etc. That I would pay for. The iTunes variant I wouldn't unless it were -what else- $.99.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-01-08, 12:14

If you want to skip all the spoiler headlines, just create a bookmark to this address:

http://stream.apple.akadns.net/

That address is where Apple always puts up the latest keynote/event stream. If for some reason it's not posted there, the next logical URL would be:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/mwsf06/

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
MacConvert

2006-01-08, 14:44

Thanks for the links Brad. I was hoping to catch the Keynote withour any spoilers. When the nano was introduced, I rushed to the Internet at work as soon as I knew the event was over to read about it. Later that night, I watched it without as much interest as i had before reading about it.

I just want to watch the Keynote and revel in the prodicts as they are introduced. This way, any disappointments will be less disappointing.
williamsdirect

2006-01-08, 14:45

Thank you for that Brad it is installed on my bookmarks bar now.
Am I correct in saying that San Francisco is 8hrs behind gmt, so if Steve stands up at 10am it will be 6pm uk.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-01-08, 14:58

You're correct. I'm in US Central time which is +2 hrs California time and -6 hrs GMT. But Teh Steve is starting the keynote at 9 AM California time, so that's 11 AM for me and 5 PM for you.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2006-01-08, 15:00

9am PT, 10am MT, 11 CT, Noon PM ET......5 PM GMT.

That pretty much covers everonr here(Except Germany and Australia).

Noon is great because by the time I wake up(1) I won't have to wait for the front page to change. lol

Jebus Google, just buy Apple already...
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-01-08, 15:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Yes, 9:00am Pacific...noon for me.
You sure? Others are saying it starts at 10 AM Pacific. Is it 9 or 10? Anyone know for sure?
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2006-01-08, 15:07

Quote:
Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO, will deliver the opening keynote address for Macworld Conference & Expo in San Francisco on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 at 9:00 a.m.
Really it won't start till 9:30..But that is what they call building suspense.

I think everyone is still in Vegas time(MT)
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-01-08, 15:07

9 AM PST.

http://macworldexpo.com/live/20/even...FO06A/keynotes
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-01-08, 15:13

I wonder what time John Mayer is scheduled to play?
Bill M

2006-01-08, 15:26

Keynotes via c-band satellite TV were really cool. Nothing like watching it live on a big screen with surround sound speakers; almost like being there. It was the best way to avoid spoiler headlines. Too bad Apple stopped broadcasting live via satellite in the clear a couple of years ago. Maybe whatever - if any - new QuickTime AV distribution technologies for home theaters hopefully being introduced soon will bring back live feeds, albeit online this time around.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-01-08, 15:27

Poor John Mayer, he's really not that bad. (I own a few songs from him)

I have to wait until after class (3:00 PM) to see the magic (or not so magic) news,.

Have you noticed how much better QuickTime has become in comparison to WMP or Real?? I can't stand to watch anything streaming unless it is QT. The Bill Gates keynote is a prime example of the poor quality of WMP.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-01-08, 15:30

No, he's not bad. It's just he's been at the last two. I'm simply expecting a trifecta.

WAIT...they could have a Keynote Super Group: Kanye West, with Alicia Keys on piano, The Edge and John Mayer on guitars, Wynton Marsalis on trumpet and Bono wearing weird sunglasses and doing that whole "walking on water/feeding the multitudes" thing he does!

morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2006-01-08, 15:34

No..John Mayer won't be playing....

The John Mayer Trio will!
kuliand2

2006-01-08, 16:05

i still prefer downloads streaming never works perfect for me, my conection isn't that bad 1mb proberly slow compared to the rest of the world but it's the best i can get. i would defently pay £1-£3 to download the keynote's by steve jobs i find them more entertaining than most films.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-01-08, 16:28

I'll be watching it from the floor of MacWorld Expo

Anyone else going?
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-01-08, 16:51

It's hard for me to decide what to do, since I have class that starts at 10:30 So, if I follow along with the rumor sites I'll see everything except the 'one more thing' :angry:.

However, my Mac User Group has a meeting later in the day, so I kinda have to keep up with what's going on. The cool thing is, though, that at our meeting we'll be having a video chat with one of our members at Macworld, so I'll get to see the new stuff up close and (sort of) personal.

On a side note, I think it's pretty possible that Apple will put the keynote on iTunes as a free download (maybe as a video podcast?) Their quarterly earnings reports have been on there as a podcast for a while now, and since this is the first keynote after iTunes started selling videos, it's quite possible.
rasmits
rams it

2006-01-08, 18:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningstarrising
OT, I'm so mad he did that... I hope he goes back to doing what he did before really soon.
userinterface

2006-01-08, 19:48

Well after apple release it's ViiV solution, they keynote will be available for replay on your tv at least next year, or maybe live next year ;-)